Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 17th, 2002, 11:11 AM   #1
DaveC001
Shuttle Pilot

Default My response to Moore's latest interview

It's too long for this board, apparently, so here's a link.

http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/brows...1/5/531/316853
DaveC001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2002, 11:22 AM   #2
dah66
Warrior

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Thank you for putting so much time into your arguments.

Dave
dah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2002, 11:33 AM   #3
havoc315
Shuttle Pilot

Thanks for the post, I hadn't seen this interview by RDM...

Despite your rebuttal, I would think that if people actually turned off their debate mode and listened, they would hear that RDM is alleviating their fears.

For those who said the Starbuck and Apollo relationship is being entirely wiped out, he clearly stated they will still be best friends.
For those who were afraid Starbuck and Apollo would sleep together, that's definitely not happening in the short term. (He simply implied it might be possible in the long term, but anything is possible in the long term).
For those afraid that Baltar was brainwashed, although he wouldn't give details, he clearly stated that Baltar would still betray the colonies out of personal motivation.

For the most part, based on the interview, it sounds like he is being exceptionally true to the original BSG, but with a bit more backstory.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2002, 11:42 AM   #4
Afan2
Bad Email Address

Thumbs up

Well, others might disagree, but I think Stallion_Cornell is spot-on.
Ron Moore's plans are millions of lightyears away from the 'Galactica' universe.
Afan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2002, 11:53 AM   #5
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

I could not have put it any better sir.

Excellant!
Titon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2002, 12:08 PM   #6
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

actually havoc... its as we feared... starbuck is a girl. they WILL have a relationship... that is what we were hoping would not happen.

And he is only being true superficially. We want the new BG to have the heart of the old beast, not the dressings.
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2002, 12:10 PM   #7
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Originally posted by havoc315,

Quote:
For the most part, based on the interview, it sounds like he is being exceptionally true to the original BSG, but with a bit more backstory
Do you believe that we are ignorant fans? For the last week you have done nothing but add analogy to an already beatin down horse. Why someone that has been around the net cannot see what the fans of this show want is beyond me. Why, please tell me why you are a fan of Galactica? While waiting all these years for a revival would you want to see the show you have been "waiting for", cut to pieces?

Nowhere in hollywood creation does this resemble Galactica. Not one stinking analogy can you come up with that will justify what RDM is doing.

Folks RDM is about to destroy Galactica, plain and simple. What Stallion penned here is DEAD on! Galactica will be a distant aberration. Gone will be the characters, themes, ships, concepts, cylons and colonies that we all joyfully remember. They will be replaced with idiotic storylines that will leave more holes that many believe were left by the original. Gone will be the main driving factors of a WELL concieved story. Gone will be the ability to gain the answers and show we have been seeking for 25 years! Gone will be the ability for my children to watch something of a quality scifi show. Gone will be the legendary characters created by John Colicos, Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict, Lorne Greene, Anne Lockhart, Herb Jefferson Jr., Loyd Bridges, Jack Stauffer and all of the rest of this rememberable cast!

There will be no Galactica as long as Ron Moore is heading this reimagination. Plain and simple. For those non believers continue to back this mans vision and watch in horror as Galactica burns in flames!

Old December 17th, 2002, 12:16 PM   #8
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Stallion is indeed spot on!
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2002, 12:18 PM   #9
havoc315
Shuttle Pilot

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Titon
Originally posted by havoc315,

Are you that blind or just that ignorant. For the last week you have done nothing but add wasteful analogy to an already beatin down horse. Why someone that has been around the net cannot see what the fans of this show want is beyond me. Why, please tell me why you are a fan of Galactica? While waiting all these years for a revival would you want to see the show you have been "waiting for", cut to pieces?
[q/quote]

What parts are being cut to pieces? If you read the article, sounds like it is staying mostly the same.

Quote:

Nowhere in hollywood creation does this resemble Galactica. Not one stinking analogy can you come up with that will justify what RDM is doing.
ER does not resemble Galactica. Everybody Loves Raymond does not resemble Galactica. But RDM's remake is extremely similar to the original BSG.

Quote:

Folks RDM is about to destroy Galactica, plain and simple. What Stallion penned here is DEAD on! Galactica will be a distant aberration. Gone will be the characters, themes, ships, concepts, cylons and colonies that we all joyfully remember.
huh? RDM is on record saying most of the characters will be the same or similar. (Starbuck sounds identical with a change in gender. Apollo sounds almost 100% identical, except maybe a bit more distant from his father). Gone will be the themes? Of anything, RDM said he is keeping the same themes, just adding more backstory. Ships? RDM says he is going to keep the same ship. Concepts? Based on every interview, RDM said he is using the same concepts with more backstory. Cylons? Same cylons, with more backstory. Colonies? He seems to be keeping the same colonial world, simply merged in to one planet.

You say all those things will be gone, but there is just zero evidence to support your claim.

Quote:
They will be replaced with idiotic storylines that will leave more holes that many believe were left by the original. Gone will be the main driving factors of a WELL concieved story. Gone will be the ability to gain the anwers and show we have been seeking for 25 years! Gone will be the ability for my children to watch something of a quality scifi show. Gone will be the legendary characters created by John Colicos, Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict, Lorne Greene, Anne Lockhart, Herb Jefferson Jr., Loyd Bridges, Jack Stauffer and all of the rest of this rememberable cast!
John Colicos, Lorne Greene, Lloyd Bridges are certainly gone... But you can't blame RDM for the fact that their dead!

As to the legendary characters... How do you know that the new characters won't be equally legendary?? You don't know, its idle speculation.
Old December 17th, 2002, 12:24 PM   #10
Apothis
On Vacation...

Default 2 Different Perspectives are healthy for fandom

I really do think Havoc is a fan of Battlestar Galactica. He just has a different viewpoint than most on the board. Personally I can see where he is coming from. I signed the pro-Moore petition and support what Havoc has to say just because fundamentally everyone has the right to an opinion. I WILL watch the new Battlestar Galactica but that does not mean I will burn my videos of the original Battlestar Galactica. I am waiting to hear what Michael has to say about the script before I just call the new show bad. No matter if you like Havoc's view or you hate it with a passion, it is a legitimate position. I will wait to judge the new program under its new merits. Two perspectives are good for all. After all Galactica fans are not sheep.
Apothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2002, 12:26 PM   #11
repcisg
Bad Email Address

All while I support any one who wishes to post here, havoc315 reads more like a lawyer defending a client than a fan. A good lawyer will not become emotionally involved in hes/her argument but will put forward facts that may or may not directly support their point. It is up to the opposition to refute those points. Please note how little passion is in havoc315's arguments and how much time and energy is being spent refuting Havoac's points..

Again this is not an attack on you havoc315, but you read as if you are RDM's lawyer and not just an interested fan. I have an uncle who ran a mulit-billion dollor corp. for many years, enven though he's been retried for more than 10 years, to this day he has problems dealing with family as equals and not as employee's.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2002, 12:34 PM   #12
Apothis
On Vacation...

Maybe Havoc315 is a lawyer and that is the only way he knows how to debate? He may not be passionate but he argues his points well.
Old December 17th, 2002, 12:37 PM   #13
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

To compare RDM's version to the real BSG is like comparing Starbuck to a girl Starbuck, it can't be done. Kudo's Stallion
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2002, 12:39 PM   #14
Apothis
On Vacation...

By the way Stallion makes good points regarding his view of Battlestar Galactica. Does Havoc have a hidden agenda? I don't think so. He is probably just a Ron Moore Fan wanting to stick up for his guy. I really don't think Universal would use a plant just to justify the new show. Anyways that is my two cents.
Old December 17th, 2002, 12:41 PM   #15
havoc315
Shuttle Pilot

Default Re: 2 Different Perspectives are healthy for fandom

Quote:
Originally posted by Apothis
I really do think Havoc is a fan of Battlestar Galactica. He just has a different viewpoint than most on the board. Personally I can see where he is coming from. I signed the pro-Moore petition and support what Havoc has to say just because fundamentally everyone has the right to an opinion. I WILL watch the new Battlestar Galactica but that does not mean I will burn my videos of the original Battlestar Galactica. I am waiting to hear what Michael has to say about the script before I just call the new show bad. No matter if you like Havoc's view or you hate it with a passion, it is a legitimate position. I will wait to judge the new program under its new merits. Two perspectives are good for all. After all Galactica fans are not sheep.
ummm... thanks apothis. But for the record, whether the new BSG is great or horrible, I also won't cease being a fan of the original BSG.

Though it's a far fetched example, my wife and I have the Spency Tracy version of "Father of the Bride" on videotape, as well as the Steve Martin version.
Old December 17th, 2002, 12:44 PM   #16
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

You may be right Apothis and he does have that right but he is one of very few that see it that way, at least here
S
Old December 17th, 2002, 01:15 PM   #17
dah66
Warrior

Quote:
By the way Stallion makes good points regarding his view of Battlestar Galactica. Does Havoc have a hidden agenda? I don't think so. He is probably just a Ron Moore Fan wanting to stick up for his guy. I really don't think Universal would use a plant just to justify the new show. Anyways that is my two cents.
Hidden agenda?

From what I can tell, Havoc has been here all day posting constantly. That seems odd to me. If he is a lawyer, where are his clients? Where is he billing this time to? -- "Um, sorry we lost the case Mr. Robinson, but I had to show my support for the new Battlestar Galactica production."

Maybe he is on vacation and this is how he enjoys spending his free time.

This is just odd. How many posts has this guy made today? It has to be over 30. I love the show and I don't post that much in an average month.
Old December 17th, 2002, 01:35 PM   #18
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Maybe he is getting paid to post here?
Old December 17th, 2002, 01:41 PM   #19
Apothis
On Vacation...

Default Hidden Agendas

dah66
"From what I can tell, Havoc has been here all day posting constantly. That seems odd to me."

Dah66,
Many people post here everyday. SteveW, muffit, Warrior, rgrant, you, me etc. post on almost a daily basis. Does that mean we all have secret agendas? I don't think so. If Havoc is paid to do this that strikes me as odd since I think Universal will do what they want to regardless of what we say on this board. I don't even think they come here to read what is going on. They work with demographic groups and such when it comes to working on a new show. I feel it so silly to think Universal people would actually come here to read our opinions when we are not the demographic they are looking to win over. That strikes me as a a waste of time and resources Havoc is just a fan who is willing to be the Devil's Advocate.
Old December 17th, 2002, 01:51 PM   #20
dah66
Warrior

Apothis,

Many people post every day, not all day. It seems odd. That's all that I am saying.

Why would a gainfully employed lawyer spend an entire day posting to this site defending his thoughts and opinions? Ron Moore has won. The production is green lit and they are moving forward. So, why is he here trying to convert many of us over to his way of thinking? I don't think that it is unreasonable for others and myself to find this behavior suspicious.
Old December 17th, 2002, 01:55 PM   #21
Apothis
On Vacation...

I guess so. He could just a former lawyer who now has enough money to retire so he can post all day. I don't know him personally but he does love to post his opinions.
Old December 17th, 2002, 02:04 PM   #22
dah66
Warrior

Quote:
I guess so. He could just a former lawyer who now has enough money to retire so he can post all day. I don't know him personally but he does love to post his opinions.
That he does!

Old December 17th, 2002, 09:45 PM   #23
Pelee_Rising

What I would like to know is what Glen Larson had in mind. I keep seeing in the various forums which I go to the question was Starbuck a male in the original. What I saw in the pilot and series was a male character and I have no reason at this point to believe that Larson switched the sex of the Starbuck character from the original write to the series. Until I hear otherwise, it is my belief the character was always male.
Starbuck and Apollo worked out well as best friends. With Starbucks' background of being ophaned as a child it seems very likely it would be a he and that Apollo and family could very well become like the family he lost.