View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2004, 11:02 AM   #39
justjackrandom
Bad Email Address

Yes, there are some serious continuity and effects issues with this episode, but no more so than a large number of other episodes.

The Sheba launching scene only bothers me a little. Apparently they were trying to get it into production too fast, and didn’t have time to shoot Sheba launching with a Galactica helmet, so they used stock from LL. I have always wondered why they just didn’t let her wear the Pegasus helmet for the episode. Her jacket still has the Pegasus patch on it.

The wires didn’t bother me too much either. What did was the shot they kept in which Starbuck’s sleeve rode up over his wrist, showing bare skin while they were outside the Galactica.

I hated the effects of the Boraton runs, but again, considering the technology of SFX in those days, its not bad for the time they had.

I think that the naming of their fire-fighting agent "Boraton" was rather enlightened, suggesting with it's shown use that not only does it have the properties of a fluorinated surfactant, but also a thermal component. Boreas is Latin for the cold north wind.

I always thought that there should have been some point-defense above the landing bay entrance, or at least to cover the rear approach better. That’s a real serious design flaw.

As for fires burning in the bays, I always figured that they were either plasma fires, or as suggested here, the atmospheric maintenance fields were malfunctioning and could not be disengaged (although if that were the case, why didn’t they shuttle fire crews to the entrance of the bay to fight it from both sides?).

For all of that, I think this is a pretty good episode, with a great deal of technical info for us gear-heads, and some great character interaction and development.

My 2P

Bill
justjackrandom is offline   Reply With Quote