Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old November 21st, 2004, 08:54 AM   #121
repcisg
Bad Email Address

In terms of conical, unless Glen touches this it cannot be counted as conical out side of our group. But, that said, I think if we keep things as close to the series as possible most people will accept it s such.

Doing something near to the Hand of God would make it much easier to keep close to conical. Glen and Tom Desanto, if either of them chooses to do a new movie will most likely place it 20 to 30 years out, or perhaps even farther out. This would make any fan effort, placed near the end of the series pretty safe, especially if we do not make any serious changes to the characters or their relationships.

Richard has gotten him self in trouble with the fans by not adhering to the original story as closely as he should. We should avoid that mistake.

As I recall the Hand of God ended with the fleet passing through a region of dark matter to emerge into a new star system. From what I saw of it, it most closely resembled a different arm of our galaxy. What they find there could be a good starting point for some short stories. The fleet itself could provide some raw material.

At any rate we are moving forward.

A bible is a must have, a collection of story ideas another must have, I will look into some sort of formal company structure, to protect all and if by some miracle Universal comes knocking we will look like we have our act together.

Keep it coming guys!
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2004, 09:26 AM   #122
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Onward and Upward.....To Infinity and........ooops

Well said, Rep.

Looks like we've got several people on board...at least from the writing, and some artistic standpoints.

Let's seize Galactica, folks! Let's try and give the fans a taste of what they've been waiting for....or at least, new hope!

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old November 21st, 2004, 02:53 PM   #123
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

It would be great to develop a Adventure from start to finished in the Galactica Universe that I enjoy and that fan's who have been waiting for years would enjoy, comment on and discuss in this very forum.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2004, 03:21 PM   #124
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

IMHO the only way an animated series could work is if it is done like David Kerin's Sentinals. If it is going to be on the order of the Clone Wars animated series then it will stink.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2004, 03:22 PM   #125
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

As I recall the Hand of God ended with the fleet passing through a region of dark matter to emerge into a new star system. From what I saw of it, it most closely resembled a different arm of our galaxy. What they find there could be a good starting point for some short stories. The fleet itself could provide some raw material.

I can remember of hand how it ended but i think the last scene was with Apollo and Starbuck, Cassie and Sheba in the Glass tower over the engines reciving
the transmition from the moon landing? I will watch it tomorrow to get the ending.

Old November 21st, 2004, 03:27 PM   #126
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

Quote:
IMHO the only way an animated series could work is if it is done like David Kerin's Sentinals. If it is going to be on the order of the Clone Wars animated series then it will stink.
I have not seen the *Sentinals or the Clone wars.
* I will try and download the Sentinals do you have a link kingfish.

Old November 21st, 2004, 03:30 PM   #127
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Regarding the "time-frame", why not start soon after HOG? Not the next day but, a short time into the future say, 6 months to a year. If I read this correctly, since the voice-overs would come from within the fanbase, would it really matter to the animated effort whether or not Greene, Colicos, Bridges, and Harris have passed on. (A similar parallel would be if their roles were re-cast in a Continuation movie.)

The beauty of animation is that the characters could go through an aging process, from 1978 through present day so, it really wouldn't matter where we started. If there was ever to be a tie-in to the Continuation movie, the animation could adapt. The sooner the time-frame, after HOG, the greater the variety of storylines. I like the idea of using Dark Exodus as the "midway point". (Aren't they going to return to kick some Cylon tail and re-take the Colonies some day?)

Ok, so I'm a romantic at heart.

Well, that's my contribution of dis-jointed thoughts, for now.

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2004, 03:54 PM   #128
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

As much as I liked Clone Wars, I am inclined to agree with Kingfish, that it would perhaps NOT be a good style for it.

BST, thanks for the kind words on DE perhaps being a good middlestory. (Nice to know that it's still loved.)

Repcisg and I are gonna get initial ideas together, and will want other writers to chime in as well. Sounds like we have a few good ones on board.

I am fired up!

Martok2112
Old November 21st, 2004, 08:10 PM   #129
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

My answer to the initial question of this thread is an emphatic no. The reasons why have everything to do with the environment that presently exists with the Moore series, because at this point seeing the original continued only in a format that for me personally is only one step removed from a comic book, is something that falls under the "Been there, done that" category with two comics series already done in the past. I know that for others, animation and comic books are entirely different genres, but they essentially the same for me, and would have all the palatability of a leftover crumb after the main course of live action has been done for another concept (Moore) with the name.

At this point, live action, be it in big screen or by a greater miracle on TV, is all that would satisfy me. Any other medium is just a variation on an existing theme of fanfic, novels and comic books and is not my idea of a proper be-all, end-all solution to what is needed for the original series fanbase.
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2004, 08:26 PM   #130
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
My answer to the initial question of this thread is an emphatic no. The reasons why have everything to do with the environment that presently exists with the Moore series, because at this point seeing the original continued only in a format that for me personally is only one step removed from a comic book, is something that falls under the "Been there, done that" category with two comics series already done in the past. I know that for others, animation and comic books are entirely different genres, but they essentially the same for me, and would have all the palatability of a leftover crumb after the main course of live action has been done for another concept (Moore) with the name.

At this point, live action, be it in big screen or by a greater miracle on TV, is all that would satisfy me. Any other medium is just a variation on an existing theme of fanfic, novels and comic books and is not my idea of a proper be-all, end-all solution to what is needed for the original series fanbase.

Looking at this from a different angle, wouldn't it be a good way to bring attention to what we desire?
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2004, 08:31 PM   #131
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST
Looking at this from a different angle, wouldn't it be a good way to bring attention to what we desire?
Pete -

I think it would be interesting to give it a go... Sure, some of the original actors might be dissappointed in playing voice over roles, versus playing live action parts. I would like to see what they could do with a mature, serious storyline - if they went a Saturday-morning route, it would be a major disappointment.

I think that there's a lot of potential here and it would be a lower-cost option than a live series to prove the viability for a TOS-based continuation story. (Of course, that would depend on the "genius" talent running the studios today...)

It wouldn't have the same impact as a major motion picture, but I would still like to see it!

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2004, 08:39 PM   #132
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I think I don't see at this point how an animated series could serve the role of launching pad to a live action revival. The Star Trek precedent I think is a bit flawed because the animated series' role in leading to the movie franchise really didn't amount to much ultimately. And Galactica is a franchise with a specific storyline and unlike Trek with its self-contained story universe, we'd be opening up too many questions of whether live action following animated would have to acknowledge plot developments etc. of the animated and so on, and then there'd be the matter of financiers throwing up their hands and saying, "What more do you want?!"

If an animated series were done, it would just be dressed-up fanfic for me in the same way that I regard Hatch's novels, as well as the previous comic book series. The only novelty would be hearing a few cast members voices added to what's been done before, and that really isn't all that meaningful to me when the voices are not attached to a flesh and blood performance on the screen.
Old November 21st, 2004, 09:06 PM   #133
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

A perfectly valid wiewpoint, Eric.

But to continue the discussion for the rest of us, what would other people WANT to see in an animated version?

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 01:12 AM   #134
gmd3d
Major

ok I am serious about attemting this Amimation fanfic for the BSG but the thing is, the gap between what I do know and what I need to know if you get me.
I have been thinking hard about it and was wondering who of us have the ability.
I was when younger very good at drawing etc, and have started working on CGI stuff for my own intrest and fun.

Thomas
I was reading a thread about appleseed animation which you posted some time back and one post stuck out in my mind.

Quote:
Well... right now we have a few major stumbling blocks. Basically everyone knows how to make ships. I'm the only one who can draw these. And no one has character animating skill outside of some poser level stuff.
that right we have no time scale on this and it take's a long time to develop the skills needed for this.Thomas can you suggest a good place for us to start

Animation is something I want too learn about anyway and I want to learn how to do it and where I should start

my first question for us.. too start this Animation is for those that know about it is:

1: how long does it take to do a full 3D story compaired to >
2: how long would it take to do 2D and 3D mix (would it be quicker and easy)>
3: how long will the story be :20 min long /30 min long or longer?

I don't know if this make sence

Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:09 AM   #135
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan ForceFounder/President
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
I think I don't see at this point how an animated series could serve the role of launching pad to a live action revival. The Star Trek precedent I think is a bit flawed because the animated series' role in leading to the movie franchise really didn't amount to much ultimately. And Galactica is a franchise with a specific storyline and unlike Trek with its self-contained story universe, we'd be opening up too many questions of whether live action following animated would have to acknowledge plot developments etc. of the animated and so on, and then there'd be the matter of financiers throwing up their hands and saying, "What more do you want?!"

If an animated series were done, it would just be dressed-up fanfic for me in the same way that I regard Hatch's novels, as well as the previous comic book series. The only novelty would be hearing a few cast members voices added to what's been done before, and that really isn't all that meaningful to me when the voices are not attached to a flesh and blood performance on the screen.
I hear you, Eric, and so much of me feels the same way. However, thanks to the Hammer, RDM, and Eick, this fanbase can no longer afford that kind of steadfast attitude if we ever have any hope of reviving Battlestar Galactica. We've been beaten and battered by the clone wars, we' ve lost passionate advocates, and we've been fractured by The Abomination.

If this were just anybody trying to put forth an animated series, I'd be recoiling in fear... but it's Tom DeSanto... and I don't think that can be ignored. If you read Sandy's thread at CA, you know that NBC-Universal already believes that all existing TOS fans have been accounted for in the TNS viewing numbers. We know this is not the case, but... as always... the suits are braindead.

All available avenues for expressing to NBC-Universal that we want Battlestar Galactica revived have been exhausted. We've made our point until we're red in the face.

What Tom is offering with an animated series is low-risk (investment wise) opportunity to get a Battlestar Galactica product before the public... one which each and every one of us can support, both by watching the broadcasts and purchasing the DVD's (and any other merchandise that might result). In this way, we can demonstrate the size of the TOS fanbase, which has the potential to eclipse the TNS fanbase. If NBC-Universal sees a big enough return, the argument for a live-action motion picture is a lot easier to make.

I actually think this fanbase's willingness to support an animated series is going to be quite important in the not-too-distant future.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:52 AM   #136
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderTaggart
I hear you, Eric, and so much of me feels the same way. However, thanks to the Hammer, RDM, and Eick, this fanbase can no longer afford that kind of steadfast attitude if we ever have any hope of reviving Battlestar Galactica. We've been beaten and battered by the clone wars, we' ve lost passionate advocates, and we've been fractured by The Abomination.
And to me, this is precisely why I'm not going to count myself among those who will be pushing for this because after all we've been subjected to, the last thing I will settle for is a limp consolation prize that is ultimately a retread of something that's been done before in the last decade. Would I ignore it if it came to pass? No, but I certainly wouldn't regard it as a project more worthy than what fanfic authors and comic book artists have done already, and frankly I would really be distressed if such an animated series were suddenly elevated to the level of "official canon" to the majority of TOS fanbase because from my standpoint, only something done in the live action milleu has the right to make any potential claim to that.

For me, the best way to impress the powers that be about what needs to be done only requires (1) the failure of the Abomination by not watching it and (2) continued good sales of the DVD sets. Those make the case a lot more simply and effectively IMO than something that for me would just be another painful reminder of what we still don't have and how TOS have had to settle for second-class treatment for too long.

I think a new poll question of "Do you own the DVD set?" would be in order, because I sometimes get the feeling that not as many of those we call part of TOS fanbase has bothered to get one, and if we encouraged everyone who is a fan to just buy it, especially now that the price is much lower than it was a year ago (just $63 at Amazon), a lot more long-term good could be done IMO.

As for any animated effort, I will just take the position of not standing in the way of one or dissing the intentions behind one, but at the same time not putting myself in the ranks of those who will be that enthused by one.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 11:24 AM   #137
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

For me, the Animation project could fill in the gap over the last 25 years up to the point movies are made and if it become's cannon does not matter. for me if we do it right and stay faithful to the show. (as I am sure we would if not we would have to dig a very deep hole somewhere and put the dirt in after us)

I am also looking at things like this, If the Animation series if taken on by the power that be could give the fans of BSG (like me) the stories that can never be told.

The most common worry that we all see here is "I hope it won't become a kiddy show". Me too, I would hate it to go that way, and some of the stories I would like to see "as Adama cannot be alive when the movies are made I would like to know at some point what happend to him, now when the film is made and finished they will have to say what happened, how it happend, did he die of extream old age, did the people in the lightship take him and give him a place among them??

and other things, and we could do this in a animation version

CommanderTaggart wrote:
Quote:
What Tom is offering with an animated series is low-risk (investment wise) opportunity to get a Battlestar Galactica product before the public... one which each and every one of us can support, both by watching the broadcasts and purchasing the DVD's (and any other merchandise that might result). In this way, we can demonstrate the size of the TOS fanbase, which has the potential to eclipse the TNS fanbase. If NBC-Universal sees a big enough return, the argument for a live-action motion picture is a lot easier to make.

I actually think this fanbase's willingness to support an animated series is going to be quite important in the not-too-distant future.
That's it from my point of view

and I also think that if the powers that be don't take a quality production made for fans by the fans serious god help us and for future productions of any show.

my hope is that once we , all of us have finished it, and we can all.. say "that is a great product very entertaining and as a TOS BSG fan its a great tribute to the Real show , I will be happy to have played a part no matter how big or small the part is. and I hope you all will too becouse if not, what the point??

I want something I can be proud of too

Old November 22nd, 2004, 11:24 AM   #138
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Hi all,

Sorry for not being around much recently, I am 're-imagining' the home network, server and going broadband tomorrow !!!

I would like to offer my support and assistance to an effort for fans to make a Continuation of some sort.

Whilst I would perfer a live action movie, in the absence of that happening/ in the meantime I would love to encourage an animation endevour. And anything is better than nothing !!!

I have been saying how much I would like to see fans making our own Continutaion, in several other threads. Many have the ability in CGI, and a number of people have made 2 minute trailers. Add those together in a unified effort and we could make something really special !

I would like to offer my services as a multimedia designer to help if I can. I make menus like you see on DVDs, although primarily I work on CD-Rom. I realise this may not be of immediate use, so I will offer to help out in any other way as well...

Long Live the Original BSG !!!!!!!!!!!!!
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 12:48 PM   #139
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

If one is waiting for NBC/Universal to give the fans what they want well don't hold your breath because we aren't getting it. IMHO when Larson says it is over, we are finished.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 02:49 PM   #140
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Give me something that looks similar to the Athena on the Fleets home page. Give me the voices of the surviving cast with exciting stories for adults picking up right after Hand of God. Yeah, I’ll watch. I would hope for a ratings/critical success then maybe the bean counters at the studio will see a Film as viable.
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 02:59 PM   #141
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

and a great PLOT LINE too ......yep I'd watch
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 03:02 PM   #142
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Well guys, looks like we got our work cut out for us

Martok2112
Old November 22nd, 2004, 03:11 PM   #143
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by potemkin

that right we have no time scale on this and it take's a long time to develop the skills needed for this.Thomas can you suggest a good place for us to start

Animation is something I want too learn about anyway and I want to learn how to do it and where I should start

my first question for us.. too start this Animation is for those that know about it is:

1: how long does it take to do a full 3D story compaired to >
2: how long would it take to do 2D and 3D mix (would it be quicker and easy)>
3: how long will the story be :20 min long /30 min long or longer?

I don't know if this make sence
Best thing is to just start on making good pictures, and then making those move a little.

Direct 2D is out. I'm the only one here who knows how to do this. But there are plugins that allow computer 3d models to look "animated". That is how the new Appleseed movie does it.

As for time...1 minute is a loooong time in CGI.

Its like I was mentioning to some other ambitioius friends, you have to start off small, or the first step will be too large of an obstacle to pass.

Old November 22nd, 2004, 03:15 PM   #144
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas7g
Best thing is to just start on making good pictures, and then making those move a little.

Direct 2D is out. I'm the only one here who knows how to do this. But there are plugins that allow computer 3d models to look "animated". That is how the new Appleseed movie does it.

As for time...1 minute is a loooong time in CGI.

Its like I was mentioning to some other ambitioius friends, you have to start off small, or the first step will be too large of an obstacle to pass.
And here it is I thought you knew everything
Old November 22nd, 2004, 03:16 PM   #145
gmd3d
Major

Big Grin

Quote:
Well guys, looks like we got our work cut out for us

Martok2112
ohh yes but what a challenge I am still game to give it the best shot I can give.

He who dares ..wins ( or gets to dig he own grave )

Old November 22nd, 2004, 03:22 PM   #146
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by potemkin
ohh yes but what a challenge I am still game to give it the best shot I can give.

He who dares ..wins ( or gets to dig he own grave )
Go for it Potemkin!
Old November 22nd, 2004, 04:02 PM   #147
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Several thoughts that might or might not appeal :

If this were made, and Universal decided to put it out as bonus on a DVD, but wouldn't pay us anything - would we (both the fanbase and contributors) accept ?

Why not ask Tom DeSanto what his Animation storyline is, and ask to make him a concept trailer ? Prove DeSanto and the fanbase are united...

Why not, as a sign of democracy, come up with several ideas, and have a poll to allow members to decide the storyline and direction etc ?

Not wanting to cuase disputes - only intended as discussion points.....

Ernie90125
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 06:41 PM   #148
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Default a few images from other threads

http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ead.php?t=4564

http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ead.php?t=8267

http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ad.php?&t=6672

Old November 22nd, 2004, 06:43 PM   #149
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

ALL the above is computer generated. Even the one that looks like traditional animation.

and btw if you haven't seen this yet, you really MUST
http://www.apple.co.jp/quicktime/tra...eed_large.html (18MB)

(again from this thread:
http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ad.php?&t=6672 )

Old November 22nd, 2004, 07:00 PM   #150
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125
Several thoughts that might or might not appeal :

If this were made, and Universal decided to put it out as bonus on a DVD, but wouldn't pay us anything - would we (both the fanbase and contributors) accept ?

Why not ask Tom DeSanto what his Animation storyline is, and ask to make him a concept trailer ? Prove DeSanto and the fanbase are united...

Why not, as a sign of democracy, come up with several ideas, and have a poll to allow members to decide the storyline and direction etc ?

Not wanting to cuase disputes - only intended as discussion points.....

Ernie90125
excellent points Ernie