Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 2nd, 2003, 01:00 AM   #1
ojai22
Dancing Viper Queen

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Default Cross-Post

qmodo doesn't post here so I'm posting this message from the SciFi Board. The article is really interesting.....ojai22
-----------------------------------------------

Date: 03/01/2003

New article over at my site: this one should be, uh, interesting:

http://www.geocities.com/sjpaxton/yeartwo.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old March 2nd, 2003, 01:01 AM   #2
ojai22
Dancing Viper Queen

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

If this is what Larson would have done with the second season, it's a blessing BSG was cancelled so it could be resurrected later in it's native state. Why couldn't Larson see what he had? Now Moore would like to do the same thing to this show - eliminate some of the characters and change the rest. It's amazing to me that TPTB don't understand the BSG universe as well as the fans.

***“Despite this unprecedented assault Galactica has emerged with a core audience who will seek her out no matter where she is.”***

The man got something right!

***(“Battlestar supporters are almost entirely void of teenage girls and women.”)

The author then goes on to suggest what would be done to “improve” BG in its second season. “The women of our crew will take more important parts in the adventures of the Galactica staff which will give the women in the audience more identification with our characters.***

I didn't watch that show to identify with the women characters. I was there strictly for the hunks. But I wouldn't watch Apollo as a wimp, or Boomer as an Einstein. Starbuck would have to lose all his charm to take command of anything. We were saved from that desecration, now we face Moore's. If we've come full circle perhaps we can get a toe-hold now and climb back up.

Very impressive article, qmodo. Thanks for your insights.

ojai22
Old March 2nd, 2003, 09:14 AM   #3
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

Thanks! This has been a huge inspiration for me. I'm tired of trying to explain why heroes in stories are so important- I need to *write* a hero story, and one that isn't 'cardboard' or, ah, 'popcorn'.

I'd been thinking about this for a while, but needed a solid main point. Here it is.
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2003, 11:18 AM   #4
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

I'd love to know what the surviving cast think of the proposed second season changes!

Regards,

Peter
Old March 2nd, 2003, 12:09 PM   #5
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Wow! that is quite an article!! Methinks Mr. Larson lacked the vision of a JMS and didn't know how to stick to the core stuff that made his story great.
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2003, 12:11 PM   #6
ojai22
Dancing Viper Queen

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

I forgot to mention something and it's degrading, it's belittling. A woman named Areola? Whoever wrote this, didn't he have a wife, or daughters? Or is this person just totally ignorant....
ojai22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 11:06 AM   #7
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Sheba killed off

I couldn't believe that they were going to kill off one of the strongest female characters on the show. Worse than that was bringing Cain and the Pegasus back as androids. Sounds like Westworld in space.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote