View Single Post
Old August 25th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #1
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Unhappy Neil Armstrong has died

Neil Armstrong, the first human to set foot on the moon, has died. He was 82.

I was in grade school at the time of the Apollo moon landings and remember how excited we all were about it, students and teachers alike. The entire student body would get to go to the cafeteria to watch some of the moon landings. It was a very incredible time in our lives; the thought of actually setting foot on ground, other than that of Earth, was mind-boggling.

Now, when I think of those days, I think of how my parents must have viewed it all. They were both born in the 1920's and literally saw this country go from horse and buggy, in some places, to seeing people landing and walking on the moon. Excitement and pride are just two words that come to mind. I'm sure that many more could be added... today, it would be -- remembrance.

My wife and I attended the Pirates-Brewers game tonight and prior to the National Anthem, we learned about Armstrong's death and the crowd paid tribute to him with a moment of silence. I didn't bow my head, though, I looked up and as fate would have it, I could see the moon. My eyes never strayed from it. A part of my heart and a part of my childhood left me today.

Then, the National Anthem was sung and it seemed to sound particularly beautiful tonight.

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories about Neil Armstroing, the space program, and the Moon landings.

Here's the article announcing his death:

Neil Armstrong

Rest in Peace

Neil Armstrong

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote