View Single Post
Old November 9th, 2003, 02:39 AM   #3
jjrakman

Well, it was obvious that Ralph McQuarrie did work on both. So visually, it has similar elements. But the story of Adam's Ark was around long before Star Wars. And I'll admit that the only reson BSG was green lighted was because of Star Wars' success and the networks were drooling over the chance to duplicate that success.

But the fact is, BSG was simply the first post Star Wars piece of science fiction to hit either TV or theaters. So in a way, it was doomed to get the rap as a Star Wars rip off as the first post Star Wars pice of science fiction. In my opnion, if BSG hadn't come along, what ever Sci Fi piece of entertainment that came along that looked as realistic, would have gotten that same wrap. It's just unfortunate that BSG had to be the very first after Star Wars, to enter into the newly energized genre of Science Fiction at that time. Nobody saw it for what it was, the second piece of science fiction in a new more realistic genre.

But the sotry is completely unlike Star Wars, I don't know how it could be any more apart from it.

I used to always like STar Wars best with BSG a close second. And now after watching the DVD's, and being disenchanted by the Star Wars prequels, I can honestly say that I think I now like BSG better than Star Wars.