Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 11th, 2003, 10:37 AM   #1
lordpenquin
Shuttle Pilot

Default New Cylon biology

I'm wondering on your theories as to the "when I die, I'll wake up in another body" comment. It appeared he was talking about transmitting his "soul" back to a cylon base. This would require a subspace transmitter and a power source. Yet when they do the autopsy, they make no mention of electronic components, only biological ones. These cylons are only 40 years past the "walking toaster" stage. How could the tech increase so much as to make a biological transmitter? A more plausible thing to do would have been to make a copy of yourself before you left thing. Kind of like the sixth day movie, where they burned your brain onto a disc, and then uploaded it into a new body.

This "immortality" issue does explain why the one model of six calmly stood there and let the cylons blow up the station with her on it. As to the imperial cylons, they are a dime a dozen with no personality, merely drones.
Old December 16th, 2003, 02:33 PM   #2
AJBryant
Bad Email Address

My cylon "biology" question:

It's now established that humanoid cylons are indistinguishable from humans -- down to blood and internal organs.

So... why did Six's spine *glow* when having sex with Baltar? Human spines don't do that. That would be a giveaway, no? And he never ever noticed it?

Second, if Boomer *is* a Cylon, why has Tyrol never seen her spine glow?

God, but that was stupid writing.

Tony
AJBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 07:00 PM   #3
ViperAce
Bad Email Address

I would think it's safe to assume that the glowing spine may indicata Cylon element of satisfaction, perhaps it is only possible for a female cylon to achieve cybergasm when their backs are facing away from their partner. Heck ... there are stranger quirks in human biology!!! LOL
ViperAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 07:32 PM   #4
baafan
Shuttle Pilot

I suspect that Six's glowing spine had more to do with the writer's trying to create some kind of effect just for us to emphasize the point that she was a Cylon and not a human. Or it could be as ViperAce suggests, her means of showing physical satisfaction.

As for the time (40 years) that it took the Cylons to increase their technology, consider that during the initial Cylon war, they must have already had some pretty good smarts or it wouldn't have been much of a war. So my guess is that they were already somewhat (if not quite abit) technologically advanced. And then consider that the Cylons are an AI race. All those AIs "computing" together has got to be some impressive computing power. So I wouldn't at all be surprised at what they were able to achieve technologically after 40 years. Heck, look at "us" at how fast we have advanced technology since 1963. Room sized computers to powerful computers that can fit in your pocket. Telephone switchboards to cell phones. 110 baud modems to multi-megabit cable modems. And on and on.

baafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 01:05 PM   #5
Antelope

Default Cylons are humans?

I think this issue will be a major plot line in a new series. I think the red spine might have been an effect for the viewer but not reality. Thus far we have NO differences between us and them after the autopsy. The Ragnar cylon's mission may have been to look the way he did (diseased) so he would be killed and taken on board the Galactica thereby giving Cylon 6/Boltar the reason to get the other cylon off the Galactica. They appear to be very religious so they may have a false illusion about what happens after they die. I see an element of the islamic fanatic "100 black eyed virgins in paradise" mentality. This might be a what came first the chicken or the egg scenario when it's over. Maybe all the Battlestar stories are a never ending sequence of creation and destruction. This story may be happening thousands of years after (or before) the original.