Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > All About Models
Notices
All About Models Information on making models, real or CGI. Tutorials as well.
Requests and questions should be posted here.

Old December 31st, 2004, 04:42 AM   #1
Apollon

Default Has anyone ordered their viper/raider models from joyride?

Has anyone ordered their Colonial Viper and Cylon Raider vehicle replicas yet? They're supposedly due out at the end of December.

http://www.joyridestudios.com/bsg.asp
Old December 31st, 2004, 07:59 AM   #2
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Apollon -

I know that Jewels ordered hers a while back, but she got a message stating that the release date for the figures had been pushed back to March 2005. I know I'm gonna order mine!

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2004, 02:31 PM   #3
Apollon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999
Apollon -

I know that Jewels ordered hers a while back, but she got a message stating that the release date for the figures had been pushed back to March 2005. I know I'm gonna order mine!

Best,
Bryan
I was thinking about getting the figures as well, but I decided on ordering the ships first. Can't wait to receive them. I wish they had the Galactica and Cylon Baseship.
Old January 4th, 2005, 10:13 AM   #4
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

I ordered mine back in June!!! Last I heard that they would be released in January, but this date seems very fluid...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 10:29 AM   #5
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999
Apollon -

Best,
Bryan
The ones I got the delay notice on were the 3" Japanese models of 4 ships and a centurian.

The joyride ones (6" viper, raider and centurion) only said they would ship end of December. Haven't gotten a notice that they had shipped yet though. Only supposed to take 5-9 days once they do ship.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 01:04 PM   #6
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan ForceFounder/President
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

I heard from Joyride the other day (their organizer is a contributor to CFF). He says the first ones have arrived in the US from China, and should be shipping soon.
Old January 5th, 2005, 04:49 AM   #7
Apollon

I received email notification that mine were shipped yesterday via UPS.
Old January 5th, 2005, 01:39 PM   #8
jewels

Colonial Fleets

I got the same note, Apollon. Checked the tracking number with UPS and I will have mine tomorrow from joyride.

NOTE: Joyride's store is at www.diecastexpress.com

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

Old January 6th, 2005, 01:28 AM   #9
Fragmentary

Can we count on you guys to post reviews? Maybe even photos of the actual items as opposed to the prototypes? I'm sure it would be much appreciated.
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2005, 04:30 AM   #10
Apollon

Got mine yesterday. Here are a few pics for your viewing pleasure:

Old January 7th, 2005, 04:34 AM   #11
Apollon

A few more pics:

Old January 7th, 2005, 04:38 AM   #12
Apollon

The ships are all made of plastic and the detail is very nice. There are no landing gears on the Raider, but the Viper has a set of 3 landing gears which are removable. The Colonial Warrior is a bit small considering the Viper's size, but the figure sits well in the coclkpit. Only 2 of the Centurions can be removed from the Raider (I assume the 3rd one can too with a bit of tinkering).
Old January 7th, 2005, 10:51 AM   #13
Fragmentary

Thanks Apollon
THose looks pretty sweet actually. Cool collectibles and another way to support to original show.
Old January 7th, 2005, 12:44 PM   #14
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Here's a quandry: I know this sort of thing "mint in the package" is more valuable over time. The packaging is really quite nice too. But I really, badly want to hold that Viper. (Hey I only waited 26 years for it to be OK to be a girl and have a Viper toy )

I took the cylon out because I wanted to see what the rifle was like (you have to carefully balance it in his hands to keep it there, btw. He looks wild standing in front of my Breyer horses. He's about to be trampled and we know horses are faster than Cylons.

I'm slightly torn about opening up the raider and the viper.....but they would look so good on my shelf with that Centurion.

Jewels

Old January 7th, 2005, 01:18 PM   #15
Rowan
On Vacation...

((((((((((((((Jewels)))))))))))))))

ask yourself why you bought them to begin with was it to enjoy them or for an investment?
if part of the joy of owning them for you is to hold them and play with them and re arange them then open the packaging!! If you bought for an investment then don't! But I think you know the answer to this question!! Save the packaging when you open it as a compromise it might still be of interest if you should ever decide to sell it
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #16
Fragmentary

About ten years ago, something happened to the Toy and Action Figure market, and that was that everyone figured out that the toys they had as kids were worth money now that everyone was growed up. And that was when people started buying things on speculation. The result is that for every individual collecter who buys one toy and leaves it in the package, there is a guy buying them by the case and putting them in storage for the purpose of reselling them later on.

Go ahead and open your toy. Then get bored with it, forget it somewhere and wait for the dog to chew it up.

Frag
Old January 7th, 2005, 02:39 PM   #17
Apollon

Yeah, I opened them as soon as I got them and displayed them by my computer. I intend to keep and enjoy them, not re-sell them.
Old January 7th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #18
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

When I buy new "toys" - I consider that they may be worth something someday, but I prefer to "play" with them, or display them. I could buy one to display and one to keep in the package for future value, but I really can't justify spending twice the amount and storing all that packaged stuff.

I'm just a big kid at heart and I love my toys! Screw the investment and just have fun!

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Old January 7th, 2005, 02:44 PM   #19
Rowan
On Vacation...

while clearing out my boyfriends parents house this past summer we came accross a box of his old toys filled with Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica and Space 1999 ships and characters I've been having so much fun holding them and playing with them the room where the computer is where I have them and they are EVERYWHERE LOL!

As a girl I was never given any of these growing up but I wanted them badly now I have a ton of them
Old January 7th, 2005, 10:08 PM   #20
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll be opening them tomorrow. I just wasn't expecting a pretty package with my "toys."

Rowan, that is so cool. Did he have a Millenium Falcon? I was drooling over those "original trilogy" ones at Christmas (the one that opened up and the figures fit in.) Sweet.

Jewels

Old January 7th, 2005, 11:02 PM   #21
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels

Rowan, that is so cool. Did he have a Millenium Falcon? I was drooling over those "original trilogy" ones at Christmas (the one that opened up and the figures fit in.) Sweet.

Jewels
alas NO! I would LOVE to have one of those!! He has Boba Fetts Slave-2, an X wing, a Tie fighter, and a Snow Speeder that are huge over a foot long. I'm thinking of hanging them from fishing line from the ceiling and creating like a battle in the air over my head - but first I'm going to get those glow in the dark stars and do the constellations of the northern hemisphere on the ceiling.
Old January 7th, 2005, 11:52 PM   #22
jewels

Colonial Fleets

I've always loved that millenium falcon too. Boys always got the best toys! :p

Old January 7th, 2005, 11:58 PM   #23
Rowan
On Vacation...

I agree that is soooo true!! I always wanted one of those Hot Wheels race tracks and I loved to play with Tonka trucks!! but instead I got barbies and dresses eck!!
Old February 5th, 2005, 06:15 PM   #24
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Default I got one!

I got one!

I got my new Colonial Viper display model in the mail today!

I have to say, considering that it's smaller in size than the model that Monogram put out, the detailing is pretty accurate! All of the panel lines are sharp and crisp and fairly flawless. The paint and striping is excellently done - there's even a faint hint of airbrushing at the leading edge of the engine intakes. It has a clear canopy that is hinged for opening, along with a semi-detailed cockpit with a pilot figure to go inside.

Overall, I love it and it makes a great display model on the stand. I put it right next to my Project Enterprises Space:1999 Eagle and it looks like the scale is almost the same!

There are one or two weak points that I will mention, just in case anyone wants to know...

1) The landing gear looks good, but not when you put it on the model - it also makes the Viper sit with the nose canted slightly upwards. I might trim off a teensy bit from the top and see if that helps.

2) The wings are damn wobbly! It's like they are just inserted into the side of the Viper, but aren't fixed in any way. At first, I thought that they were broken or something, but a bit of investigation proved me wrong. It doesn't hurt the model as a display, but if you are prone to "playing" with your toys, be careful!

3) I think that the Pilot figure and the cockpit seat are scaled a bit too small. I remember the live pilots pretty much filling the cockpit up and it looked kind of snug in there. In the model, there's ton's of room...

I did cruise by Suncoast Motion Picture like Steve (Martok) did, but they didn't have any of them. It looks like I'll have to order the Raider and Centurion off the internet like I did with the Viper.

I love being able to buy new TOS stuff 27 years after the show was originally broadcast. The Mattel BSG toys aren't nearly as cool as the JoyRide toys are!

Best,
Bryan

Old February 6th, 2005, 12:32 PM   #25
Fragmentary

Dang.
I'm jealous. I've stubbornly refused to order the viper on line but haven't been able to find it anywhere. The cylon raider I've seen in a couple of Suncoasts, but no viper or centurion.

This reminds me of that Christmas when everyone I knew got the Dukes of Hazzard car but me. Damn you, Santa! And your hostile corporate take-over of Suncoast.
Old February 6th, 2005, 01:52 PM   #26
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragmentary
Dang.
I'm jealous. I've stubbornly refused to order the viper on line but haven't been able to find it anywhere. The cylon raider I've seen in a couple of Suncoasts, but no viper or centurion.

This reminds me of that Christmas when everyone I knew got the Dukes of Hazzard car but me. Damn you, Santa! And your hostile corporate take-over of Suncoast.

Frag! I don't think there is a single post of yours I haven't enjoyed !!
Old February 6th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #27
Bojay
Daggit Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan
Frag!
FRAK!!!

Frag is to hit a higher officer or part of a genade!
Bojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #28
Bojay
Daggit Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan

As a girl I was never given any of these growing up
The horror, the horror.

Your father should be made to eat Cassiopia's mushies!!!
Old February 6th, 2005, 04:20 PM   #29
Bojay
Daggit Catcher

Default foul!!!

Hey moderators! Im trying to get 20 posts here, how come I got 14, 3 times!

your server must be from the New show, infected by the cylons!

" You will maintain radio silence until your board the Battlestar Pegasus"
Old February 7th, 2005, 10:00 AM   #30
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

I love the look of the toys but I must admit, the wobbly wings on the viper are sure annoying!!!

The figure of the Cylon is just awesome. I have him right next to my old Mattel cylons from 1978.

I opened them up. Why place it on the shelf in a package? Let's face it, if you love BSG this much, you ain't gonna sell the things later on, right? Just open them up and have fun!!!!

Now, I have to save some more cubits for the next set. I really want the Starbuck and Apollo figures...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote