View Single Post
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #11
startrek76

Battlestar Galactica 1978 10.0

Boxey found it hard to tell if he were making any headway with Cassiopeia or not. She certainly was stubborn, just like a girl, the preteen boy snorted.

Since his real mother, Serena, had been killed by the Cylons shortly after they had begun their flight to the stars five yarhens ago, the task of mothering him had been split up between Cassiopeia, who was Lee Starbuck's wife, Athena, who was his adopted Dad's sister and Sheba, the Captain of Pegasus's Silver Spar Squadron and his Dad's girlfriend. Leah Starbuck, his favorite friend LEE Starbuck's twin sister also played a part, mostly as his
advocate in this huge argument. Leah shared Boxey's feeling that this was a wonderful idea. In fact, Leah had offered to smuggle him onboard a Raptor ELINT/EW fighter for a ELINT patrol around the circumference of the fleet, a three or four hour ride. Tempting as that was, Boxey knew it would cost him at least a yearhen's grounding, and would kill all hope of ever getting the Viper ride with his dad.

Three months ago when he had first secured the Promise from Grandpa Adama, he had also had to gain permission for his ride-allong from the other significant adults in his life, his dad, Sheba, Athena, the Starbucks, and
Cassiopeia. The easiest to convince had been Sheba, who had been born aboard the Pegasus and had begun her flight training at ten and had been flying combat missions at fifteen. Sheba had seen nothing at all odd about Boxey wanting to ride along on a shuttling run, and she had been instrumental in convincing his dad of the wisdom of it. It had also been easy to gain Lee and Leah Starbuck's approval. It appealed to the swashbuckling little boy in Lee that was so close to the surface. In fact of all of his adult friends, Lee was the one he chose most often when he wanted to play, because it was easy for Starbuck to "shift gears" and abandon his adult personae thus becoming a small boy again.

Athena and Cassiopeia however had been appalled at the idea and had both initially resisted the idea of his ride-allong. He had however finally converted Athena to his cause by fulfilling his commitment to raise his grades in school from just adequate which he was totally satisfied with to superior, which he had to admit had pleased all of the adults, and so had been worth the effort in the long run. It had paid dividends in other areas of his daily life.

Now he was using the fact that Grandpa Adama had finally switched to his side to batter away at Cassiopeia's arguments. He could sense she was wavering, but for some reason, he was still unable to tip her over the edge into
complete support.

"Cassiopeia, I don't know what you are so worried about," Boxey said, his exasperation with her objections showing through. "It's not like the Cylons are going to attack while we're doing the shuttle. Dad, Starbuck and the others
defeated three basestars this afternoon. Even IF the Cylons wanted, they couldn't launch another attack by tomorrow morning ... it'll be weeks before they CAN gather another fleet. And its not like Dad can't fly a Viper safely
with me along."

Cassiopeia was more than a little relieved when the comm-line rang. It gave her a minute to collect her thoughts. Maybe she was wrong to oppose this ride-allong thing, after all, Apollo and Starbuck had no problem with it.
And - how far could the Pegasus be? A few light seconds a most; and Boxey was right, the destruction of three basestars had certainly broken the back of the Cylon fleet in this sector - they could look forward to weeks of delicious boredom, with only routine patrols and no Cylons.

The comm-line was Commander Adama.

"Cassiopeia, I'd like you to attend a meeting in my briefing room right now."

"Of course, Commander. "I'm on the way."

Boxey looked sourly at her. "This isn't over, I'm going on that ride-allong."

"All right, Boxey. You win. Everyone else seems to think it's a good idea, I give up." Cassiopeia said wearily.

"Really? You agree?" Boxy brightened up immediately.

"No, I don't agree, I'm simply tired of the fight. If your father and Sheba think it is a good idea ..."

"Oh, thank you, Cassiopeia, maybe dad will take me past the alien ships first, if they don't leave right away."

"Perhaps. Can you please watch Cassandra while I'm with Commander Adama?"

"Sure, she's with Muffit right now..."

TO BE CONTINUED