View Single Post
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #26
CBSG4ever
Warrior Ace

Location: In My Battlestar over San Diego waiting for everyone else...

Default Re: Colonial Fleets Battlestar Stats

Hello All,
I just had a screwball thought concerning the height difference of the landing bay entrance to the level of the launch tubes. Perhaps the solution is staring us right in the face? As I am not a modeler, I'm wondering if this would work. Please bare with me and allow me to explain.

A little background if I may.
I am somewhat a student of history. I do enjoy studying history quite a bit. Military history has been a particular interest to me, specifically WW2.
When the Imperial Japanese Navy designed and built their early aircraft carriers, they designed them so the deck sloped down towards the bow and stern from the middle of the ship. (picture, from the side if you will, a very flat pyramid)
Planes taking off would be rolling slightly "downhill" thus helping them gain speed for takeoff.
Conversely, a plane landing on the deck would be moving "uphill" thus helping them slow down.

So, my silly question to everyone here is: Could the Colonies have designed the landing deck entrance to ramp slightly "uphill" to help aid viper pilots in slowing down upon landing? Could this explain the height difference that seems to be such a discrepancy?

Modeling question: Would the side angle from the landing deck entrance threshold to where the launch tube level is, be too extreme to implement in reality?
Again, just a silly thought I had.

Steve

"You're gonna need a bigger boat..." Chief Brody - Jaws
"Kind of a bummer gettin' your butt kicked by a dead guy" - Col. T.C. McQueen, S:AaB-(Ray Butts)
"A kind word and a 2-by-4 is better than just a kind word" - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5
"WIVES...uh...aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves?" Starbuck - Living Legend
"Every creature in the Universe is out to exterminate us and YOU want to hire a vocal group." Boomer - Saga of a Starworld

Last edited by CBSG4ever; February 28th, 2011 at 11:15 PM..
CBSG4ever is offline   Reply With Quote