Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 18th, 2004, 05:13 PM   #1
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Default Skiffy

Has anybody seen these fools bad mouthing CF at The Skiffy Board?
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 05:18 PM   #2
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevew
Has anybody seen these fools bad mouthing CF at The Skiffy Board?

Steve -

Yes I did - the oddest thing was that one of them claimed to be a member of CF.... Some people! I can see why some don't come here when someone like that runs off at the mouth!

Bryan
________
New Jersey Marijuana Dispensaries
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 05:33 PM   #3
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

I just get tried of these liers
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 06:21 PM   #4
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

The poster you are most likely refering to as having an account here is someone I converse with at other boards.
It is quite possible that he has an account here under a different name, and primarily lurks.

I would like to comment a monent about the Theodore-the Ted character that revmoved his posts by request here. I am certainly not in this to challenge Titon, et al who are really in charge here. I am not saying this to start an argument with the old guard. I am saying this to offer an example of how strong negative feelings expressed against such posters have the effect of strengthening the position of BSG fandom's greatest bane.

TtT was here for a time primarily because he left a board that Larocque was having issues with. The same board that issued a call for "CF refugees" during the recent down time. Instead of recognizing his righteous stand in leaving that cesspool, he was criticised by those that did not know what was going on. Rather than adding him to your "ignore list" he has basically been forced by default back to that board. Much like the "clone" accusations and other harsh and frankly rude treatment of many fans of the RDM product that have a published history of being a TOS supporter back in the years before the mini (koenigrules comes to mind as one pro-mini in this category that has been treated at times as a pariah, even though he has written articles on TOS years ago).

Some of us RDM BSG fans would like to clean up our side of the fandom. The automatic rejection of those of us that are trying to react with principles against the troublemakers in our own camp is not helped by the automatic suspicion that we fans must hate the original show just because we like the new one.

Back to the scifi posts. There certainly are those that would like to see this board fail. Some of these are expatriates with an axe to grind. That cannot be helped. Others are those that like me, enjoy the new show, and are met with hostility for that. I understand the reasons for this. It is a natural reaction, but it has an unfortunate effect.

Post with me at scifi to counter these false claims.

But remember, when the curious either lurk, or join up here, they judge this board by the content of the posters. It is all of our actions here that ultimately shape the opinions of outsiders. Reactionary and relflexive posts do little to make the casual fan from scifi think as I do that this is a great place for all who love BSG.
Old February 18th, 2004, 06:32 PM   #5
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Marley
But remember, when the curious either lurk, or join up here, they judge this board by the content of the posters. It is all of our actions here that ultimately shape the opinions of outsiders. Reactionary and relflexive posts do little to make the casual fan from scifi think as I do that this is a great place for all who love BSG.
Good words, Darth, very good words.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 06:55 PM   #6
The Rain
Bad Email Address

Default This is all so damned silly.

It's a freakin' TV show for christ's sake! :

No wonder I have so little to add to the discussions.
I'm just waiting on the next episode to air so we can all debate the merits or whatever. Maybe Aaron will have something fun to do in it. This is bull.

Later, friends. Hope ya'll have a good day tomorrow.
It's been raining like there's no tomorrow here in northern Cal. That REALLY SUCKS! I'm ready for summer.

The Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 06:58 PM   #7
The Rain
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rain
It's a freakin' TV show for christ's sake! :

No wonder I have so little to add to the discussions.
I'm just waiting on the next episode to air so we can all debate the merits or whatever. Maybe Aaron will have something fun to do in it. This is bull.

Later, friends. Hope ya'll have a good day tomorrow.
It's been raining like there's no tomorrow here in northern Cal. That REALLY SUCKS! I'm ready for summer.

My post is kinda funny considering my signature.

The Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 07:22 PM   #8
Firefly
Bad Email Address

I don't really post over at Skiffy anymore. I don't know, to me it just seems almost the same as a bunch of children in a shouting match with one another....most of it anyway. There are a FEW posts and persons making the attempt to keep things civil and friendly.....to those persons (you know who you are)..I salute you!!!

I lurk over there now, and yes, I've seen the negative comments about both CF and MB (both of which I'm a member of), and for the most part...I just can't agree with said posts. There are some unfortunate circumstances that have happened (all together), but nothing that can't be overcome. Pro-TOS and Pro-Mini should not have to be enemies (I mean, do we have to brain one another or something?), but it perfectly all right to disagree.

Having said all that, I can only follow up with:

I miss Starbuck (Dirk)! I miss Apollo (Hatch)! And I miss my "Chrome Toasters "!

I want to see what's up with Boomer being a Cylon! I think #6 is HOT !! I like the new Starbuck!

I must be schitzophrenic!!!

So please, don't hate me because I'm beautiful......no....wait......just don't hate me!!

Ok, I'm going to skulk away now.

Thanks,
Firefly

>>>>>End of Line<<<<<
Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 07:58 PM   #9
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Default Darth...

Darth -

You make some good points - I'm not going to enumerate them in a yahren-long post, but I'll take a stab at at digest version...

My basic policy is that if someone is really unhappy about being on a board, why stay there? If it makes you unhappy, why go somewhere to complain about it? Saying that you're a member and criticizing any board you are a part of says more about the individual than it does about the board. I guess we all have our weak moments to cruise one of the other BSG boards like Skiffy or MB, but I'm pretty busy just keeping up with CF & CA.... I don't bother to cruise those boards unless it's a slow day at the other 2!

As to being "forced" to be limited to certain boards - In my eyes, those folks made those beds themselves and now must lie in them. If anyone wants to be part of a board, you should try surfing the board for a while and get to know how things are on it - if it's a likely place to hang out, then join up and post away. But, if it doesn't look like your kind of place and you join anyway, start posting and get a "bad"reputation on that board - well, actions have consequences and you have to live with them. It's a choice in my book, you can't be a victim unless you allow yourself to become one.

Personally, I never had a problem with Theodore-THE-Ted. I can see why someone might take things the wrong way, but I think that what he posted was mostly "tongue-in-cheek" and I could appreciate his offbeat sense of humor. It probably just doesn't always transfer very well in the written word. I really loved his "Alternate BSG Universe" stories....!

Nick (Firefly) -

I very rarely post over at Skiffy anymore - maybe once in a blue moon. I did see some posting today that was quite insightful and interesting. It was a nice change from all the sniping and backbiting. Maybe things can change, but it would take the effort of those posting to ignore the trolls as if they don't exist and do the best they can to have some meaningful exchanges instead.

And we don't hate you....."Maya doesn't hate you...Sahn doesn't hate you...Tony Doesn't hate you...." (Space:1999 reference). You're one of the most interesing "crossover" BSG fans, you should post here at CF more often!

Well, I said that I was gonna keep this short.....heh!

Best to you guys,
Bryan
________
No2 vaporizer
Old February 18th, 2004, 08:07 PM   #10
larocque6689
Warrior

Theodore-the-Ted is a funny guy. Some of his bumper stickers made me laugh - especially the Ron Moore worshippers graphic. He has a sense of humor lacking in the original Ted and who managed to be rubbed the wrong way by a certain journalist. He won the "Most Annoying Pro-Mini" crown with much gusto at Moist Board, and I laughed when he took Neuromanzr's Bea Arthur fixation and simply ran with it. Anyway - I hope he returns to Moist Board and clones off a copy of Jonathan-the-John, because we need a few more (funny) clones over there.

By the way, I appreciated his support last week.
Old February 18th, 2004, 08:13 PM   #11
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Yes, Rain, it's only a TV show - which is why it boggles the mind the depth of vitriol and hatred that spews from some mouths elsewhere about this board. I attribute it to small minds looking for some vicarious thrill at causing trouble. BSG really has little to do with it.

Lords know we've had enough of that type over the past couple of years.

TheodoreTheTed tested the limits with some of his satirical material about TOS - some of it was in such poor taste that it offended, so he was asked to alter it. That's the same thing that would happen if the same kind of material was posted about the mini or the upcoming series. CF is a place for rational discussion. It's not a place for unsupported slams against anyone, or either show.

At the same time, Titon's made it very clear that CF's "editorial position" is in support of a TOS continuation. Does this mean that people who liked the mini are unwelcome? No. Not in the least. Frankly, I'm enjoying interacting with people like antelope, Darth, Laroque (who's an old buddy now), Aaron, and even you, Rain. We certainly don't agree about some things, but that hasn't stopped us from getting friendly.

We do share one thing in common, though: an appreciation of TOS that transcends how we feel about the RDM project. Face it, if you didn't like TOS to some degree, you'd probably not want to be around here.

CF is going to be the place where TOS fans who hated the mini are going to become friends with TOS fans who loved it - and vice versa.

Darth really did say it well:

Quote:
Now is the best time to rebuild any bridges that have been burned between BSG fans of all stripes. Now is the time for all TOS fans to come together, whether you liked the mini or didn't. I welcome any and all who enjoyed the mini, who are looking forward to the series, who also remember TOS fondly - or want to learn more about it.

What's the problem with that?

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 08:16 PM   #12
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

I think it best to keep my anti-Milton rants limiTED to the SCMB. AS well as any MBMB bashing. (And of course,CA).

SciFi BB is a free fire zone as far as I am concerned.
I will contribute to the serious posts, and take a stand with the bashing ones.
Hey, even Scooter has some kind things to say about this board.
And I have only one BIG thing against the MBMB. As I have said at scifi, if I didn't like that place, I wouldn't think it was worth trying to save. Many good posters there.
Old February 18th, 2004, 08:30 PM   #13
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Marley
I think it best to keep my anti-Milton rants limiTED to the SCMB. AS well as any MBMB bashing. (And of course,CA).

SciFi BB is a free fire zone as far as I am concerned.
I will contribute to the serious posts, and take a stand with the bashing ones.
Hey, even Scooter has some kind things to say about this board.
And I have only one BIG thing against the MBMB. As I have said at scifi, if I didn't like that place, I wouldn't think it was worth trying to save. Many good posters there.
Darth -

You show discretion in what you do - as well as where and when. That's a very admirable way to become a part of whichever board at any given time. I did see that Scooter was giving Fleets some props as well - considering the length of quality time that he spent here, I'm sure that he is being very diplomatic in recommending that folks abandon "the back forty" and move to Fleets or one of the other boards.

I can appreciate your position concerning MB - It was in existence before it was included in Ted's website and the owners of MB are learning the hard way of how to deal with what most of the BSG community has been dealing with for over a year now. I think that if MBs owners make the right decisions for the right reasons, they will come out ahead in the end. I agree that there are some good people over there, some of them come here too...

I can't say enough about Colonial Fleets - I really do love this place. I've been WAY more active on this board since its recent "resurrection". Don and Tom are doing a good job keeping things together. I would also like to compliment the mods that Fleets used to have in staff - they had a hard job during very hard times. I don't know if I could have done what they did as well as they did it.

Here's to the journey (forward),
Bryan
________
Bmw R1100Rt
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:42 AM   #14
Bombadil

It never much bothered me that there were some foolish people posting at SciFi. What bothered me was that the moderators never contributed any information. SciFi's official silence, when somebody could have made some helpful statements, bugged the heck out of me. They were/are the "official" board of BG, but they never said anything official, and never directly replied to any of my own queries. That's why I left there. And it really has been awfully quiet there compared to a month ago. I speculate that a lot of other people got tired of being ignored, too.
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:49 AM   #15
Westy
Warrior

TtT shouldn't have been chased back to MB. I agree with Darth Marley. His bumper stickers were satire not insult.
Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:11 AM   #16
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Perhaps they were meant as humorous satire, Westy (I found a couple of them genuinely funny, in fact), but some were in pretty poor taste and offended. Because of that, he was asked to remove them. He did.

That was the end of it.

It was the same reaction that would have been if those bumper stickers had been directed at the mini, BTW.

TtT was not asked to leave, he was welcome to continue to interact with the rest of the membership here. He was not treated any differently than anyone else here. He left of his own free will.

Personally, I'd like everyone to be comfortable about posting their opinions here, but there are going to be those who aren't. Perhaps TtT is one of those. I don't know.

Too bad, regardless.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:26 AM   #17
Westy
Warrior

I didn't think he was asked to leave, and maybe chased was too strong a word. I'm just sick of all this already! hheh I think I need several months of memories blanked out. I can't remember the last time I actually talked about TOS or the mini....I think I'll watch a DVD disc and maybe that'll help me.
Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 12:48 PM   #18
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rain
My post is kinda funny considering my signature.

My thoughts exactly! :laugh: The Rain doesn't like rain too funny! You will hear me grousing about rain sometime between March and May (aka: rainy season part 1 here in Ohio. Part 2 usually happens in October... grey skies, nothing but grey skies....

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 01:04 PM   #19
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

I thought the lime green and yellow extra large type on TtT's posts was more obnoxious than anything he actually said. They just hurt to read. The bumper stickers were a bit dicey, but some were actually funny, in a biting satirical sort of way. I think if he had waited to post those until he'd been around a month and we'd gotten to know him: they might have been received differently: or at least we'd have said (picking a random number) OK number 3 and 8 are just not fellow-fan friendly, remove them, leave the rest and add in that this is just satirical stuff.

Shoot, some of the funniest stuff has been when RGrant & Stallion went on their little satirical diatribes on something (even inane things like the word "moist"). Sheer force of wit in their pieces would just throw you out of your chair laughing.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 01:08 PM   #20
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Being in CA too I really sympathize with Rain.

Though boy is it bad back east right now! Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their support for CF. I'm not too worried about our detractors. yeah I get annoyed when I read it. But you can't please everyone. And we aren't worried about CF in comparison to other sites. CF wants to be CF. And we are happy to just be CF.

Me and Don really don't really care about the outside online community anymore. We just want to enjoy BG and enjoy having fun here.

There are alot of boards I would like to visit more. But there are more threads at CF than I can keep up with. I find myself giving up my admin/mod duties just so I can do art related to BG again.

I have ideas to spruce up the front page. And I already am working on sprucing up the girl there. And I have alot I want to add to the forums again. Plus I have some ideas for content I want to add.

Not worrying about the infighting and what others say really does free you!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote