Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REEL-WORLD CONNECTION > Merchandise & Memorabilia
Notices

Old October 7th, 2005, 12:09 PM   #1
Gideon
Bad Email Address

Default If I had a colonial uniform I'd... be broke!!

Is there a good /reasonably priced place online to get say TOS jacket... pips... patch... etc.?

What about a viper/galactica model?

The stuff is so expensive! I really can't spend more than $20-$30 on an unmade model.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 05:23 PM   #2
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

For all things BSG prop-wise check out :
http://p082.ezboard.com/bpropreplicas
You'll need to register, but its a good site.
Lots of info on where to get all the different patches, cheap!
Centurion Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 05:44 PM   #3
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Regarding the thread title-

"If I had a colonial uniform I'd... be broke!!"

You could always get one, then give it to me. Then neither of us will be broke (you won't be broke cuz you won't have one.... I would instead! )
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 07:58 PM   #4
jjrakman

Someone on that Props board had a fantastic idea. Why aren't there patterns for the uniforms somewhere? This would seem to me like a no brainer. Can someone get this from somewhere?
Old October 7th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #5
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrakman
Someone on that Props board had a fantastic idea. Why aren't there patterns for the uniforms somewhere? This would seem to me like a no brainer. Can someone get this from somewhere?
JJ -

I remember a couple of friends and I gave it a valiant go at "scratch patterning" a TOS uniform. The most difficult part was patterning the neck piece as the collars were a close fit and made in sections. The front piece with the stitching across is kind of tedious to sew, but if you can manage to sew in a straight line (more than once), it looks really good. The rest of the uniform shirt is standard sleeves and so on, as are the pants - they just don't have pockets.

I think that the most difficult thing would be coming up with a suitable fabric, but with today's microfiber fabrics, they have stuff that looks more like suede instead of velour, but it's very light and breathable.

As for patterns that are readily available, I've never seen one, but I have seen people sell ready made uniforms on eBay for 200 dollars or so, but that's just the shirt and the pants.

The jacket is a bitch to do from scratch, but it can be done - again, I've seen really nice ones in the 200 dollar range.

I guess what it all comes down to is either resourcefulness, or a deep wallet!

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 08:55 PM   #6
jjrakman

Quote:
I remember a couple of friends and I gave it a valiant go at "scratch patterning" a TOS uniform.
You'd think that some enterprising collector would have found and published the original patterns for the costumes on the show. The ones that they actually used.

I would never attempt to sew it all together myself. I'm very...close with a seamstress.
Old October 17th, 2005, 08:28 AM   #7
captmiloman
Bad Email Address

The warrior uniform would make a great Halloween costume. I came across a site that sells the jacket, tunic, pants, belt, etc. but they're in the UK and they only accept credit/debt cards on international orders. Too bad Spencer Gifts doesn't sell them, as far as I know of.
captmiloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 08:20 AM   #8
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

I wonder if they ever came out with a skirt style uniform or summer uniforms without the heavy blouse and jacket.

tabbi
Tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 08:33 AM   #9
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Cool

I made my costumes and it was a royal pain. There are no patterns out there and I had to wing it. For the jacket, you can actually modify a demin jacket pattern pretty easily, if you know how to sew.

There is a great source for the braid, patches, hosters, and pins on ebay. I was even able to get the necklaces for my capes and the glove patches from her. She will also make costumes but I hear it will cost you. I have seen her work though and it is AMAZING! I will try to dig up her store ID and post it.

I managed to pick up decent fabric two years ago that is so close that unless you really know BSG, you would say it is the right stuff. This is about the right time of year to find the colors.
KamikazeAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 09:31 AM   #10
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

The only place that sells stuff off the rack is battlestargalactica.org but expect to pay $250 for the jacket and the same amount for the uniform. Plus about that much for a blaster and holster set too!!! AND the same amount for the Sidi Joel Roberts boots...

There never was a 'summer' uniform since there is no summer in space! Remember, it's cold out there!!!

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #11
TSA
Shuttle Pilot

funny thing is...i remember in elementary school when someone had a colonial jacket and someone else had a "V" jumpsuit. i was so jealous!
TSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 07:45 AM   #12
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Cool

Here is the link to the ebay store I mentioned:
http://stores.ebay.com/Katarra8_W0QQ...toreviewQQtZkm
Old October 19th, 2005, 09:35 PM   #13
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Athena, Katarra8 made the burgundy warrior jackets and the dark green one for Apollo for the Second Comming trailer. One of the guys on the A.S.A.P props board was also one of the costumers for that.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 08:18 AM   #14
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Cool

Oh yeah! I forgot about that! I think she still has some of the Second Coming patches for sale. She makes some crazy cool stuff.
Old February 21st, 2006, 09:12 PM   #15
Capt Phlandor

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabitha
I wonder if they ever came out with a skirt style uniform or summer uniforms without the heavy blouse and jacket.

tabbi
Yeah they have a skirt uniform for the warrior Women and the Bridge crew you see it in the origional movie. Athena is wearing it and I believe it is a basic A-line skirt, with nude or tan hose and black boots.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 07:42 AM   #16
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Whoa! did I miss something? Galactica women wearing skirts on the bridge??

does anyone have a screen cap of this or can confirm or deny this???

Old February 22nd, 2006, 07:46 AM   #17
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

I think this is a reference to the med techs. I know I have never seen a Warrior or officer skirt.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 08:53 AM   #18
Capt Phlandor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeAthena
I think this is a reference to the med techs. I know I have never seen a Warrior or officer skirt.
Yes Casiopea wore a skirt with her Medical Uniform, but in the very first BSG-Movie Athena was wearing a skirt coming onto the bridge. And I believe that there was mention of the skirt being worn for dress uniform by the female Warriors. AS with all things military Ladies have the option of pants or skirt or even wearing civilian formal dress for formal occasions.
Old February 24th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #19
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Okay, you're gonna hafta show me this one. I don't recall ever hearing or seeing anything of the like.

Who's got screen-cappage?

-Gordon
Old February 24th, 2006, 12:22 PM   #20
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

...or at least what scene it is in please.
Old April 30th, 2011, 09:58 PM   #21
Colonel Archon
Shuttle Pilot

Default Re: If I had a colonial uniform I'd... be broke!!

Lieutenant, I find myself forced to agree with you. I recently ended up squandering almost a whole secton's pay--over one thousand two hundred cubits--on certain purchases that I concede were ill-advised. But a spending limit of just twenty to thirty cubits on any of these items? Are you smoking plant vapors?
Colonel Archon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 10:02 PM   #22
Colonel Archon
Shuttle Pilot

Now Uri doesn't know all of our warriors on sight! He'll be counting--uniforms, not men.

Well, if Blue Squadron didn't go to the party, who WERE those guys?

Anybody the Commander could find up in the Fleet to fill the uniforms--you shoulda seen the guy who got MINE!!!

I think I did, Jolly!
Old May 2nd, 2011, 09:05 AM   #23
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

OK, maybe this is where the problem is with this skirt idea. Didn't Athena go onto the bridge one time in her fancy dress?? Can't remember exactly, but that's the only explanation for Athena possibly wearing a dress on the bridge. To my knowledge, no woman warrior ever wore a dress with her uniform...

Old May 3rd, 2011, 08:39 AM   #24
Colonel Archon
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeAthena View Post
I made my costumes and it was a royal pain. There are no patterns out there and I had to wing it. For the jacket, you can actually modify a demin jacket pattern pretty easily, if you know how to sew.

There is a great source for the braid, patches, hosters, and pins on ebay. I was even able to get the necklaces for my capes and the glove patches from her. She will also make costumes but I hear it will cost you. I have seen her work though and it is AMAZING! I will try to dig up her store ID and post it.

I managed to pick up decent fabric two years ago that is so close that unless you really know BSG, you would say it is the right stuff. This is about the right time of year to find the colors.
Wait a centon--was that fabric called "butter-suede cloth?" That fabric, in light and dark browns and ultra-dark blue, is Colonial Service issue--and it costs only a fistful of cubits for the quantities needed!
Old May 7th, 2011, 07:19 AM   #25
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

I'm not sure what promted the "Skirt" replies, but I've never seen anyone, Especially Athena wearing a uniform Skirt. Cassie wears a dress as a medtech, but no one wears a skirt.

And there has recently been a pattern for the jackets created and released ( pictures of the jacket pieces at lerast that you can scale & print to make your own) Just check in the costuming section here on the forums. People are still working on the Pants and tunic though. perhaps those patterns will be released as well.

As for what materials and colors to use, Over at Blackstar Squadron we've pretty much settled on "Alova Suade" as the material to use. I can provide the links to an online merchant and the exact colors we've set as standard for the uniforms.

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #26
Colonel Archon
Shuttle Pilot

Battlestar Galactica 1978 Re: If I had a Colonial uniform I'd...be broke!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
I'm not sure what prompted the "Skirt" replies, but I've never seen anyone, especially Athena, wearing a uniform skirt. Cassie wears a dress as a medtech, but no one wears a skirt.

And there has recently been a pattern for the jackets created and released--pictures of the jacket pieces, at least, that you can scale & print to make your own. Just check in the costuming section here on the forums. People are still working on the pants and tunic though. Perhaps those patterns will be released as well.

As for what materials and colors to use, over at Blackstar Squadron we've pretty much settled on "Alova Suede" as the material to use. I can provide the links to an online merchant and the exact colors we've set as standard for the uniforms.
As I had said, I had found butter-suede when I investigated certain textile-ators (the people of Earth call them "fabric stores") that I was directed to when I studied how one 13th Tribe member constructed one. The procedure, as I understood it, involved generous usage of valcron to secure the uniform tunic; the textile costs a mere fistful of cubits per measure, but doing the whole thing yourself saves hundreds and thousands of cubits down the line.
Old May 7th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #27
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Colonel, for those of us born on Earth, the usuage of colonial Terms might be limited a little

And in our search, the Alova Suade is actually a little cheaper then the Butter Suade. Not by much, but it's something.

Colorwise, I think you can get a decent match with both fabrics.

Old May 7th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #28
Colonel Archon
Shuttle Pilot

Default As per Colonial terms...

You noted, Lieutenant, that the use of Colonial terms may be somewhat limited to Thirteenth Tribes-People. Good point. You have to remember, though, that I'm Caprican, and that I find EARTH terms strange!
Old May 7th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #29
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

thank you for noting my rank in the costuming club is wrong, I'm currently strike captain. I'll fix that.

Old October 2nd, 2011, 08:33 PM   #30
Jubal
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Archon View Post
Lieutenant, I find myself forced to agree with you. I recently ended up squandering almost a whole secton's pay--over one thousand two hundred cubits--on certain purchases that I concede were ill-advised. But a spending limit of just twenty to thirty cubits on any of these items? Are you smoking plant vapors?
Love the use of colonial terms. Working on getting better at that myself (for this board since I always loved the alternate jargon.)
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote