Notices

Old October 17th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #31
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDBattlestar Galactica
Revivalist

One of my other concerns is there was no resolution to Adama's wanting to resign in the deleted scenes. Did it feel like it was left hanging or did it play out alright?

I was thinking his "pulling up his britches" and having to save the fleet again at Carillon may have convinced him he is needed.
David Kerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 08:55 PM   #32
SilentBob
Warrior

Very good job Mr. Kerin!!!!
SilentBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #33
Aussie Warrior
Warrior

I lost my broadband speed at 85% in so i limped across the finish line at 7kb and so i got it at 9:50pm AEST but i managed to put it onto DVD and give it a briefi viewing

I believe it really shown the destruction of the fleet and planetary defences the way it was supposed to be shown, i believe the scenes that were added in blended greatly with the original footage
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:22 AM   #34
Aussie Warrior
Warrior

Does anybody still got the other episode files up from when i put the links up on TorrentBox, at GalacticaBBS.com there have been requests to see the episodes but i deleted the files off mine after weeks of inactivity and to make space of the Saga of a Starworld

So if anybody still has it on there computer can they still share it around........i'm going to put the Saga edit up on Torrentbox for the GalacticaBBS people to find it easily with the other episodes

EDIT: I've directed the people at GalacticaBBS to go to demonoid to get Saga of a Star World
Old October 19th, 2006, 10:55 AM   #35
bionicbob
Warrior

Superman/Smallville

Just watched the SAGA re-edit a second time.

Again, Mr. Kerin, BRAVO!!!

I think the Adama "retirement" scenes worked very well, bringing greater depth to the character. I also think this sub-plot was very neatly resolved with Adama's show-down with Uri in the council chambers during their debate about disarming the fleet and settling on Carilon. This is where Adama comes to the realization only he can lead the fleet to safety.

The destruction of the colonies (I love how you tried to make each colony world/city look a bit different and unique) and final battle were awesome. Your re-edits and new f/x were great. But some of my favorite stuff, were just the small enhancements here and there, occassionally I would have to pause the dvd and rewind a scene and ask myself was that original footage or an enhancement. A great compliment to a great editor! My absolute favorite enhancement is your adding of display graphics to the Imperialis Leader's throne room. As a fan, I could never figure out why the Cylon Leader sat all the time in the dark staring at a blank wall on a pedistal. But with your simple but brillant additional f/x, it all makes perfect sense now. Excellent work!

In fact the only minor quibble I have is some scenes the voice and lips are off slightly by a second or so, but this may be my burning program or player.

So again, wonderful work!

bionicbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #36
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicbob
My absolute favorite enhancement is your adding of display graphics to the Imperialis Leader's throne room. As a fan, I could never figure out why the Cylon Leader sat all the time in the dark staring at a blank wall on a pedistal. But with your simple but brillant additional f/x, it all makes perfect sense now. Excellent work!
What the...?

WASN'T THAT ONE OF MY EARLY SUGGESTIONS!!! Cos i already figured Imperious Leader always needed to be doing something while up there, with his 3 Brains and all! Had i been re-editng the pilot, its something i would've done hands down.

David Kerin i can't wait to see this thing! You sir are "The Don" indeed!

Thing is, my speed is taking its sweet time getting this puppy. Mainly cos i'm downloading other torrent files and all. Soon as i've got it too. I might upload your other BG fan re-edit movies cos you been asking for some help in that area, on Demonoid.

I'll let you all know as soon as i get this saga re-edit and see it though.

KJ
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #37
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Thanks, and the more subtle are the ones I tend to prefer as well. And yes, LKJ, you suggested the holographic displays. Although this is kind of a combination. I wanted displays, but the IL chamber always resembled a planetarium to me, to I have the displays "projected" on the walls, rather than free floating 3d holograms. Thought it gave those huge walls, and the lights on them, a bit more purpose.

One of my favorites, I like the Starbuck crash scene. Seeing the Viper race toward the bay, then sliding across the deck. I think I like it because it worked out better than I thought it would.
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #38
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

These descriptions sound so cool. Can't wait to see them all.

One day, the Galactica will return, but until then these help satisfy my thirst for the TOS universe !
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 03:16 PM   #39
KJ
Strike Leader

Yeah actually seeing the Battlestar's landing bay from the Viper pilot's POV is something i've always wanted BG to have in there. The matte painted version of it is generally kinda empty looking ya know? But i guess the Viper crash landing you've put in there (what i saw on youtube.com so far) is close enough to getting a feel of how big a Battlestar truly is.

I probably would've added many more holograms wherever possible and all if i was going the saga re-edit. Updated some of the green computer displays of the colonials visual technology and given the Cylon Raiders a "computer grid" targeting screen as well. And basically improved them somewhat and "pasted" different visual graphics over the stock footage shots on the bridge monitors on the Galactica. As they give away far too many over used Viper, Raider and shuttle shots in each and every episode, let alone the pilot.

Another idea i had was to give the Cylon Centurions a "POV" look of their own? With a "red eye" darting back and fourth one wonders how Centurions see everything or how exactly they see things. I'd imagine that they have a 'cyborg' style computer readout with information being scanned and everything, relaying detailed info on their targets back to them within their field of vision, ST:TNG's Geordie LaForge style and all etc. Playing around with the audio, i wondered if the voices of the Centurions could be altered slightly from one another to give the Cylons less of a 'drone' like personality. Alternate tones from one another to established that they have a kind of indivdual mind set from one each other.

They are Cylons after all and not "Borg" mind you?

I mean, don't they have individual names even, like 'Serpentine' being one example.

As always, you have my permission to steal these ideas for future BG re-edits Dave?

KJ
Old October 19th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #40
KJ
Strike Leader

P.S.

Makes you wonder, what Baltar was doing in the Imperious Leader's styled chamber on his Basestar for several episodes throughout the series? Do they just sit up there cos they are in charge, or is it an ego thing? Will the future David Kerin fan recuts of Galactica feature Baltar looking at various holograms displays in the chamber getting information from the Cylon Empire itself and looking at their operations and activities.

Food for thought methinks!

KJ
Old October 19th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #41
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

I like the ideas, but for me, those are far to detailed for me to go. To go into tracking video monitors over the existing monitors alone is an undertaking. If the shot is completely locked down and still, it is a bit easier, but then you have to mask out areas if a person walks in front. If the camera has a zoom, pan, tilt, etc, well it is not fun to track those. Especially since the moves are hand operated.

A quick shot of a targeting system, or Cylon POV would be interesting. Although they're such bad aims, maybe we can work in a glitch right before they fire.

Which reminds me, I know this is a GINO free zone, but I was surprised to see in one of the recent eps that their centurion opened fire on a group of soldiers, and amazingly missed the group with its automatic weapon and instead hit the stream in front of them. Seems like the realism of the show didn't quite catch onto the idea of a computer/android probably having pretty accurate aim.
Old October 19th, 2006, 04:59 PM   #42
bionicbob
Warrior

Superman/Smallville

Yeah, the overhead shot of Starbucks viper crash landing was very neat!

Mr. Kerin, was just curious, exactly how long (from start to finish) did it take you do this re-edit? About how many hours? Did you create all the effect shots from scratch for this edit or were the basic model programs already created from your previous edits?

I have no experience or knowledge of this type of work and am curious how long such a project takes? It must have been quite a labour of love. And from all Galactica fans I THANK YOU.
Old October 19th, 2006, 06:20 PM   #43
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

It is hard to get an accurate idea of time. I've worked on it in free time after getting home from work, of course first... having dinner, getting the kids in bed, and of course seeing if I had any actual freelance work to do, or being too tired to look at a computer. Weekends are a big help. I think it may have been a couple months time. Actual time spent only on the re-edit, I really do not know.

Many of the models I had made from years earlier where I used them for still picture renderings. I also used them as a way to start learning 3d programs back then. So having those on hand made the decision to try the re-edits alot easier.

As for creating the effects shots, I kind of did an old fashioned approach to help speed up my time frame. I rendered numerous passes of each ship (Viper, Raider, Shuttle) with a key signal so it can be layered easily over other backgrounds. I could then mix different shots in different ways. This is similar to what they originally did back then on BSG and Buck Rogers, only theirs were physical models.

Then in compositing these shots I used original footage as some backgrounds, or rendered some planet elements, and did some "matte paintings" in Photoshop. Again, all kind of old school. Only with new school computer programs. I know things would look better if every 3d shot is rendered in 3d with all its elements already there, but that would be a huge consumption of time.

Other shots and backgrounds were borrowed from various sources. Some of the cities are paintings from scifi artists of the 1970's era. Thought I'd try to stick with paintings of that time. Plus I always loved the older space art books. Some of the destruction scenes were from some of the Gamera films produced in the 1990's, and the shot with the beam coming down through the clouds and resulting in the explosion over the city was from Godzilla: Final Wars. So for creative license, and not having the time to create something of that level from scratch, other films can come in handy.

For some of the other effects, like laser blasts, and for the actual image combining/compositing, I use Adobe After Effects. This program works well with both Photoshop, and Premiere. Premiere is what I actually did the editing with.

Another thing that saved me time is that my job has me using Photoshop, After Effects and editing programs every day, so I kind of travelled that learning curve some time back. Although I've found you are always on the curve, as there is always something new to learn in those programs.

Hope that helps. And you are right, these are a labour of love. Basically my love and enjoyment of Battlestar Galactica. This show grabbed my imagination as a kid back in 1978, and has never let go. Why? Who knows. But it did. I'm glad the internet came around and actually helped bring fans together, and a way to share these things that I do. I've said before that I'd probably still do these even if it was just for myself, but getting to share them, and knowing other fans are getting some enjoyment from them as well... it's pretty damn cool. And rewarding.

Thanks again, and my best to you all,

Dave
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #44
KJ
Strike Leader

I think it should be noted that. Mission Galactica: The Cylon Attack and the Galactica telemovies had various SFX shots, extended stock footage scenes (by mere seconds mind you?) and matte effects which weren't in the TV series which they should've however.

Will you rip'em for any of the future fan re-edits of yours David?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kerin
Other shots and backgrounds were borrowed from various sources. Some of the cities are paintings from scifi artists of the 1970's era. Thought I'd try to stick with paintings of that time. Plus I always loved the older space art books. Some of the destruction scenes were from some of the Gamera films produced in the 1990's, and the shot with the beam coming down through the clouds and resulting in the explosion over the city was from Godzilla: Final Wars. So for creative license, and not having the time to create something of that level from scratch, other films can come in handy.
Big "G" fan are ya, nice?

Same here.

I was thinking if any shots from other movies could be added, that they'd be from Universal movies (thus avoiding any legal entanglements and keeping things within Universal's domain?)

Makes me think, if adding the modern spinning "Universal Globe" opening shot would add to the re-edit and give tell-tell signs of Dave's "Saga" being a major special edition style job with 100% effort thrown in there.

Speaking of which i'm almost at 90%, not long now before i too get to enjoy this thing, wish me luck!

And thanks once again DK

KJ
Old October 20th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #45
jjrakman

I haven't been able to burn it to DVD yet, but I'm still letting my machine seed it. I think.
Old October 20th, 2006, 08:33 PM   #46
jjrakman

Just burned it to DVD, and it plays perfectly in my DVD burner. But alas, when I pop it into my cheapo Apex, it reads, "No Disc." No surprise really, I often have trouble with *ahem* "home-made" DVD's in the Apex.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 12:24 AM   #47
KJ
Strike Leader

GOT IT FINALLY!

Burned it and spent the last 2 and half hours watching a sci-fi classic once again.
Only this time it was expanded upon! Will give my review of ave's cut in over 24 hours after i catch some shut eye (some invisible force is keep me awake as i type this?).

DK?

You're "The mother f**king "Don" nuff said!

In honor of this i'll upload all 5 of your BG movies from demonoid after my review, so for those that want Dave's previous BG fan edits, grab yourselves a demonoid torrent of the various files you want (and no other?) and wait 24 to 48 plus hours before i start them up again for a short time period!

I'll upload for a week or so before i let everybody else seed, as my PC needs a break (i've downloaded tons of other files for the past few months, don't want to tax my PC too much). And don't leech and run either cos i'll know, then i'll just let whomever gets 100% to takeover by themselves.

Laters.

KJ

P.S. Once again great re-edit. Knew it would be incredible. i'll discuss this more when i get back people. Wish me well.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 09:51 AM   #48
KJ
Strike Leader

Get a fan made DVD cover for Dave's Saga SE re-edit right here at...

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...390D5E169F3956

And also, i've put this jpeg into the folder of BSG-saga SE that i'm seeding, so for you others out there that haven't got this yet. You'll get a little extra something from my seed of this torrent.

Figure, that i'll finally get some sleep now, its been a long morning and night for me at least.

KJ
Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:00 AM   #49
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Freakin' sweet dude! (and you know it must be when I dig out my way-cool lingo)

Hmmm, nice printer, glossy paper, empty box... I'm set!

Many, many thanks.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 11:58 AM   #50
KJ
Strike Leader

Thought i'd improvise ya know. If i find anymore fan made DVD cover designs out there that i may come along, in they go as well!

Did you get my last PM David?

KJ
Old October 22nd, 2006, 12:01 PM   #51
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Did not, just saw it there now. I'll go read.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 03:25 PM   #52
jjrakman

Just played the DVD at a friend's house and it worked great! Really cool stuff. Loved the destruction of the Colonies.

Will any of the other re-edits be available in ISO format at some point in the future so I can watch them on DVD?
Old October 22nd, 2006, 06:37 PM   #53
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

You know, I was just talking about uploading them again at some point, and when I do, I will do them as ISO images of the files. They will be a bit larger, as with "Saga", but better quality and easier to view on the good ole TV set.

After Saga runs for a while, I'll upload one of the others. Actually I have Living Legend as its own DVD iso, Return of Starbuck(Judgement Day) as its own, and then Hand of God and Experiment in Terra on one DVD ISO. After all, for my home viewing I have them set up that way, but when initially uploading them I was thinking more of file size and that's why I went with the xvid avi files.

Maybe I'll go back and throw extras onto the disks. At least the raw files, any other little things I can throw in.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 06:53 AM   #54
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

David where is the link to it? I seem to be too stupid to find it
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:37 AM   #55
KJ
Strike Leader

BG fan re-edit review time.

Well what can i say. Galactica fandom's now got a expanded version of the pilot that adds a few more layers to an already larger than life short lived, sci-fi concept series!

Anyone who remotely knows of BG story in the original series would appreciate the additions on display here. The little touches of a few things thrown into the foreground and background and bolder ones like big expansive changes to the opening quite literary. The beginning could benefited from seeing Zac's deleted scene from the 2003 DVD's though as well as throughout the movie, although thats a point i'll come back to. More than anything David, you did superb job, i'm guessing a few shock scenes can't be helped and you're only one man at the end of the day. But i'm sure, i along with everyone else who will see this thing will say; Imagine what would happen if Universal got off their asses and made a major restoration job on recutting Galactica for a special edition remastered set of DVD's for 2008?.

Cos if one fan capable of doing a decent and fair recut which basically only adds to the overall story of the original. Can you imagine what an official "Star Trek" like remastered TOS BG would possible be like at all?

First off, the other Battlestars getting their names out there was kinda too brief and, but it does convey the fact they had names etc and i'm sure you worked with what you could without going overboard. Secondly, the Colonies extended destruction was more wide scale and again makes me think an official special edition nearly 30 years later would no doubt be jaw dropping. SteveW has alot to be proud of too, those designs of his o the "Colonial Defender/Destroyer , fit into the pilot like they belonged there all along etc. Stock footage use here could've given them a crew for a few brief seconds like the "Columbia" shots with intercut editing and whatnot, but no complaints here just thoughts chief? the matted shots of artwork representing colonial "cities" are yours? They are definitely great plus here on all counts fleshing out a little bit more of the colonies! Borellian nomen, Bora and Maga being super cool even in the face of ultimate destruction was a scene stealer. O.K. its a composited shot, but done with class and looks great onscreen once the movie is burned to DVD.

I was expecting those holograms to be on the Galactica's bridge all 3D and all possibly taken from all kinds of minor SFX shots and fan movies etc, but seeing Imperious Leader use them is good enough. Moving on, the longer scene with Adama and Athena and the whole Adama retiring subplot only proves it should've been left in, thanks for putting this back it plays nicely. Yeah Adama does realise only he can lead them when the Council an Uri want to destroy their weapons at the drop of a hat .

The Nova Madagon and the Ovion tunnels on Carillon both benefited from the simple use of altering "Hues", balancing RGB's and basic colour correction in the editing i take it. Cos these scenes now are practically the best part of the Saga fan edit, proving galactica's pilot episode will look 100 times better if Dave was in a multi-million dollar studio with every he needed and could dream of and more in producing an official re-edit! Only garrish looking kinda effects i saw where the hordes of Cylon Raiders.

Gahhhhhh, i figured i truly had lack of sleep and went all cross-eyed?

Other than that, everything else is cool with me. Yes its understandable that every idea we gave you wasn't going to be in there. But you've achieved quite alot for one man alone. And its all about entertainment at the end of the day.

So i'd like to say thank you!

I was thinking though, you could now recreate the original test pilot, that ABC saw before they ordered chops to the first cut of Galactica? In other words, restore every deleted scene including the Serina subplot, bare chested Starbuck kissing Cassiopea in the launch tube, the Ovions with Boxey? (looked at the 2003 DVD last night too you could've added that back in as well dude?) etc.

That for a fan edit would also be a nice kind of what if.. scenario to take a gander at.

Well done David Kerin, and as i said in pm (read the new one ) i'm truly glad you gave us this. So much so, i added the DVD cover i found and a few other Pro-TOS BG goodies on the file folder which is still up loading from my end of things! so the folder maybe around 3.17 gig now!

Hope you and everyone else can enjoy them. Being this torrent might reach untold amounts of people out there, i put some "Pro-BG" stuff i've saved from fandom over the years only to support what Dave's done here. Figured a few more extras would help image and file wise?

KJ

P.S.

When can we expect the re-edits of; Lost Planet Of The Gods, Gun On Ice Planet Zero, War Of The Gods, Greeting From Earth and the series standalone episodes after you've rested up for a couple of weeks?
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:35 PM   #56
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Hate to say it right now, but I don't know when, or if, I am going to do any more. At least right now the excitement to go into another is not there for me. Of course that can tie into it being a busy time at work, a freelance gig that is, well, freelancey and time consuming, and the desire to step away from the computer.

So in the long and short of it, there will not be another re-edit for some time, if I were to take on any more at all. Although I may upload the other ones already done as DVD ISO images with some extra's that I can throw in.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:33 PM   #57
Effingham
Bad Email Address

I'm watching it now.

Absolutely spectacular job. My compliments for the work!!

Effingham
Effingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #58
vaporloc
Shuttle Pilot

very cool
vaporloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #59
KJ
Strike Leader

Bout time David got more praise from others especially from those that are new or those that past by every now and then.

Say David, i don't suppose the folks over at fanedited.com have noted your effects or anything have they?

http://www.fanedited.com/

Anyways still seeding this baby. I want to come here later in the week when more folks see this to offer up a second more detailed review when i find the time necessary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingjason
I was thinking though, you could now recreate the original test pilot, that ABC saw before they ordered chops to the first cut of Galactica? In other words, restore every deleted scene including the Serina subplot, bare chested Starbuck kissing Cassiopea in the launch tube, the Ovions with Boxey?
Makes me think, a fan edit restoring the original first run cut "test pilot" with all the DVD's deleted footage might be in order indeed for a 'what if'... style version of BG! And i might do this cut myself whether it be on DVD or a "raw" VHS tape version in the future.

KJ
Old October 25th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #60
bionicbob
Warrior

Superman/Smallville

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kerin
So in the long and short of it, there will not be another re-edit for some time, if I were to take on any more at all. Although I may upload the other ones already done as DVD ISO images with some extra's that I can throw in.

The other BSG re-edits on ISO? That would be totally awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!