Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > ART Work - In Progress
Notices

Old March 16th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Default Battlestar interior prefabs

So I decided to take a few days off from the Shuttle, and play around with the battlestar interior stuff a bit more. I'm starting to organize all the interior components into a pre-fab library. Ironically thats sort of the way the original sets were built anyhow.

The discussion about rivets the other day made me think about how unhappy I was with my previous riveting job on a few panels, So I decided to have another go at it.

This is the first component in my new pre-fab set I'll be working on. I have fixed up my old version quite a bit and made it a little closer to cannon. My rivets are more exaggerated the original set was made with, but a lot smaller then the ones I had last try.
This model is currently around 2 million polys and will be used to generate the normal map for the 3 LOD models. So just to use this in game I have to build at least 6 different versions of this.

1. The high detail version to generate the normal map
2. The close up game model LOD # 0 a couple thousand polys
3. The medium distance game model LOD #1 a few hundred polys
4. The distant model LOD #3, twenty or thirty polys
5. The collision model which which is only about 150 verts
6. and an "occlusion" model which is only about 30 polys. This one is a "no draw" model like the physics model but it prevents the engine from trying to render objects behind it.

I still have to add some lights and pipes to this, and I'll use a late season reference for that , since they added stuff to it during the series.Attachment 4640
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bulkhead_rivets_02.jpg (357.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Bulkhead_rivets_03.jpg (526.5 KB, 9 views)
Punisher454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 04:05 AM   #2
gmd3d
Major

Default Re: Battlestar interior prefabs

looks like a super job ..

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 07:38 AM   #3
gmd3d
Major

any updates

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 11:40 PM   #4
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

I was out of town all weekend, just got home a few hours ago.
I had to rebuild a lot of that bulkhead due to a stupid mistake at the beginning
The good news is that I have a wall that looks as good with about 600k polys as it did with about 2 million.
I'll have something to show later this week, I have to test some different normal mapping ideas I have for the rivets and see whats best.
The fun thing is that with this bulkhead and a couple othersI'm planning , I can cut them up different ways and build a whole bunch of different structural walls real quick and easy.
I'll also work more on the Shuttle this week. I have to program a chip for a fuel injection retrofit (my other hobby) this week, so I'll not be getting much modeling time.
Punisher454 is offline   Reply With Quote