Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 17th, 2003, 09:46 PM   #1
CaptainTux
Warrior

Default Good News! (personal)

Some of you know how much my daughter, Jessica, means to me. Some of you know she was born with a common defect in her heart. She was born with a hole between her upper chambers. Pretty common and closes in most children by 6 months of age. Hers was a bit larger than most. A little over a centimeter. The cardiologist we originally took her to wanted to operate right at 6 months. We sought a second opinion at Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago. We got to see Dr Cole and Dr Weigel. Some of the best they have to offer. They advised we wait and see. At one year there was no change...the decision was made to operate on her when she turned two (since there would be more of her to operate on). At two years old we brought her in for another echo...the damn thing shunk to 5-7mm. There still was not enough material for the less invasive "clamshell" procedure and the surgery would still be open heart, but it shunk. Though not unheard of at her age, it is very uncommon. So, the doctor suggests we wait 18 months to give whatever her body is doing a chance to do it. Yesterday was the appointment. This was the final call. I have not been online for a few days because I have been cramky and worried. All my fears that I allowed optimism and hope to bury resurfaced. I would give her a bath and see her perfect unscarred chest and feel a sick feeling in my gut. Frankly, I found myself angry at God and fate. She had done nothing to no one. As far as I am concerned, fate can do what it will to me as long as she is safe. Well, we had the final echo and the sonovabitch is less than a mm!!!! As far as the docs are concerned, it is as good as closed and we never have to see them again.

I took the little one to see Santa and paid far too much for the cute picture so I could have a momento of the day the world changed for me. I also got before and after heart pics form the cardiologists for the scrapbook.

I have felt bad that there are kids with cancer and more horrible situations that parents deal with every day and mine was treatable and I still allowed myself to worry...but she's mine so I guess it is natural.

Well, just wanted to share!

Cheers to all!!!!

Tux

Tux
CaptainTux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 03:39 AM   #2
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Default Happy for you,man!

That must have been a tough situation.
Glad it worked out so well.
Old December 18th, 2003, 08:29 AM   #3
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Here we have the smilies:

:baloon:

Wonderful, wonderful news, Tux. Mrs. Dawg and I send our congratulations and best wishes.

Merry Christmas, indeed!

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 10:01 AM   #4
Laura Elizabeth
Bad Email Address

That's fantastic news Tux. I'm so happy for you and your family!
Laura Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 12:10 PM   #5
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

That's wonderful to hear Capt Tux Such a nice surprise for Christmas.

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 12:46 PM   #6
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

What a relief! These kind of situations always seem magnified when they happen to children, especially if they are our own!
Old December 19th, 2003, 07:35 AM   #7
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

Default Am Glad to Hear That

Thumbs up.
cobrastrikelead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2003, 11:55 AM   #8
dah66
Warrior

Captain,

That's wonderful news!

Dave