View Single Post
Old June 29th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #3
WarMachine
Warrior

Default Re: Who has the better weaponry-tech

Either way, I'm pretty sure that the Battlestar wins, fairly effectively. The only advantages I can see, based on screen evidence, are that the ISD has slightly better shields, and better missile weapons. However, the energy weapon impacts that the Gal can deal out seem far higher than the ISD outputs.

As to cap-ship shielding, there are two different philosophies in place here: 'bubbles' and skin-tight 'electronic' shields (I think both ships use some form of super-conductive ablative armors). All told, I think the Battlestar probably has better shields.

Based on screen evidence, the Battlestar has the ISD in SCM (Space Combat Maneuvering).

Wing-wise, there are two things to consider: a) the RTF-Gal, and b) a full-compliment Battlestar. Almost every reference I know of to an ISD TIE fighter compliment is 72 TIE's, of various types; some places give different figures, but the ISD certainly operates no more than 100.

a) The RTF-Gal is operating a much-reduced wing, but even the meanest of the RTF Viper-drivers easily outclass even veteran TIE pilots in experience, hours in the cockpit, and number of confirmed kills. Under current (20th-21st Century) Earth rules, every Viper-driver on the Gal is a Ace, several times over.

b) At full strength, a BSG Battlestar conservatively operates between 100-150 Vipers, bare minimum.

How do Vipers stack up against TIE's?

Weapons are roughly equal in power and engagement envelope, and there appear to be no significant differences in targeting suites. Neither TIE's nor Vipers have any known shields (Note, however, that this does not apply to to all one-sentient fighters in the SW universe!).

TIE's maneuver better in tight, so if a good TIE pilot can get a Viper-driver into a turning fight, chances are the TIE pilot will get inside the Viper's turn and pull a switchback, ftw.

OTOH, the Viper has is all on the straightaway, with the added benefit of a full-reverse thruster, so a stern-chase or a closing attack is the best choice for the Colonial.

Psychologically, I think that the Viper pilots have the advantage. I base this on what I see as fatalism among TIE pilots that must exist, for one simple reason: Rebel fighters are equipped with FTL drives, TIE's aren't. It is extremely easy for a TIE pilot to be stranded in a strange system, with no habitable worlds and life support running out, when their carrier (ISD or otherwise) is either destroyed or has to leave the system in a hurry.

Quite simply, Viper pilots do not have this problem.

Over all? I think that most of the advantages lie with the Colonials in a one-on-one fight with the Imperials...The Rebels, OTOH, are a much knottier problem, but they would be far more likely to side with the Colonials, anyway.

Last edited by WarMachine; June 29th, 2011 at 11:07 PM..
WarMachine is offline   Reply With Quote