Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > Shattered Worlds > Costuming Guild
Notices
Costuming Guild For the costuming

Old March 29th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #61
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Default Re: Warrior's Costume gunbelt construction

I think Monolith is volunteering to provide belt mods to the costuming group lol Chris Pappas might still have the most accurate belts out there, but Monlith is trying hard to catch up lol

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #62
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I doubt mine will end up THAT accurate, but I'm going to give it the ol' college try. It can be quite the frustrating process I can tell you that much! More pictures are coming. As of now I have one belt that is almost a very dark purple and one that is medium gray. Definitely needs to be a bit darker. The question is, do I go with mixing the gray and some black, denim blue and gray, or the suggested Navy blue and gray...

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #63
Sarika
Strike Leader

And he's got an order for some cubits for me as well!!!

All this and he still can find time to make gun belts!(Making any pink fluffly ones too, Mark?)

The Last Piscon Siress

HSH Princess Sarika Her Highness' MySpace
Sarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:10 AM   #64
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Not as of yet but I might just make a pink "fliffy" one for you!

Okay here are the first of the pictures. The next white belt is going with the Pearl Gray and Navy dye bath. So far none of these are really grabbing me. The darker of the two is getting pretty close though.

First up, the unsuspecting white belt.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 30th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #65
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Monolith, the belts are looking good so far, but you're right, none of them are grabbing me either. I'm still liking the black belt I have now best from all this. Maybe I'll send you my blue belt for you to play around with as well. See what starting blue does for your experiments.

But I like how you're gonig about this have you tried taking one of the dyed belts and then redying it? perhaps a number of dye jobs will do the trick (not that this would make it easy for us lol)

Old March 30th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #66
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Actually the gray belt started out life as the AF blue belt. I dyed it in black and it came out a really dark blue. So I color stripped it and started over with just gray to see how that would come out. There you have it...gray. It would make a decent Ghostbusters belt, but not so much for the Colonial Warrior.

I'm anxious to see how the Pearl Grey/Navy belt turns out. I've also got a black belt coming just in case! The black is definitely closer than that AF blue belt.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 31st, 2009, 05:26 AM   #67
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith21 View Post
Actually the gray belt started out life as the AF blue belt. I dyed it in black and it came out a really dark blue. So I color stripped it and started over with just gray to see how that would come out. There you have it...gray. It would make a decent Ghostbusters belt, but not so much for the Colonial Warrior.

I'm anxious to see how the Pearl Grey/Navy belt turns out. I've also got a black belt coming just in case! The black is definitely closer than that AF blue belt.
If you want to try it, What about the AF blue belt witht he grey dye? If black made it a really dark blue, then maybe the grey will steal up the color a bit. lol

let me know man, I already have a package coming together for you (it'll go out tomorrow) I can strip down the blue belt and send it as well.

Old April 1st, 2009, 12:51 AM   #68
monolith21
Squadron Leader

If you want to send it I'll be happy to experiment with it! Its up to you man. If nothing else I'm positive I can make it black when we're through toying with it! lol

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old April 1st, 2009, 05:50 PM   #69
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Ok question. How many screw posts did you use on your belt? 3? Oh and it looks like the screw posts are screen accurate!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old April 1st, 2009, 06:44 PM   #70
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

I used 3 Screw posts per holster. I zoomed in on the two holsters here:

On the blue belt, which is on it's way to you now, I had mounted the holster higher, using the top most holes in the belt. I did this to see if it made any difference in the hang of the holster. (I also trimmed a bit off the top of the holster)

Depending on how the dying goes (if we achieve steel grey or if it ends up being black lol) I'm going to turn the spare holster into a lefty holster. If you look at Apollo's Holster he doesn't have one molded for a lefty, he has a righty holster mounted on the opposite side. The prop guys then cut a channel into the high part of the holster for the pistol grip to fit into. I'm going to try this, see how it works.

But to answer your question again, yes, 3 screw posts lol

Old April 1st, 2009, 10:00 PM   #71
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Sweet! Yeah I'm going to have to trim a bit off mine as well. As is the pistol in holster sits quite low.

Next question, anyone know how thick of Kydex was used on the screen used holsters? I might have to post this over at ASAP!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old April 1st, 2009, 10:33 PM   #72
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Its funny, after searching through some old posts on ASAP, you and I really have crossed paths for years Ed! Its funny how we only recently struck up as friends! While searching some old threads I came across one about the gun belt.

http://www.propreplicas.yuku.com/topic/10578?page=1

An oldie but a goodie. In case anyone can't view that thread the main reason I'm posting a link here is for the Kydex needed to make a holster. You can get it here...

http://www.polymerplastics.com/formingrade_kydex.shtml

I was told in that thread to go with .030" thickness but it was a sort of "this should work" suggestion. I'm still looking to find out what thickness the screen used holsters were.

If you do decide to go this route you'll need a pattern for the holster and you'll have to decide if you're going to go the black Kydex painted brown screen accurate route or just order the Chocolate Kydex. You'll also need a heat gun to form it around your laser. Hope that helps!

I'm still trying to convince a buddy of mine to laser cut some Kydex for me. He does it out of his house and has a bunch of Kydex! I don't want to get everyone's hopes up but definitely keep your fingers crossed.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein