View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2006, 07:18 PM   #8
Unimatrix
Bad Email Address

The basic Galactica Model is from here (the truespace version I believe) and then I imported the file into blender and completely retextured it using the old Texture Pack from Scifi-Meshes.com. Then I added the turrents from Coxxen's low poly 3DS models and created some custom textures for the Olympia Name Plate and the flag on dome structure.

So I can't take credit for it all, but I am the one who put it all together and cleaned up some of the mesh in Blender. Still the Landing bays are an issue right now. We have a clever editing trick up our sleeves for that.

Everything to this point is being rendered almost exclusively in blender includes most of the explosions as particle effects. Once the renders are complete and we have a rough cut of the episode finished, I then take that sequence and open up a program called Effects Lab Pro. It is geared to make Scifi/fantasy fan films and extremely easy to use and has all the needed built in effects, such as the BSG "jump", Caprica Orange, etc. filters already there in preset mode. Also we can add darn good looking additional explosions, lighting, and muzzle flashes with the program.

On the high end of things, I have fully licenced copies of After Effects 6.5, Shake 4.0 (yes back when it costed $3000...three months AFTER I buy the program the price drops to $500), Final Cut Pro 4.5(HD), DVD Studio Pro 4.

However, the original music for the series is being composed in GarageBand and since we doing our Post Production in Effects lab, we're going to try and do as much editing as we can using iLife 06, Blender, and Effects Lab. I only plan to open Pro Tools if we need it.

So when the series is finished, we'll be selling the sound track with the composer getting all the $$$ for his efforts. We won't see a dime, but that's okay. The person doing our music is amazing. Things sound great and it's just Garageband.

We will begin releasing the series after Season 3 of Galactica. (Probably a month after) so when the rabbid fans need a fix....also it gives us time to iron out any more production problems that come our way.
Unimatrix is offline   Reply With Quote