Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > Colonial Library
Notices
Colonial Library Grab a glass of ambrosa and wrap yourself around stories, written by residents of our little corner of the universe!

Old February 28th, 2004, 03:22 PM   #1
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Wink Pay Dirt and BSG

Why do children do the things they do? Perhaps we might better ask, why do we stop being children at all. It is a terrible thing, the death of a child. So much is lost. So much that might have been. But oughtn’t we mourn the death of the child inside each of us, when the fullness of time buries our innocence in a tiny grave? Is growing up so very important, that we never miss the tender heart we once felt beat within us, or glistening eyes that sparkled with simple wonder, now glazed with Knowledge’s pain? Windows once so clear our soul danced within them, till Time’s arthritic coda bid it hide, a sedentary widow.

There are some strange entries in my baby book, things you might find odd. But to a child they must have been truly special, like a prom to a teen once thought plain. It says there passed a time when I preferred the taste of earth to Mom’s aromatic cuisine. A time when, spoon in hand, I ventured to a certain spot in the yard, and relished eating – dirt. Funny thing, I remember. The taste is still on my tongue, the smell still in my head; warm black earth (clean earth, from a special place), savory and satisfying. My mom and doctors both at a loss, they thought perhaps it was something lacking in my diet. And prescribed delicious chocolate vitamins to quell my odd desire. But I would have none of it; and Mom ate them instead. The entry in the book makes my new family laugh still; I taught my infant brother to eat it as well.

Why is TOS so important to me? Why do I still crave it so? It is a taste unlike any other in the world, a moment frozen in time where faith and hope and characters of warmth dance in my mind still. Something I cannot find on this new plate we call the mini. A need yet to be fulfilled. What I cannot find inside where knife and spoon and kerchief bid me eat conformity.

And so I take my spoon in hand and venture still, outside where waits the saporific delicacy my heart, still young, still craves. My spoon is now a pen, my meal a dream. But somewhere in this bowed and graying frame, each passing day a drop of innocence and hope disturbs an inner pool, where faith’s reflection plays a trick of light and shadow, BSG as young and true as this one’s heart remembers it.

Affectionately and respectfully,
Muffit
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2004, 06:27 PM   #2
ViperTech

Well said, Muffit.

As one who works with kids and teens all the time, we adults are definitely lacking something.

For those of us who were kids when BG-TOS came out, it adds to special memories of a special time. Maybe that's why Ron Moore's "very adult" reimagining of BG is such a
head-shaker to us. Crass, hopeless, unlikable characters having lots of sex appeals to an adult audience.

People often coin the phrase "The Prime of Life" to describe that period in a person's life from late 20's to early 40's. I often think it could br redefined to ages 8-12, give or take a few years. AT least for me and my life, I look at it that way. Kids rule!
Old February 28th, 2004, 06:40 PM   #3
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Muffit,

As always, your stories give me pause, to reflect on those long-ago days of innocence. Your stories touch my soul in a way that very few others have.

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2004, 06:50 PM   #4
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi ViperTech! Thank you for your kind words and for reading! I'm glad you too miss those brief days when time seemed to stand still. I think it is so neat you work with kids. What better way to say how well you remember being one.

BST, thank you once again for such kindness. When someone such as you responds so positively to my thoughts, it truly makes me feel a part of the warmth that is the best part of this world.

Thank you both so much!
Affectionately,
Muffit
Old February 28th, 2004, 07:03 PM   #5
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Mind if I join the lovefest?

Always wonderful, Muffit. Always wonderful. I echo what BSG said.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2004, 07:18 PM   #6
Rowan
On Vacation...

Me too Me too
Muffit, I can see what BST means, you are a very poetic and eloquent writer! I had to read it a couple of times because I was enjoying the meter and sound of the words in my head. For me BSG was very special because it provided me with an escape from the reality of my life I was 14 1/2 when it came out going through the angst of teenage hood, and all that that entails. Despite all the horrors I've seen and the difficulties I've lived through I still retain a lot of that wide eyed wonder from my earliest youth and much to the chagrin of many friends and aquaintacnes do not hesitate to be the silliest of girls

thanks for sharing your essay
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2004, 07:49 PM   #7
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Thanks so much Dawg!

And thank you Gaelen! Thank you so much for reading and your kind reply.

Affectionately,
Muffit
Old March 6th, 2004, 08:45 AM   #8
bsg1fan1975
Major

We all still have a bit of the child in us. Mine just tends to come out more than others I know.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 09:46 AM   #9
braxiss
Major

so true, why do we grow up?????
and why do forget how much fun life is????

thanks muffit
Old March 6th, 2004, 09:52 AM   #10
amberstar
Strike Leader

Beautiful Muffit!

Tos has touched our hearts in a way that only we understand, you have a gift that gives our feelings a voice.
Thank you Muffit

Amber
amberstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 10:20 AM   #11
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Beautiful Muffit, just beautiful. You have a poets soul, don't ever stop writing, please.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #12
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Thank you so much, Bsg, Braxiss, Amberstar and Repcisg!

And one of the nicest things about staying a child is, my eyes still glisten when I hear from each of you...

Old March 18th, 2004, 05:56 PM   #13
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffit
Why do children do the things they do? Perhaps we might better ask, why do we stop being children at all. It is a terrible thing, the death of a child. So much is lost. So much that might have been. But oughtn’t we mourn the death of the child inside each of us, when the fullness of time buries our innocence in a tiny grave? Is growing up so very important, that we never miss the tender heart we once felt beat within us, or glistening eyes that sparkled with simple wonder, now glazed with Knowledge’s pain? Windows once so clear our soul danced within them, till Time’s arthritic coda bid it hide, a sedentary widow.

There are some strange entries in my baby book, things you might find odd. But to a child they must have been truly special, like a prom to a teen once thought plain. It says there passed a time when I preferred the taste of earth to Mom’s aromatic cuisine. A time when, spoon in hand, I ventured to a certain spot in the yard, and relished eating – dirt. Funny thing, I remember. The taste is still on my tongue, the smell still in my head; warm black earth (clean earth, from a special place), savory and satisfying. My mom and doctors both at a loss, they thought perhaps it was something lacking in my diet. And prescribed delicious chocolate vitamins to quell my odd desire. But I would have none of it; and Mom ate them instead. The entry in the book makes my new family laugh still; I taught my infant brother to eat it as well.

Why is TOS so important to me? Why do I still crave it so? It is a taste unlike any other in the world, a moment frozen in time where faith and hope and characters of warmth dance in my mind still. Something I cannot find on this new plate we call the mini. A need yet to be fulfilled. What I cannot find inside where knife and spoon and kerchief bid me eat conformity.

And so I take my spoon in hand and venture still, outside where waits the saporific delicacy my heart, still young, still craves. My spoon is now a pen, my meal a dream. But somewhere in this bowed and graying frame, each passing day a drop of innocence and hope disturbs an inner pool, where faith’s reflection plays a trick of light and shadow, BSG as young and true as this one’s heart remembers it.

Affectionately and respectfully,
Muffit
Well said Muffit. In a since I was never really 'allowed' to be a child.
If I so much as breathed the wrong way I paid for it dearly. You might
say that through my own children ...............I am making up for lost time

For I AM allowing them to grow in their own TIME and their own PACE
{And I for one am enjoying the RIDE they're taking me on }

shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 06:31 PM   #14
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

I am so glad you can at last live your childhood thru your own children, Shiningstar. That is the magic of having children; a chance to live thru their eyes the wonder of being young again. And in that time, we become the taught rather than the teacher, learning what it is to be a living, breathing smile.

Muffit
Old March 19th, 2004, 07:22 AM   #15
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffit
I am so glad you can at last live your childhood thru your own children, Shiningstar. That is the magic of having children; a chance to live thru their eyes the wonder of being young again. And in that time, we become the taught rather than the teacher, learning what it is to be a living, breathing smile.

Muffit

THey are the best of my life (And NOT just because they love TOS BSG78 as
much as I do )

shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote