View Single Post
Old September 9th, 2004, 12:53 PM   #74
BRG
Warrior

Thumbs up ****

BRG awards this 3 part episode 4 stars out of 5.

As a boy I loved the 2hr movie version of this pilot, and with fond memories of my wee brother & I watching the film then running about as Starbuck & Apollo, I was a wee bit worried that it would be a dissapointment when I watched it as a man fast aproaching 30. I'm glad to say that I still love it!

The SFX are still good, although they have clearly been overtaken by the stunning visuals in TNG, Babylon 5, and other shows over the years, they still have the magic 'Star Wars' look of the late 70's. The characters are great, Apollo, Adama, Boomer, Tigh, and Baltar are brilliantlly cast & performed, Athena is stunning! And has there ever been a cooler, more likable character than Starbuck? The story is always interesting, from the opening attack though the mine field until the showdown at Carillon, it mixed great action with nice character stuff, some real emotion and a few laughs.

A few wee niggles I have with it wave probably already bean covered. First, I agree with the point that Cylon Raiders using dogfighting lasers would not be enough to take out a fleet of capital ships or wipe out a planetary population, although I assume the Raiders used kamakasi ships to take out the Battlestars, and there was unseen planatery bombardment. And there surely would have been routine patroles, and any ship entering the airspace would be intersepted, after all the RAF intersept & turn away French jets, and we have been allies for 100 years!
I still find Boxey & Muffit annoying, and Zac is a crap name for a guy in this show! Next to Apollo, Starbuck and Boomer, the name Zac seems out of place.

But apart from those wee points, it was a brilliant show, and a great start to the series!
BRG

PS- as a lad, I seem to recall Baltar was killed in this film. Strange....
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote