Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old February 5th, 2005, 11:26 PM   #1
Rowan
On Vacation...

Default TV Series "Medium" based on a true story

from an interview at:
http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue402/interview.html

How much of Medium is real?

Dubois: The pilot episode was very accurate to my life. It was the moment where I went from being in school to be a prosecutor to having to make a choice between doing that or doing what I could do with law enforcement or to help other people. I had to make a choice. It was very pivotal. The Texas Rangers was the first case that I worked. So that was very accurate, and there was a child that disappeared. They did change some things. The officer that had the heart problem, that happened. And Hurricane Allison, that happened. Things like that. The things you would think couldn't be true happened.

Dubois: [Laughs.] I know. I want to make it clear. When I'm a jury consultant or when I profile somebody, I have never accepted payment for it, because that's how I give back, in that aspect of what I do. So I just want to put that out there, that I'm not financially gaining or getting any publicity from it, nor do I want it. I do it because it's the right thing to do, and I'm comfortable with that.

Allison, which is weirder, talking to dead people or seeing your life on TV?

Dubois: Seeing my life on TV. It was very profound for me when I watched the pilot for the first time, because I felt that I had this whole world inside of me that other people didn't understand, and to see it laid out in front of my eyes, I've never had to look at who I am before. In that respect, it was very moving to finally feel understood on many levels.

Do your children have any of your abilities, as we saw in the second episode?

Dubois: Actually, I was hoping they would not. I have three daughters. They have different aspects of it, each of them. I think Glenn pegged it pretty right on each ability that he showed each child having. And when I met Glenn, my youngest was still very, very young. And I said, "I still don't know if she does, though. She's still very young." But since that point I've gotten to see her develop. She talks to my father, who passed, quite a lot, and told me things she just couldn't have known. And so I just sit back with my hands on my head, almost apologizing for passing it on to them. But all I can do is try and make it better for them so maybe they'll be accepted if they choose to do it. But it's their choice. I've been approached to put them in the lab so they can test my kids, and I said, "Absolutely not." When they're grown, if they want to be known for this, if they want to do this, that's their choice. But while they're children, no. They're going to be kids.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:49 AM   #2
Rowan
On Vacation...

Here is another blurb on the real Allison from the NBC web page on the show: http://www.nbc.com/Medium/bios/Allison_DuBois.shtml
I'm really enjoying this show!!

Allison DuBois
as Consultant/Real-life Medium Allison DuBois’ unique story, the inspiration of the hit NBC TV show “Medium”, started during her graduating semester at the Arizona State University while interning at the District Attorney‘s office. Soon after, researchers at the University of Arizona documented her ability through a series of tests in which she scored exceptionally high on accuracy and specificity. This validation diverted Allison’s plans from becoming a prosecuting attorney to a commitment to be a professional medium/profiler.

In her short career, Allison has conducted over 1,200 personal readings. In those readings she helps to ease the pain that people carry from the effects of losing a loved one. She continues to support science as a medium used in the research of the afterlife. She has spent the last four years participating in various tests for the University of Arizona. Allison takes an active role in the direction and execution of research as a member of the Veritas Research Program Mediums Committee and is a member of the Medium Advisory Board for the Forever Family Foundation.

Allison donates her time to missing/murdered persons and criminal cases for agencies across the country. She is contacted by law enforcement and families to help find missing and murdered people. Allison also assists in jury selection for District Attorney’s Offices. Each of these is a means for her to give back to the world for being so blessed.

Allison maintains close ties to the inspiration of the show Medium as a consultant.

Allison first book, “Don’t Kiss Them Good-Bye”, published by Simon & Schuster will be on shelves March 15th, 2005. The book tells her story in her own words.
Old March 17th, 2005, 12:13 PM   #3
Rowan
On Vacation...

http://toynewsi.com/index.php?catid=191&itemid=5923

'Medium' Renewed For A Second Season

by Outsiders at 04:24:44 PM on 01/30/2005

NBC MAXIMIZES ‘MEDIUM’ AS HIT DRAMA WILL RETURN FOR A SECOND YEAR WITH FULL-SEASON ORDER IN 2005-06

OTHER-WORLDLY HIT ALSO ADDS THREE EPISODES THIS SEASON, GUARANTEEING ORIGINALS THROUGH MAY

BURBANK, Calif. -– January 28, 2005 –- NBC has given an early 22-episode renewal to its mid-season hit drama "Medium" (Mondays, 10-11 p.m. ET) – starring Patricia Arquette as a troubled medium who helps solve crimes through her dreams and visions -- for the entire 2005-06 season, it was announced today by Kevin Reilly, President, NBC Entertainment.

"With Glenn Gordon Caron's flair for developing characters, Patricia Arquette's winning performance and a unique concept for television, 'Medium' has resonated with viewers," said Reilly. "We are looking forward to more provocative stories from Caron through this year and into a second season as well."

Through its first four weeks on the schedule, "Medium" has delivered other-worldly numbers, averaging a 6.2 rating, 15 share among adults 18-49 and 15.7 million viewers overall to double NBC's averages in the time period from earlier this season. "Medium" is building by 27 percent on its 18-49 lead-in and is currently one of this season's top-15 series among adults 18-49.

"Medium" has also garnered praise from television critics across the country. Tom Shales of the Washington Post writes, "NBC's 'Medium': Rare and well done....It's white-knuckle television . . . Patricia Arquette, [is] sensationally sensitive and believable in the title role... It's smart and classy...."

Matt Roush of TV Guide says "Medium" "smartly blends domestic realism with the unnerving surrealism of Allison's paranormal adventures." The New York Times' Alessandra Stanley calls "Medium" "a stylish, well-made crime show that is suspenseful."

In addition to the early second season pickup, "Medium" will get an additional three-episode pickup for spring, bringing the total number of episodes ordered for its first season to 16 and guaranteeing original episodes through May sweeps. "Medium" is produced by Picturemaker Productions, Inc. in association with Grammnet Productions and Paramount Network Television.

From Emmy Award-winning executive producer, creator and director Caron ("Moonlighting"), "Medium" is a chilling drama series inspired by the real-life story of research medium Allison DuBois. Arquette ("Stigmata," "Flirting with Disaster") stars as a young wife and mother who, since childhood, has been struggling to make sense of her dreams and visions of dead people.

In "Medium," Allison DuBois (Arquette) is a strong-willed young mother of three, a devoted wife and law student who begins to suspect that she can talk to dead people, see the future in her dreams and read people's thoughts. Fearing for her mental health, she turns for support to her husband Joe (Jake Weber, "U-571"), an aerospace engineer, who slowly comes to believe that what his wife is telling him just might be true. The real challenge is convincing her boss, D.A. Devalos (Miguel Sandoval) -- and the other doubters in the criminal justice system -- that her psychic abilities can give them the upper hand when it comes to solving violent and horrifying crimes whose mysteries often reside with those who live beyond the grave.

Sofia Vassilieva and Maria Lark also star as Ariel and Bridget, the DuBois children. David Cubitt ("10.5") also recurs as Detective Lee Scanlon.

In addition to Caron, Kelsey Grammer ("Girlfriends"), Steve Stark and Oscar winner Ronald L. Schwary ("Ordinary People") are executive producers. "Medium" is produced by Picturemaker Productions, Inc. in association with Grammnet Productions and Paramount Network Television.
Old March 18th, 2005, 08:37 PM   #4
Lara
Squadron Leader

Thanks for posting this, Rowan, its great news that more Medium is being made.
It has been a good rater here in Australia. It shows at 8.30 on a Wed evening in the slot befor nuBSG and has cosistently rated in the top 10.

It has been a interesting show, with lots of charcter development and not too much predictability. They come accross as very real people, and its good to hear the writers are sticking to reality and not giving into the temptation to embellish. I hope they keep up the good writing. If they do, I'm sure awards and a long series will follow.

Cheers,
Lara
Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 07:02 AM   #5
Rigel_No_6

Interesting. I'll have to give this show a spin...Thanks for sharing, Rowy.

Rigel