Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REEL-WORLD CONNECTION > Conventions
Notices
Conventions Non BG Conventions included too!

Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:10 AM   #31
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Ooops, my notes were about Chicago, not Galacticon.

I thought Galacticon was wonderful as a fan, but I had even more fun at Chicago (if that's possible!) got to play with Sarah's baby, heard some of Jack's stories & his wife is really nice as is Laurette's sis. And my daughter had a great time with Dean's daughter.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:17 AM   #32
saintg
Shuttle Pilot

Cool

Look I am not going to go into a debate about my thoughts on the Con. It is my opinion, just as everyone has one. I do feel that the Con it self was poorly promoted as most of the people I talk to never even heard of it. Also, as for the vendors it was the same crowd that usually attends the local flee markets. It would have been nice if one or two of the booths would have been someone representing one of the many fan clubs. That would have been greatly welcomed. Also I will state again that the Actors were fantastic and to talk to them was a great pleasure. If you wish to direct an insult at me please message me. This is not the place to conduct such behavior!
saintg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:34 AM   #33
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Obviously, saintg, you and Lady Immortal have differring impressions from the Chicago con. If this was your first con, though, I understand your apprehensions.

I went to my first con years ago. It was a Creations Star Trek con; they put on fan conventions around the country, and are a pretty big outfit. My first con left me with similar feelings as yours, actually; I wasn't at all sure I wanted to go to another one. But, I did, and I came to realize what an undertaking it is, organizing the vendors, the guest appearances, just the logistics of such a thing would be a nightmare.

I've been to many cons since, and already have reservations for the next local con in November, because I've found that even if things go wrong, if the vendors seem a little out of place for the subject of the con, it's still a blast interacting with the celebrities, vendors and particularly the other attendees.

Go to a few more cons, saintg, before you judge this one, a first-ever attempt by the organizers, and you'll see what I mean.

BTW, welcome to the Fleets. We've got a bunch of great people here. Have fun!

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:55 AM   #34
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Oh yeah... I meant to ask in my above post... Did anyone who meant, see any of the special trading cards they were meant to be printing up for the Con ? If so, what were they and where might we be able to see pictures (I collect unusual BG cards, so I am very interested !!!!!)

thanks,

Ernie90125
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:39 AM   #35
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

Just remember, the man who put on the show is a member here, in fact, this is the thread he started. Try ro imagine working so hard to put on a show, and tuning in for reedback, and the very first thread you see on the subject says loud and clear, "it sucked!" How would you feel?

(Your second post was actually well worded, and could have stood on it's own.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintg
Look I am not going to go into a debate about my thoughts on the Con. It is my opinion, just as everyone has one. I do feel that the Con it self was poorly promoted as most of the people I talk to never even heard of it. Also, as for the vendors it was the same crowd that usually attends the local flee markets. It would have been nice if one or two of the booths would have been someone representing one of the many fan clubs. That would have been greatly welcomed. Also I will state again that the Actors were fantastic and to talk to them was a great pleasure. If you wish to direct an insult at me please message me. This is not the place to conduct such behavior!
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:21 AM   #36
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

OK, gang:

I misunderstood which convention saintg was talking about - I saw 'Galactica convention' and my brain interpreted it as 'Galacticon' instead of the Chicago convention.

And, I still stick up for what I said. Things will only get better from here - and I adored the vendors (some of them were very nice).

I admit, I left about 4:30-ish - I was totally wiped out...

Sorry you had a bad experience, saintg but, as I said, things can only get better from here (and that dvd/projector at this was much better than some other's I've had to use. Oh - and the sound - DG didn't have control over that - it was all the frickin' hotel gave us, the bums! I hope that Dean is getting some kind of percentage off for that!)

As for the technical difficulties - nobody coulda planned on the dvd getting broken =(.

--Rhonda
LadyImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 01:09 PM   #37
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125
Oh yeah... I meant to ask in my above post... Did anyone who meant, see any of the special trading cards they were meant to be printing up for the Con ? If so, what were they and where might we be able to see pictures (I collect unusual BG cards, so I am very interested !!!!!)

thanks,

Ernie90125
the cards were from The Second Coming Trailer. Mine are not for sale. One was the blasters drawn warrior cast pic from Richard, one was a cylon and a raider and one was from the destruction of the colony. The latter 2 were provided by Mike McAdams. (thank you Mike & Richard, complete treat!) The other card was the Starbuck/Adama/Apollo card that Rittenhouse shows on their site.

You might PM Dean (guy that started the thread). He may be able to sell the extra sets to offset his expenses.

there were also Trek and Andromeda, Smallville, Charmed, a Buffy, I'll have to look again. I am interested in finding good homes for the Smallville, Charmed and Buffy cards. PM me if anyone wants any of them.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 01:39 PM   #38
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

Hi, Giggles, glad to see you made it back home in one piece!!!! =) (told ya, lol!)

--Rhonda
Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:12 PM   #39
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Micheleh ..........I think you are doing a fabulous job.

I hope you know how much we ALL appreciate you.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:13 PM   #40
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
I thought there were a good number of vendors, variety of stuff, but I wasn't even shopping.

I hope the turn-out was better today.

The speaker system wasn't up to the sound quality of the dvd trailers (it didn't have enough base depth so the base distorted) but the newest Magellan trailer rocked. The storyline was much clearer. The second coming trailer is such a bittersweet thing--I think the video for both looked better than at Galacticon (the projector was a bit brighter. I wish I could have gone to the play Richard and Laurette did, but my little one would not have sat through it & frankly, she'd wiped me out by mid afternoon.

(((((((((JEWELS))))))))))))

I'm sorry you couldn't go to the play RH and LS did but I'm glad you made it
to the convention! I hope you had a blast
Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:15 PM   #41
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljav
the questioni have is , being this is the first time im going to a Galtica show.. and a bit excited, do you recomend one day or both.. I might bring a friend.. seriouly doubt the wife would be interested so I need to decied what i want to do.. give me some ideas ... By you command
Welcome to the fleets Aljav I hope you had a great time at the convention.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:01 PM   #42
saintg
Shuttle Pilot

Default cards

Quote:

thanks,

Ernie90125
Hi Ernie90125, you are welcome to my set of cards for free. I opened them but they are still in mint condition. PM me with your address. I'm not a card collector, they are nice but I have no use for them. I collect bigger items, movie props.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 04:18 AM   #43
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Saintg,

>[Hi Ernie90125, you are welcome to my set of cards for free. I opened them but >they are still in mint condition. PM me with your address.

I had to e-mail you, as when I tried to PM you, I got this message :

>saintg has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to >receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

Thank you for your kindness....

Daniel Earnshaw
Ernie90125
Old March 23rd, 2004, 05:30 AM   #44
DG Promotions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyImmortal
OK, gang:

And, I still stick up for what I said. Things will only get better from here - and I adored the vendors (some of them were very nice).

I admit, I left about 4:30-ish - I was totally wiped out...

Sorry you had a bad experience, saintg but, as I said, things can only get better from here (and that dvd/projector at this was much better than some other's I've had to use. Oh - and the sound - DG didn't have control over that - it was all the frickin' hotel gave us, the bums! I hope that Dean is getting some kind of percentage off for that!)

As for the technical difficulties - nobody coulda planned on the dvd getting broken =(.

--Rhonda
Thanks,

Most of the people understood (we got a replacement DVD late Saturday) we had tech's (from the DVD rental Company) that did not show up and a ton of problems with the Hotel (sound system being one of them) most of witch could have been avoided if they had delivered what was in our contract I got to spend my whole day on Saturday trying to fix things that should not have needed it at least everything ran on schedule on Sunday. I hope that one day saintg gets to see what its like from the side most people never see. My Attorney and I will also have to be dealing with grief from this for another couple months trying to be compensated and to make sure it never happens again.

DG Promotions

Last edited by DG Promotions; March 23rd, 2004 at 08:54 AM..
Old March 23rd, 2004, 06:34 AM   #45
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

Sorry to hear about what happened, Dean, that doesn't sound like a very good time at all!

And it sucks even more to not have people deliver what was contractually promised to you. Now, the big question -- did Richard ever cheer up Saturday? =)

--Rhonda
Old March 23rd, 2004, 08:15 AM   #46
saintg
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Saintg,

>[Hi Ernie90125, you are welcome to my set of cards for free. I opened them but >they are still in mint condition. PM me with your address.

I had to e-mail you, as when I tried to PM you, I got this message :

>saintg has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to >receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

Thank you for your kindness....

Daniel Earnshaw
Ernie90125
Hi Daniel just recieved your email. Sorry about the PM just fixed it.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 12:12 PM   #47
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintg
Hi Daniel just recieved your email. Sorry about the PM just fixed it.
Welcome to the fleet Saintg.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 03:12 PM   #48
DG Promotions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyImmortal
Sorry to hear about what happened, Dean, that doesn't sound like a very good time at all!

And it sucks even more to not have people deliver what was contractually promised to you. Now, the big question -- did Richard ever cheer up Saturday? =)

--Rhonda
Richard was better as the day progressed and Love Letters was VERY well done and enjoyed by everyone I think the attendance had him down somewhat because he knew how much press we had in fact Richard, Laurette and Sarah did an hour Radio interview on Friday Morning and we all expected more but what can you do.

Dean
DG Promotions
Old March 23rd, 2004, 03:53 PM   #49
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG Promotions
Richard was better as the day progressed and Love Letters was VERY well done and enjoyed by everyone I think the attendance had him down somewhat because he knew how much press we had in fact Richard, Laurette and Sarah did an hour Radio interview on Friday Morning and we all expected more but what can you do.

Dean
DG Promotions
That's wonderful DG Promotions. I wish I could have gone. I wish I could
GO to the conventions. However I support him in spirit anyway.
Old March 24th, 2004, 01:37 AM   #50
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I only live 30 miles from the Convention site but committments to another event on Saturday as well as the general expenses of ticket, gas, meals etc. ultimately made me decide to pass, even though it would have been nice to see the cast in person for the first time.

I didn't catch the other posts at first that said the intended "Mystery Guest" was Rick Springfield. Sorry to hear that didn't pan out, but as was mentioned, it would probably have been a bigger disappointment for those who went if it had been planned to be Maren Jensen and she was the one who didn't show up.
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 09:35 AM   #51
plutonium1

I was a bit apprehensive to go at first since I am really not all that into cons etc. I have been to one other(star trek as a 13 yr old). But as a passionate Galactica fan who lives in the Chicago suburbs I felt this may be my only opportunity to see the trailer ever - so I coughed up the $20 bucks and drove on over Saturday morning.

Upon arrival, I located the grand ballroom and wandered over, signed in, and paid my admission. I was given a program, some collector cards, and a parking discount stub.

I was directed to another room where the trailer was going to be shown at noon. I entered the room at about 11:45 am to discover a large room with 150 standard, stackable, hotel chairs all lined up facing the stage/screen. At the moment there were about 15 of us there and it was dead-quite. During this, I noticed they were having some problems with the dvd player and accompanied projector. Something about looking for the technician who took off on them etc. A few minutes later an older couple came in and sat in front of me to my right and turned to ask, "Is this were Richard Hatch will be?" To which I replied, "yes, but that they are having technical difficulties. Funny thing, while I was sitting there I couldn't help but wonder if old Languatron was sitting amongst us?

Fortunately for us all, a guy sitting on the left side of the room seemed to have a grasp on how this player was connected to the projector and helped them fix it. Once they had an image - they still had no sound - guy on the left to the rescue again. So CHEERS to the guy with the dark hair on the left side of the room - THANKS!

Once the player was playing, they went to fetch Richard. Richard came in the room casually from the back and greeted us all with a, "hello". At this point we are about 25-30 people deep which grew only slightly. Needless to say, we all had great seats - Richard even joked that we were sitting too far and to move closer - one guy(who had on a BSG jacket) and his family moved forward.

Richard declined the microphone as we were not a huge group and we could all hear him fine without it. He began his speech by talking about acting and his age. At this point about half the people in the room started taking pictures of him on their digital cameras at point blank range. Flash-flash-flash...

"I don't feel old..." -Richard

The first thing I noticed about him, is how he really did look well for his age. In fact, I think he looks better in person than on film. At any rate, he discussed how he had financed the trailers on his credit card, and about his public speaking and how people don't realize their dreams because they don't want to risk being rejected etc. And how people never follow through etc. He talked about acting and being rejected and how being an artist is a risk but that those risks have the biggest payoffs etc. At this point he decided to show the trailer after a brief intro. We could see he was visibly disturbed as the sound situation was BAD and the technical problems persisted at which point Richard asked, "do we have any techy people here?" Again, guy on the left side of the room to the rescue... What I noticed here is that Richard was truly irritated that what he has worked so hard on was compromised not by his work, but the equipment available at the hotel. And he explained that to us and apologized - a couple times. The small group of people there probably wasn't very uplifting either.

"The layering of the sound... The color saturations... look far better..." - Richard

So we started to partially see the trailer start 2 or 3 times before it finally started.

"All we needed was 2 speakers..." -a slightly agitated Richard

The sound was terrible people! There was literally feedback coming through the crummy hotel overhead speakers. Dialogue was barely audible - especially with sound being layered behind it - music, fx etc. The picture was actually ok - but the sound was really killing to for me.

TRAILER REVIEW
I really did like the trailer a lot. It was exciting to see the vipers, raiders, and even a ship from the fleet totally explode. It was lot more angry and dark than I thought it would be - Apollo yells a lot in the trailer. We got to see Baltar, Dr Wilker, Col Tigh - all very cool. I also loved the hologram scene with Adama - nice touch. Richard is really a passionate person and it is evident in his work, speech and general demeanor. I didn't much like the effect of the live action with computer generated backgrounds - but even today a few years later technology has made leaps in that area. Overall, I liked the trailer and am saddened by the lack of people to pick up the torch in the right way. I also didn't much see the point of showing the ship of lights as that is a separate issue and part of a story arch. After the credits rolled, we all gave Richard a round of well deserved applause for which he thanked us.

After that he quickly moved on the Great War of Magellan trailer which was 17 minutes long. He stated that there was a 2 minute, 13 minute, 17 minute version etc.

TRAILER REVIEW
Obviously, with his passion for Galactica and self-admitted love of sci-fi that the sparks of ideas made their way into this trailer - as did some identical BSG:Second Coming basestar footage. The primary ships have a "raider-feel" to them with the cockpit cover of a viper. Basically, it starts from a writer's perspective who will retell the story of the Great War etc. Apparently, NASA sends its 1st mars mission manned to discover a resident who came from somewhere else - The megelanic cloud. This guy then tells the story about how there was this race of people that basically destroyed itself through war, apathy and technology and by his telling of this story - will spare humanity the pain. Somehow this race ended up advancing and creating nanobots to help themselves only they mutated and end up destroying the race as a whole and created the bad guys. Enter Richard(The man who never dies) who more or less is trying to join this disconjoined group of people and lead them to reclaim their race, respect and freedom - think Krull/Road Warrior - rag tag group of shady characters. Also Richard pointed out how every great republic whether Myan, Roman, Greek, Egyptians all reach a pinnacle point and then end up destroying themselves. Apparently avoiding conflict at this point had become impossible and conflict was forced by geography. I really liked the retro-retelling of this story from the dude on Mars who came from Megallan. I also liked the space battle in which a Magellan ship returns fire by rotating itself on a horizontal axis and then returns forward to keep navigating.

The trailer as a whole is impressive and one can see Richard's evolution as a film maker from the BSG trailer to TGWOM. My only complaint is what a mess the trailer is. It seems that it jumps around an awful lot and confused the crap out of me. I think part of that is that Richard has created an entire universe that has a lot of detail and is difficult to get across in a trailer versus say an entire TV season or book. Also, he was trying to tell the viewer too many things instead of wetting our appetite and leaving us wanting more. There is definitely a lot of meat on this bone. But as with many things - it needs sorting out and editing which he will hopefully get a chance to do. I am almost wondering why he didn't just make an entire film - 17 minutes is a long time - and he packs it in there too. So what's another hour of dialogue with less effects? Easy for me to say... And what is nice is that Richard owns it all and can do as he pleases.

Richard stated that he already has a 3 book deal to help explore this concept - congrats!

After the lights were turned back on - Richard began taking questions. Most were common, regarding Glen Larson stating Richard is too old for a TV series etc. He laughed very loudly at this by the way as he turned to his right from the audience. He says he now understands Glen Larson's anger at him since he too feels betrayed by how Galactica is being treated, or rather mistreated.

If you ever see Richard, he talks a lot and will elaborate quite a bit and admits to having a lot of "hot-air". Also, if you have ever had any experiences with motivational speakers - there is some of that in there as well. A lot of realizing your dreams, and daring to express your ideas kind of thing.

One question which caught my attention came from in front of me from a guy on the right asking, "Why did you choose to use CGI versus models?" To which Richard jumped on this guy, "We didn't." pause... pause again... "We used both... Most people only use CGI, but we used both." The tone of this conversation left me thinking, "huh?!, why so angry guy..." A minute later the guy who asked, and his buddy ducked out of the room and line of fire. Richard continued... A girl a few rows in front of me asked about his writing, to which he talked about some articles he had written and the books etc. Again, this question and answer session wasn't exactly warm, fuzzy and light-hearted - but more defensive. And another question was about the comics and how that just fell apart due to people's lack of follow-through. It was almost like he was in a crummy mood, but trying to be all positive and inspirational. The one positive thing I caught was a gentleman in the very front row thanked Richard for the DVD commentary in the box set he did with Herb and Dirk. He said it was like reliving the best time in their lives and thanked this guy for thanking him.

Continued in next post...
Old March 24th, 2004, 09:36 AM   #52
plutonium1

Default Continued from previous post...

Some highlights...

Richard pointed out that the new production(which he doesn't really like the idea of) has been reaching out to him as of late. He stated he would never do a cameo, but if there is something significant, a role an actor could really get into then he has to say...

"then, lets sit down and talk..." - Richard

He pointed out how other actors are being approached as well. So he isn't completely against partaking in the BSG Ron Moore style - but I am guessing it would have to more or less be an episode with significant lines and significant character perhaps revolving around him since he would be a guest star.

He also stated how even the Singer Desanto team went to the table wanting to bring back Battlestar despite the higher-ups not understanding - and still don't.

After Richard was speaking for a bit, one of the organizer's daughters brought him a note which he read aloud... "wrap it up - xxxx needs traffic in the dealer's room." this was more or less the end of the Q&A with Richard who again didn't seem in the best of moods. I wandered about the dealer's room for a few minutes where one could buy autographs from Herb, Richard, Anne etc. The dealers had various items, but nothing that one couldn't find on EBAY etc. I did overhear one guy talking about how he arrived at 1:30 am last night-obviously from somewhere far. I couldn't help but wonder why the turn-out was so small. This is Chicago after all - a city with 8 million people in the city and suburbs. What gives? I suppose one could blame the promotion or lack thereof. Next time, I would strongly suggest contacting MANCOW at Q101 and see if they can get Richard, Anne, Herb, Jack, Dirk anyone on. Reason being is Mancow has huge ratings and is syndicated. Moreover he is a sci fi geek at heart. He even had William Shatner be his best man at his wedding and talks to Shatner constantly. One morning he had on Jonathan Harris on in the studio laughing about conventions etc. I even heard Herb Jefferson Jr on his show one morning via telephone - so he is open to Galactica.

In conclusion, I can say that my $20.00 was well spent, I saw what I wanted to see and would have never forgiven myself for missing the opportunity to see the trailer - I have been waiting years for it since I don't think Richard has ever brought it to Chicago. My only real complaint was the sound - ack! I did however like the collectors cards they gave us as well, it made me wish there were more. Can he/would he print more cards with some of the highlights of the trailer? Perhaps the hologram scene, or the vipers over the pyramids scene, or the Dr Wilker scene? Love to see them. And someday, hopefully soon, the trailer could be viewed in a more accessible way for all to enjoy. It really is impressive.

Bring back Lucifer!
Old March 24th, 2004, 10:24 AM   #53
Rowan
On Vacation...

plutonium1 what a lot of work you put in to your posts, thank you. So much detail I felt I was there myself, very kind of you to share
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 10:36 AM   #54
DG Promotions

I know the sound was bad and I wish we could have done something about it but when we arranged for the DVD projector and sound system it was in our contract that it was to be a Bose sound system (if you were there you know they did not deliver what we contracted and paid for the tech that was supposed to set everything up never even showed up. We were also supposed to get it Friday so we could test it before the event they ended up Delivering it Saturday Late Morning) Right now we are still fighting with the Hotel and the sub contracting company for the Video I can tell you it WON"T happen again because I will never use the company the Hotel recommends again. That being said there will be cards 4,5 and 6 in the series at the Lansing Michigan Show in November and the Trailers will be shown with a much much better sound system.

Dean
DG Promotions
Old March 24th, 2004, 12:19 PM   #55
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonium1
Some highlights...

Richard pointed out that the new production(which he doesn't really like the idea of) has been reaching out to him as of late. He stated he would never do a cameo, but if there is something significant, a role an actor could really get into then he has to say...

"then, lets sit down and talk..." - Richard

He pointed out how other actors are being approached as well. So he isn't completely against partaking in the BSG Ron Moore style - but I am guessing it would have to more or less be an episode with significant lines and significant character perhaps revolving around him since he would be a guest star.

He also stated how even the Singer Desanto team went to the table wanting to bring back Battlestar despite the higher-ups not understanding - and still don't.

After Richard was speaking for a bit, one of the organizer's daughters brought him a note which he read aloud... "wrap it up - xxxx needs traffic in the dealer's room." this was more or less the end of the Q&A with Richard who again didn't seem in the best of moods. I wandered about the dealer's room for a few minutes where one could buy autographs from Herb, Richard, Anne etc. The dealers had various items, but nothing that one couldn't find on EBAY etc. I did overhear one guy talking about how he arrived at 1:30 am last night-obviously from somewhere far. I couldn't help but wonder why the turn-out was so small. This is Chicago after all - a city with 8 million people in the city and suburbs. What gives? I suppose one could blame the promotion or lack thereof. Next time, I would strongly suggest contacting MANCOW at Q101 and see if they can get Richard, Anne, Herb, Jack, Dirk anyone on. Reason being is Mancow has huge ratings and is syndicated. Moreover he is a sci fi geek at heart. He even had William Shatner be his best man at his wedding and talks to Shatner constantly. One morning he had on Jonathan Harris on in the studio laughing about conventions etc. I even heard Herb Jefferson Jr on his show one morning via telephone - so he is open to Galactica.

In conclusion, I can say that my $20.00 was well spent, I saw what I wanted to see and would have never forgiven myself for missing the opportunity to see the trailer - I have been waiting years for it since I don't think Richard has ever brought it to Chicago. My only real complaint was the sound - ack! I did however like the collectors cards they gave us as well, it made me wish there were more. Can he/would he print more cards with some of the highlights of the trailer? Perhaps the hologram scene, or the vipers over the pyramids scene, or the Dr Wilker scene? Love to see them. And someday, hopefully soon, the trailer could be viewed in a more accessible way for all to enjoy. It really is impressive.

Bring back Lucifer!
Plutonium1 thank you so much for telling us this.

And welcome to the fleets. I'm glad you're here

I think that when Micheleh sees your posts she may well encourage the
powers that be put some of your suggestions and points to the test

Well written! I hope you keep posting
Old March 24th, 2004, 12:34 PM   #56
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG Promotions
I know the sound was bad and I wish we could have done something about it but when we arranged for the DVD projector and sound system it was in our contract that it was to be a Bose sound system (if you were there you know they did not deliver what we contracted and paid for the tech that was supposed to set everything up never even showed up. We were also supposed to get it Friday so we could test it before the event they ended up Delivering it Saturday Late Morning) Right now we are still fighting with the Hotel and the sub contracting company for the Video I can tell you it WON"T happen again because I will never use the company the Hotel recommends again. That being said there will be cards 4,5 and 6 in the series at the Lansing Michigan Show in November and the Trailers will be shown with a much much better sound system.

Dean
DG Promotions
I work for a hotel (a lowly peon) and I've seen similar things happen, and had to scramble to try and fix it. I can imagine how frustrating it must have been. Don't let them get away with it!
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 03:38 PM   #57
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Thanks for this report..... But it sounds like Dean tried his best and put his heart and soul into it....

I welcome Second Coming trading cards 4,5,and6 very much. Although the mix of portrait and landscape design didn't work too well, they could be great promotion for the trailer.....

In fact I have an idea to expand on that..........should I speak to Micheleh about that ????

Ernie90125
Old March 24th, 2004, 03:41 PM   #58
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Thanks for this report..... But it sounds like Dean tried his best and put his heart and soul into it....

I welcome Second Coming trading cards 4,5,and6 very much. Although the mix of portrait and landscape design didn't work too well, they could be great promotion for the trailer.....

In fact I have an idea to expand on that..........should I speak to Micheleh about that ????

Ernie90125
Yes Why not?
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:33 PM   #59
saintg
Shuttle Pilot

Hey Plutonium1, nice to hear from someone else that was at the convention in Chicago. The funny thing is I was the one who asked about the model vs. CGI question. By the way I ducked out because I was late for work. I did not take Mr. Hatch's answer to be an attack or tacktles. The thing is most of his ships in the trailer were CGI and the models that he said he used, I found out via a friend that they were Monogram kits. The reason I asked is that I felt that the ships used in the original series, that were models, gave the show a nice feel to it.
Old March 25th, 2004, 10:08 PM   #60
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

Quote:

Ernie90125
Sure thing. micheleh@gci-net.com
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote