Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 1st, 2003, 06:42 PM   #1
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Default TV Guide Mini review

Squonk from CA posted this:
http://www.tvguide.com/tv/coverstory/031201b.asp

I think the reviewer failed to find something truly good to say. It's not outright negative, more apathetic. Backround article above it is interesting. Love how Hammer can spin Mr. Olmos' comments. Makes the whole page feel like a reluctant kiss-up to Universal. Bizarre.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2003, 10:10 PM   #2
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Sorry, Jewels... I posted this in News before seeing your post. (Ack!) I came across the interview while reading TVGuide.com tonight.

M.
:colwar:
Old December 1st, 2003, 10:16 PM   #3
michaelfaries
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

I have to say this: I thought the article (and Matt Roush's review) was fair.

Michael
:colwar:
Old December 2nd, 2003, 07:17 AM   #4
dah66
Warrior

One thing that Roush pointed out is that the mini will garner ratings based on the controversy surrounding the production. Controversy seems to be the central thrust of the add campaign for this show. The Lowdown special was downright combative in tone towards the original fans and they made a point of showcasing the baby killing scene. Also, they seemed to be preoccupied with selling the sex of the show. Hey, I enjoyed seeing Number Six posing for Maxim but what the heck did that have to do with the actual production? Nothing. It was just an excuse to show an attractive woman in her underwear.

Speaking of the add campaign, it seems to me that the SCI FI channel isn't pushing this series very hard. I've seen plenty of print adds for the DVD release and for the video game but none that were exclusively for the mini. When I was at Universal's Citywalk I saw more posters for the Maury Povitch Show than I did for the new Galactica. This seems odd for such a large production. When they were pushing Dune and Taken there were posters at each entrance of our local mall. I've seen nothing like that for Galactica. Maybe they are hoping for low numbers so that they can have an excuse to back away from the ongoing series? With Stargate SG-1 going into an eighth season and Stargate Atlantis gearing up, how could they support 3 expensive shows at the same time? Also, it's my understanding that they have green lit a new mini series from the producers of Taken. So, it's would seem that the SCI FI channels resources are being spread pretty thin.

Dave
dah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2003, 02:00 PM   #5
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Michael, I didn't mean to imply it wasn't fair. He said something about cautiously positive and I have trouble seeing what's positive in how he wrote the rest of the article. It feels like he's choking on his words in places.

I'm used to the type of critic that just blasts away at their discomfort with a show.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

Old December 2nd, 2003, 07:04 PM   #6
dec5
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by dah66
One thing that Roush pointed out is that the mini will garner ratings based on the controversy surrounding the production. Controversy seems to be the central thrust of the add campaign for this show. The Lowdown special was downright combative in tone towards the original fans and they made a point of showcasing the baby killing scene. Also, they seemed to be preoccupied with selling the sex of the show. Hey, I enjoyed seeing Number Six posing for Maxim but what the heck did that have to do with the actual production? Nothing. It was just an excuse to show an attractive woman in her underwear.

Speaking of the add campaign, it seems to me that the SCI FI channel isn't pushing this series very hard. I've seen plenty of print adds for the DVD release and for the video game but none that were exclusively for the mini. When I was at Universal's Citywalk I saw more posters for the Maury Povitch Show than I did for the new Galactica. This seems odd for such a large production. When they were pushing Dune and Taken there were posters at each entrance of our local mall. I've seen nothing like that for Galactica. Maybe they are hoping for low numbers so that they can have an excuse to back away from the ongoing series? With Stargate SG-1 going into an eighth season and Stargate Atlantis gearing up, how could they support 3 expensive shows at the same time? Also, it's my understanding that they have green lit a new mini series from the producers of Taken. So, it's would seem that the SCI FI channels resources are being spread pretty thin.

Dave

SG1 rules.......They luv us SG1 fans......hee hee....
dec5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2003, 11:17 PM   #7
michaelfaries
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by jewels
Michael, I didn't mean to imply it wasn't fair. He said something about cautiously positive and I have trouble seeing what's positive in how he wrote the rest of the article. It feels like he's choking on his words in places.

I'm used to the type of critic that just blasts away at their discomfort with a show.
I was just making a general comment. Nothing aimed your way, or from what you'd said.

Michael
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2003, 11:36 PM   #8
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Speaking as someone who is associated with the press I also thought the article was fair and pretty balanced. Everybody jumps up and down when we get a review like the AICN one, but there are certainly going to be more like this one.

In the end, positive or negative reviews of the mini shouldn't matter, our focus should be on keeping TOS alive and furthering the cause of continuing that story in some way.

Regards,

Peter
Old December 3rd, 2003, 10:48 AM   #9
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

agree on both counts.

The mini isn't critical to us. Whether it is good or bad.

But I do agree with the article. From what I saw its about the response we can respect from the mini. Nothing great. (Though the space secenes are pretty good). The show on a whole is slow. If you like the old show, it the remade Apollo, Starbuck, and Tigh will make you sick. If not, the whole show is lukewarm.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2003, 10:53 AM   #10
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelfaries
I was just making a general comment. Nothing aimed your way, or from what you'd said.

Michael
Not worried about you, just wanted to clarify me!