View Single Post
Old April 4th, 2004, 10:50 AM   #42
Aeneas
Warrior

Actually I never liked this ep when I was a kid. The whole "deal with the Devil" theme(along with the special effects of Iblis true nature) used to creep me out. Being an imaginative kid going through Catholic school probably didn't help much! Even after I got into literature as I got older and started enjoying works like "Faust" , "The Devil and Tom Walker" and "The Devil and Daniel Webster" WOTG still wasn't one of my fav's. Talke about childhood scars!! Lol. Even after loving "The Devil's Advocate", "Brimstone", "Spawn", "Angel Heart", and "The Devil in Miss Jones" I couldn't get into "War of the Gods"! I even got over my "Exorcist" fears and read King James' "Daemonology"before I got over WOTG! (issues, issues--smh) Maybe it was the whole idea that one demon could pull the wool over so many peoples' eyes at once.-- 'And I would've gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for that meddlin' Apollo! '

Anyway, I finally got into this ep this week(2 days ago) while going thru the DVD set(as I'm oft to do.) I started out by watching the "party scene" --#17 on WOTG's deleted scenes options.(Get this, they actually had a disco version of the "Galactica theme"-- priceless !lol.) That got me into watching the whole ep start to finish. And you know what... I LOVE IT!!! THIS IS A GREAT EPSIODE!!!
The story is well written, the setting, the whole Apollo/Iblis interplay--every thing lines up and fits in with a classic "Faust/Daniel Webster" type story.

But the best part was Sheba. She's the shining star of this ep. As the focal point of the whole story(and the Apollo/Iblis conflict), Sheba rather subtly steals the show. Anne Lockhart outdoes herself running the full range of emotions from tragic to helpless to romantic to remorseful to relieved. Now the goood part. SHE DOES ONE HELLUVA CONVINCING VAMP!!! Once Iblis get under her skin she becomes a smouldering temptress. The one snippet of the "party scene" when Apollo and Starbuck find Iblis and Sheba, she's drinking from a glass of ambrosia and the way she looks at Iblis--sent me outside for a cigarette!! Then on the dance floor with Apollo! Of couse that white outfit helped. I was always a big Anne fan-always found her attractive but man she sizzles! I guess as an adult you pick up on things in your favorite movies and show that you didn't as a kid.