Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REEL-WORLD CONNECTION > Chats, Interviews, and Podcasts
Notices

Old May 7th, 2004, 10:28 AM   #1
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan ForceFounder/President
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

Default CFF Announces Net-A-Thon

Colonial Fan Force Announces Net-A-Thon
Original Battlestar Galactica actors gather for first-of-its-kind event to raise money for CFF

(VESUVIUS, VA; SPONDON, DERBY, UK) Four stars of the original Battlestar Galactica television series will join forces with the Colonial Fan Force (CFF) on Wednesday night 26 May 2004 for a groundbreaking “Net-A-Thon.” As part of the CFF fundraising effort, original series actors Dirk Benedict (Starbuck), Laurette Spang (Cassiopeia), Ann Lockhart (Sheba) and Richard Hatch (Apollo) have agreed to be special guests at a series of online fan chats on four different Battlestar Galactica websites in a show of support for the Colonial Fan Force and its goals.

“So far as I’m aware, this is the first time anything like this has been done... at least in the history of Battlestar Galactica fandom,” said CFF President Bill Gordon from the group’s Virginia headquarters. “We're thrilled that all four of them agreed to participate. It just goes to show that the original Battlestar Galactica means as much to them as it does to us, the fans.” CFF UK spokesman Peter Noble added “We’ve come such a long way in such a short period of time, and we’re hopeful that this event will ensure that the CFF reaches its $10,000 goal by the end of June.”

Each chat will last one hour, and will be separated by a 30-minute buffer to allow fans to log out of one chatroom and into the next, and give them time to make contributions between chat sessions. Richard Hatch will kick off the Net-A-Thon at 4:30 pm Pacific (7:30 pm Eastern) at the www.battlestargalactica.com website, followed by Laurette Spang at the Cylon Alliance (www.cylon.org) at 6:00 pm Pacific (9:00 pm Eastern). Dirk Benedict, who hasn’t participated in an online chat in several years, will take the chat reins at 7:30 pm Pacific (10:30 pm Eastern) at the CFF’s own website (www.colonialfanforce.org), and Anne Lockhart, making her internet chat debut, will close out the event beginning at 9:00 pm Pacific (12:00 am Eastern) at www.colonialfleets.com. (The exact chat URL’s will be announced at each of the hosting websites and the CFF homepage as we get closer to the event).

“The idea behind using multiple sites,” said CFF west coast organizer John Pickard, “is to demonstrate the unity among the members of the online Battlestar Galactica fanbase, and to create a true sense of ‘event’ for the Net-A-Thon.” Added Gordon, “While we’re glad to be able to bring these chats to the legions of Battlestar Galactica fans out there, we don’t want to lose sight of the fact that the whole purpose of the Net-A-Thon is to bring the CFF closer to achieving its fundraising goals.” “To that end,” Pickard continued, “each chat will be moderated, and the moderators will offer reminders during the course of each chat that participants can make their contributions to the CFF at our website, either through the link to PayPalTM, or by sending their contribution to our US or UK addresses. The contributions will be tallied throughout the Net-A-Thon, with updates posted along the way.”

“And the best part,” quipped Noble, “is no Wayne Newton!”

The ads are intended to send a message of support to series creator Glen A. Larson (who holds the movie rights to the Battlestar Galactica franchise) and X-Men Producer Tom DeSanto, whose efforts toward a true revival typify the heart and spirit of the Galactica fans want to see on the big screen. The campaign has raised nearly $6,500 since its launch on 8 March 2004.

Since its debut, the CFF effort has garnered the endorsements of chat participants Hatch and Benedict, as well as the endorsements of original series actors Jane Seymour (Serina) and Jack Stauffer (Bojay). Stu Phillips, who composed the original Battlestar Galactica musical score has also offered his endorsement, as has Ronald D. Moore, producer of the SciFi Channel’s reimagined Battlestar Galactica series, and actor Aaron Douglas, who portrays Chief Tyrol in the SciFi Channel series.

Learn more about the effort and the Net-A-Thon by visiting the CFF’s website at http://www.colonialfanforce.org.

#######
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:46 PM   #2
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

This is a FANTASTIC announcment. I'll be there.......

Here's a quick question I have been wondering ? It's great that Anne and Laurette have agreed to do this, but why have they not endorsed the project like others have on the CFF website ?

This is fantastic. Have you thought about asking for a dollar per response, or anything like that ?
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2004, 02:08 PM   #3
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Er, Ernie it's because Jewels sucks at grovelling.
They just haven't specificly said yes to that and I haven't pushed it too hard.... at the time it was more important to find out if they were interested in the chat.

They are both fully aware of the purpose of the chat and one of them helped us make contact with the other.

Jewels, world's worst pest.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2004, 02:18 PM   #4
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

Ernie... there's no way to collect any kind of "fee" to participate in the chats... so, we're just hoping that those who choose to participate understand the reasons why Dirk, Anne, Laurette, and Richard agreed to the chats, and why the CFF was formed in the first place.
Old May 7th, 2004, 02:27 PM   #5
gmd3d
Major

This is fantastic news.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2004, 02:52 PM   #6
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Commander Taggart,

I was intending it as a 'collecting a fee' suggestion, but for of an honour thing....

It is something (presuming I can afford it:-) that I will be doing....
Old May 7th, 2004, 02:54 PM   #7
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Sorry, that would be 'I was not intending it as...'
Old May 7th, 2004, 03:09 PM   #8
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Here's another thought. A while ago I auctioned some stuff on e-bay, with money raised going to the CFF. If this chat goes well, and the actors are willing, why not ask them to sign some stuff and we could place them on ebay, again for the benefit of the CFF ????

Just a thought......
Old May 7th, 2004, 04:01 PM   #9
amberstar
Strike Leader

WOW.........This is a first!

Great Job Commander, hopefully this will turn some heads! Any idea if Larson will be watching????????

Amber
amberstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2004, 06:22 PM   #10
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

Amber, first off... thank you, but credit needs to be shared with Bishop37, Dawg, Jewels, Micheleh, TracyB, and Warrior (with an extra special Shout Out to Warrior for installing the chat room on the CFF server, configuring it, and for demonstrating interstellar patience above and beyond the call of duty by putting up with my incessant requests coupled with my much-less-than-stellar knowledge of html coding!). Recognition is also due to our esteemed chat hosts/moderators, Sandy (TwoBrainedCylon), and CF's own Thomas7g. This event WOULD NOT BE HAPPENING without their help. BTW, another special thank you needs to go out to Westy for coining (so far as I know) the term "Net-A-Thon," (in a post at CA) and putting the idea into my head to begin with!

Secondly, we will do all that we can to ensure that both Larson and DeSanto are fully aware of the Net-A-Thon and the chat schedule. It's going to be a big night for fandom all the way around!
Old May 7th, 2004, 06:28 PM   #11
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

Also, I want to announce that CA's own TBC is hard at work crafting a very special screen wallpaper that will be emailed, free of charge, of charge, to anyone who makes a contribution during the Net-A-Thon as a special "thank you gift!"

It's sure to be one-of-a-kind, not sold in stores, and a limited-edition keepsake that's sure to become a treasured family heirloom!
Old May 7th, 2004, 09:06 PM   #12
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderTaggart
Also, I want to announce that CA's own TBC is hard at work crafting a very special screen wallpaper that will be emailed, free of charge, of charge, to anyone who makes a contribution during the Net-A-Thon as a special "thank you gift!"

It's sure to be one-of-a-kind, not sold in stores, and a limited-edition keepsake that's sure to become a treasured family heirloom!
Just what to know, if I can't make it to the chat, but I do send money to the CCF that night can I still get that wallpaper?

Jim - member of the "1978" club
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2004, 09:15 PM   #13
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

Jim... all contributions that come in that night will be rewarded with the wallpaper.
Old May 8th, 2004, 07:39 AM   #14
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Wonderful news CT! I can't wait!!!

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2004, 08:12 AM   #15
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

Old May 8th, 2004, 01:59 PM   #16
Ian_W359
Warrior

Thumbs up

All I can say is "Brilliant, brilliant!"

All the best,
Ian W359
Ian_W359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2004, 02:38 PM   #17
Westy
Warrior

This is going to be blast! I hope tons and tons of people and fans show up for it! I can't wait

and thanks for the plug Commander Taggart.
Old May 9th, 2004, 06:05 PM   #18
JLHurley
Warrior

Great news. I doubt I'll be popping in for the event, though, so I just made my third $50 donation to CFF. It's well worth the $$$ just for the shot at a BG continuation movie.

C'mon, BG fans--dig deep in those pockets. Don't let this opportunity slip by!
Old May 10th, 2004, 07:02 AM   #19
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

Thanks, JL... your contribution is being procesed now. And for those who are unable to make it to the Net-A-Thon, the chat transcripts will be posted online... so, you'll at least be able to read all about what was said... so, keep those contributions coming in! We're going to hit this goal ahead of schedule!
Old May 12th, 2004, 03:00 AM   #20
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

All I can say is WOW!!!!! That is awesome!!!! I hope I can get off work in time or atleast have a lull in work to jump online for it.
DarkJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 06:57 AM   #21
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

All this talk of chat and so much wonderful hope because of CFF has me too excited to keep it in -- no matter how difficult $$ matters are now, CFF will soon be receiving a new contrib from this silly daggit, at least by the time of the chat!

I LOVE hope. A 4 letter word I don't mind saying loud and often
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:40 AM   #22
Ian_W359
Warrior

Heart

Just thought I'd note that in the UK, the series of chats will start at 00:30 (12:30am) BST on the 27th, so no doubt I'll be making special preparations to burn the midnight oil!

All the best,
Ian W359
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:35 PM   #23
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

I hear you, Ian... it's not such a small world, after all, is it?
Old May 12th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #24
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_W359
Just thought I'd note that in the UK, the series of chats will start at 00:30 (12:30am) BST on the 27th, so no doubt I'll be making special preparations to burn the midnight oil!

All the best,
Ian W359
I hear you Ian, I've got my matchsticks prepared to keep my eyes open!

Peter
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:57 PM   #25
Ian_W359
Warrior

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble
I hear you Ian, I've got my matchsticks prepared to keep my eyes open!

Peter
I think I'm going to use a combination of strong coffee and adrenalin to keep me going! (or maybe a power nap beforehand!)

Ian W359
Old May 12th, 2004, 03:27 PM   #26
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Gentlemen, we are British ! We don't need matchsticks.... What happened to our British stiff upper lip ? I'll stay up all night to show how it is done !!!!
Old May 14th, 2004, 01:48 PM   #27
Ian_W359
Warrior

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125
Gentlemen, we are British ! We don't need matchsticks.... What happened to our British stiff upper lip ? I'll stay up all night to show how it is done !!!!
I think it may be a case of 'stiff upper eyelids'

Ian W359
Old May 18th, 2004, 05:32 PM   #28
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Taggart, moved this into news because, by gum, THIS IS NEWS.

Please do a separate post in News when the actual chat urls are announced so everyone sees the new info.

So psyched. this will be so much fun!

You can keep commenting in here, everyone else.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote