Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 6th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #31
LZaza
Warrior

Default Re: Who were the LORDS OF KOBOL?

Uh huh.

C'mon, KJ. How about throwing out a theory? I know Carl Sagan inspired "Sagan", but who was Sagan in the realm of BSG?

Discussion?
LZaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #32
KJ
Strike Leader

Even a decent theory would be pretty vague cos of how short the existing original series is.

There's not alot to go on.

If Larson and co had dropped some names from Egyptian mythology like; Anubis or Set or gone another route it'll be easier to think up all-new theories. Now, just because Carl Sagan got a nod doesn't necessarily mean like the TV show 'Lost'; noted philosophers, Scienists, Doctors, Astrophysicist and whatnot will all get to be referenced as a Lord Of Kobol in a fictional show unless there's a reason for the nod and clever 'play on word(s)' and wording to reference characters on etc.

Like to give out a theory but i'd have to be real honest and say half the time, there needs to be more than just theories or great ideas before a discussions can take place. A strong foundation is needed for major discussion points like these, and i seriously like the fact that BG myths are bound and based to real life ancient human mythologies/origins etc.

KJ
Old February 22nd, 2010, 04:09 PM   #33
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZaza
C'mon, KJ. How about throwing out a theory? I know Carl Sagan inspired "Sagan", but who was Sagan in the realm of BSG?

Discussion?

Like i said before, i have nothing to go on. But i imagine the writers were trying to make out that Sagan was somebody of special significance or was a legendary Kobollian figure/leader from generation past, hence the name was used in a kind of religious reference i.e. calling him a Lord Of Kobol, 'Sagan Sake's mentioned by starbuck several times throughout the series can almost be seen as saying for 'God's Sake' or 'Christ's Sake' etc!

Sagan = A Lord Of Kobol

Or elder (Elder Statesman) who became one of Kobol's major figures/father's throughout Kobollian history. Just as in many ways people from our ancient history are looked back upon as founding fathers or classic archetypes. Beyond that i'd be stuck to try and guess any further more theories seeing as the show was undeveloped as to what kind of storyarcs might've materialized from the mere name droppings like Sagan or The 9th Lord Of Kobol for example?!

You got any theories of your own to share out here LZaza?

KJ
Old February 22nd, 2010, 04:26 PM   #34
LZaza
Warrior

Well, I briefly mentioned my theory on the previous page where I jumped in. It's the analogies of Sagan's sake/Christ's sake, Lord Sagan/Lord Jesus, Book of the Word/Holy Bible that made me wonder if perhaps Larson was alluding to yet another parallel with Earth history/mythology. What if instead of Sagan being a Lord of Kobol, he was instead some Kobollian messiah?

There's nothing in canon that I'm aware of that contradicts it, and it's yet one more possibility.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:16 PM   #35
WarMachine
Warrior

Default Re: Open a different thread in the "other science fiction" forum in this Forum.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
[B]...But back on topic; what do you think of my hypothesis that the 13th tribe may not have left Kobol with the warm fuzzies regarding the staybehinds, and that they forgott all about that part of their Colonial history when they lost their "memory", probably because the LBs arranged their "forgetting" it?
...Sorry - been through the wringer the last several weeks, just now catching up.

I don't think that the 13th really need much prodding to forget anything - just look at the oldest recorded myths in the world: they're filled with battle after battle, wholesale slaughter of cities and civilizations, world-spanning disasters, etc. -- I think the LBs might have felt the need to intervene just to keep the 13th's descendants alive, let alone remember or teach them anything...

Like Michael York in B5: "...You know, there were once a people in my country called 'Romans'..." - kitsch aside, that's fairly accurate -- just look at Rome after a measly c.100 years of invasions and sackings in the 5th-6th century....
Old February 23rd, 2010, 01:58 PM   #36
LZaza
Warrior

Default Re: Open a different thread in the "other science fiction" forum in this Forum.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
...Sorry - been through the wringer the last several weeks, just now catching up.

I don't think that the 13th really need much prodding to forget anything - just look at the oldest recorded myths in the world: they're filled with battle after battle, wholesale slaughter of cities and civilizations, world-spanning disasters, etc. -- I think the LBs might have felt the need to intervene just to keep the 13th's descendants alive, let alone remember or teach them anything...

Like Michael York in B5: "...You know, there were once a people in my country called 'Romans'..." - kitsch aside, that's fairly accurate -- just look at Rome after a measly c.100 years of invasions and sackings in the 5th-6th century....
Perhaps they didn't need to remember so much as leave recorded history behind as to their origins. Recorded history that needed to be uncovered and then interpreted. Think Sumerians and their Anunnaki. It's a beautiful analogy. Zecharia Sitchin was a little off base. They weren't Anunnaki from Niburu, they were Kobollians.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 04:25 PM   #37
Captain Chirri
Shuttle Pilot

Holy crap! Can you imagine Oscar and Felix on board the Galactica?

Felix would drive everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE completely insane with his need for cleanliness and neatness.

Oscar, of course, would confine his sloppiness to his quarters, lose at Pyramid, grouse about his ex-wife, smoke horrible fumarellos, grouse about Felix, drink grog, and just be himself.

As to who Sagan might have been, I figure that he was the founder of Adama's house (didn't it state something to that effect in the series?)

He might have been one of the Lords to lead the Kobollians away from their doomed planet in search of a new home, and kept them together for however long it took for them to find it.
Captain Chirri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 04:36 PM   #38
LZaza
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chirri View Post
As to who Sagan might have been, I figure that he was the founder of Adama's house (didn't it state something to that effect in the series?)
No, there was never any link with Adama and Sagan in the series. I have seen lots of fans, however, link them that way.

I have to admit that I tend to think of Adama as more of a warrior and less of a bureautician, probably because of the obvious negative affiliation with the Council of Twelve. He seemed to have an innate common sense that wasn't prevalent in the aristocratic ilk that was depicted in BSG that perhaps came from his military background. Obviously, he became President as the only remaining member of the Quorum of Twelve, but I wonder if after watching his frustrations with Council over the course of the series if he would have chosen that path were it actually up to him.
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:46 PM   #39
KJ
Strike Leader

Reckon if Larson had to bring up more !3th Tribe/Kobollian lore after LPOTG's it'll have to be through discovering some lost 13th tribe settlement on a planet way outside the circle of the Cylon Empire and Colonial Forces influences, someplace that had a 'Pyramid' or anything of particular Kobollian origin set up and several clues to the 13th Tribe having outposts or colony worlds they may have stopped off at while making their way across the universe/cosmos and eventually found Earth to settle on.

After all didn't Glen Larson write an unfilmed story ('The Mutiny') where they found a planet to stop off at and the fleet citizens threatened Mutiny, so they started out exploring the planet, only to find out that an old Wildman by the name "Bengun" was already there, a supposed descendant of the 13th Tribe more or less? I've often said its a real pity none of the unfilmed scripts were filmed seeing as they had some great concepts already worked out on paper they might've added to BG backstory or at the very least filled out some of the jigsaw pieces that made up the first season's backstory far as Kobol and its people goes and anything relating to it.

KJ