View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2005, 08:50 PM   #11
Lara
Squadron Leader

The moon landing transmission is shown in part only and it would be interesting to limit the rest of the info they recieve.
We know its earth, but the colonials might not realise it for some time (if at all) if the information was fragmenatry and non specific. They would be comparing it to other human cultures like Terra and their own pioneer settlements.

I'd prefer that the confirmation of the existance of earth came from them picking up on s SETI project transmission, not a random set of radio/TV transmissions. Someone who understands the nature of such things better than I do could surely explain a more viable scenario for that.

I believe the whole Apollo /Sheba thing needs to move slowly. I agree with Mocha that he doesn't seem the type to rush to replace Serina, who was obviously the love of his life.
If you accept the twist on the Mormon idea of sealing (which is eternal) then there may actually be specific barriers to him committing so deeply to another woman. There mat even be a deifference between marriage and sealing? Adama seems to be a church elder as well as a ships captain, and a scholar of the Book, so its reasonably to make the assumption that the family is conservative in their religious views.

HOG needs to be followed with a way of adressing the fleets new situation: the cylon threat has receded, the problems of housing and feeding so many people on such a diversity of ships must be causing problems in governence and logistics that will start to impact on the fleets priorities. The council was always written as foolish, but that shouldn't continue .
If the ep was fleshed out and lengthend, some of these changes could be forshadowed, just as the timeframe and real existance of earth is foreshadowed.

The idea of unrest within the fleet replacing the pursuit by cyclons as the source of tension/conflict is a logical step. Food riots and the rise of political groups vying for control would be fertile ground, but also takes the focus off of the established characters . The telling of the Celestra incident hinged on Starbuck's connection with an old flame.

Just some thoughts, for consideration..

Cheers,
Lara