Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old January 23rd, 2005, 04:58 AM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Thumbs up Favorite Comedy Movies...

What were some of your favorite comedy movies?

For myself, I would probably have to put "The Frisco Kid" at the top of my list.

From 1979, this was a western comedy that starred two of my alltime favorite actors: Gene Wilder (comic GENIUS) and Harrison Ford (still sporting the Star Wars Han Solo look).

Gene Wilder plays Polish student Avram Belinski who is rather unceremonisouly promoted to Rabbi by his Yashiva teacher..and is sent to San Francisco, to be the local rabbi there.

He has many misadventures and happens upon a bank robber named Tommy (Ford). Together, they form an uneasy friendship that quickly evolves into best-frienddom.

One of the best sequences is the duo's encounter with a tribe of Indians.

Despite the fact that this movie is a comedy...it handles its subject matter with great respect.

Many people usually make "Pollock" jokes. This movie does not do that. Yes, Avram may seem a little like a fish out of water at times...but he is by no means representative of that spiteful moniker mentioned above. And the way that Gene Wilder portrays him is so convincing, especially in his more religious ritualistic moments...it is just stunning. This may sound silly (and I am not Hebrew) but sometimes I nearly CRY at just how beautifully Gene Wilder plays this silly, yet intentive character.

Harrison Ford is very much Han Solo in the old west in this movie...the renegade with a heart of gold. The guy knows comedy.

The final showdown in the movie is great....and Ford's character sends chills up my spine with the intensity that he plays the scene.

I highly recommend The Frisco Kid. You will laugh yourself silly. And I recommend it if you are a fan at all of Gene Wilder, or Harrison Ford...or in my case, both.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old January 23rd, 2005, 07:16 AM   #2
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

"The Frisco Kid" is a great movie.. one of the feel good films with two great actors
Ford is as alway great to watch. but wilder is fantastic and a joy he is in his element.

My fav comady Has to be THE ODD COUPLE. with Jack Lemmon .... Felix Ungar
Walter Matthau .... Oscar Madison ...

Two friends try sharing an apartment, but their ideas of housekeeping and lifestyles are as different as night and day.

hears a quote:
Murray: A suicide telegram? Who sends a suicide telegram?

Oscar Madison: Felix, the nut, that's who! Can you imagine getting a thing like that? She even had to tip the kid a quarter.

Oscar Madison: Murray, lend me twenty dollars or I'll call your wife and tell her you're in Central Park wearing a dress.

classic stuff. I love Neil Simons stuff

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:27 AM   #3
BRG
Warrior

Big Grin Some of BRG's favs.

Here are a few of my favorite comedy films.

Destry Rides Again (1939) A classic old comedy western staring Jimmy Stewart and Marlene Dietrich about a lawman who does not carry a gun. it has the best catfight in cinema history, Una Merkel fighting Dietrich over her husbands trousers! A classic!

Some Like It Hot (1959) Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis, crossdressing, and Marilyn Monroe. BRILLIANT

A Shot In The Dark (1964) Best of the Pink Panther films. All are worth watching, and have hilarious scenes, but this is easily the pick of the bunch.

Young Frankenstein (1974) Just shades Blazing Saddles as my favorite Brooks/Wilder film. Over the top, extremely funny, and beautiful looking. All the cast are brilliant, but Wilder & Feldman are perfect as Frankenstein & Igor! A work of art.

Life Of Brian (1979) Ah! Python at they're best! Biggus Dickus!

The Big Lebowski (1998) The best comedy I've seen in recent years. A bizzar film that all stems from a wrongly pissed on rug! " Dude, they pissed on your rug?"

I could list loads more, but those are the top ones that spring to mind!
BRG
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2005, 11:45 AM   #4
bsg1fan1975
Major

My list of my all time favorites:

Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Blazing Saddles

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2005, 12:47 PM   #5
cranky1c
Warrior

In no particular order:

Animal House

Blues Brothers

Clerks
cranky1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2005, 02:09 PM   #6
gmd3d
Major

The Classics,, the best

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 03:01 PM   #7
julix
Bad Email Address

I love Blazing Sales and Young Frankenstein......I also love all of John Cuzack's 80's comedies like Better off Dead, Sure Thing, there were a couple more the titles escape me.....pretty similar, comming of age movies but i still LMAO. I love any Pink Panther movie but mostly Return of the pink Panther....just Hilarious Such a great comic timing Peter Sellers has! And Kato attacking him at will....too funny....ok i need to go watch my DVD
julix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #8
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Les Visiteurs. Not the poor American remake with the same cast mind you. The original French version, with subtitles...

I believe it is France's most famous Comedy export....a classic......
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:56 PM   #9
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi all!

Great choice Martok!!! I think Gene Wilder is brilliant in everything he films .
I simply could not choose a favorite, but if I did, I think it would be Silverstreak (which I just found on DVD). Everytime he falls off the train, he yells, "Son of a b****!!!", which cracks up my whole family. But it's close tie with Frisco Kid, Stir Crazy (wonderful!!), Young Frankenstein, and /so/ many more!!! I adore it when he teams up wtih Richard Pryor -- together, they're the BOMB.

Bsg and BRG, you're lookin' at a dyed in the wool Python groupie -- my friends (and anyone who's read even a tiny bit of my source code), know I can't resist /anything/ that might be fit for a Python expletive!!! "I fart in your general direction!!!" "So, if she weighs the same... as a duck... she's made of wood... <and therefore...>... a witch!!! Throw 'er into the pond!!!" "No he's NOT the Messiah, he's been a NAUGHTY boy, so PISS OFF!!!" "Oh, have just a /little/ more -- it's only /waffffer/ thin!!!!!!!!!" which are of course quotes from Holy Grail, Life of Brian, and Meaning of Life.

History of the World Part I should be on your list too -- in fact, /anything/ Mel Brooks does...

Geez, there are SO MANY wonderful, wonderful comedies I dearly love, I couldn't possibly list them all!! Caveman with Ringo Starr, Airplane One and Two... great thread!!!!!!!

Oh, btw Ernie, thanks for the heads up on Les Visiteurs! I will definitely have to check that one out!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKS! I DOOOOO have a fav!!!! RAT RACE!!!!!!!!!!! I never laughed so hard in my life!!!! The bit with the heart had me in TEARS!!!

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 06:05 PM   #10
nextceo
Bad Email Address

Office Space
Spies Like Us
Fletch
nextceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 06:05 PM   #11
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffit
Hi all!

Great choice Martok!!! I think Gene Wilder is brilliant in everything he films .
I simply could not choose a favorite, but if I did, I think it would be Silverstreak (which I just found on DVD). Everytime he falls off the train, he yells, "Son of a b****!!!", which cracks up my whole family. But it's close tie with Frisco Kid, Stir Crazy (wonderful!!), Young Frankenstein, and /so/ many more!!! I adore it when he teams up wtih Richard Pryor -- together, they're the BOMB.

Bsg and BRG, you're lookin' at a dyed in the wool Python groupie -- my friends (and anyone who's read even a tiny bit of my source code), know I can't resist /anything/ that might be fit for a Python expletive!!! "I fart in your general direction!!!" "So, if she weighs the same... as a duck... she's made of wood... <and therefore...>... a witch!!! Throw 'er into the pond!!!" "No he's NOT the Messiah, he's been a NAUGHTY boy, so PISS OFF!!!" "Oh, have just a /little/ more -- it's only /waffffer/ thin!!!!!!!!!" which are of course quotes from Holy Grail, Life of Brian, and Meaning of Life.

History of the World Part I should be on your list too -- in fact, /anything/ Mel Brooks does...

Geez, there are SO MANY wonderful, wonderful comedies I dearly love, I couldn't possibly list them all!! Caveman with Ringo Starr, Airplane One and Two... great thread!!!!!!!

Oh, btw Ernie, thanks for the heads up on Les Visiteurs! I will definitely have to check that one out!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKS! I DOOOOO have a fav!!!! RAT RACE!!!!!!!!!!! I never laughed so hard in my life!!!! The bit with the heart had me in TEARS!!!

Rat Race was a very funny movie...with a great cast. Rowan Atkinson is such a great character comedian.

"Oh, do not fear my friend, for I have lost my heart many times. Heh heh....I make joke....to make you forget how screwed you truly are."

Great line!

Irreverently,
Martok2112
Old January 25th, 2005, 06:10 PM   #12
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextceo
Office Space
Spies Like Us
Fletch

"I dink you have m--my pencil."
Old January 25th, 2005, 06:11 PM   #13
nextceo
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112
"I dink you have m--my pencil."

BWAHAHAHA!!!
nextceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 01:57 AM   #14
tracyb144

"Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" and ANYTHING Monty Python
Old January 26th, 2005, 02:38 AM   #15
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

LOL

Too many to fully list, but here are a few:

The Ma and Pa Kettle movies, any of the Crosby/Hope "Road" movies, Cary Grant movies, Animal House, Airplane, American Graffitti, The Blues Brothers, Abbott And Costello, The Beach movies (Avalon and Annette), Naked Gun movies, Charlie Chan movies, esp when his son and family are along, MASH, Dr. Strangelove, most of the Mel Brooks movies, Undercover Brother, MIB, Cheech and Chong, The Bowery Boys (the East Side Kids), Midnight Run, I'm Gonna Git You Sucka, Francis the Talking Mule, Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin movies, How to Marry a Millionaire (actually most of the Monroe movies), The Longest Yard, Back to the Future, Weird Science, etc etc etc...lol

Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 06:57 AM   #16
Archangel
Bad Email Address

Anything Abbot and Costello
Spaceballs "Why didn't anyone tell me my ass is so big??"
Anything by Monty Python
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote