View Single Post
Old January 10th, 2020, 12:17 PM   #7
Jayworld
Warrior

Default Re: Richard Hatch and DeSanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titon View Post
Having worked with Richard some things are accurate and some are not that's for damn sure.

Nothing was ever good enough for the man. His visions were always a spectacle. He was always against DeSanto and Singer and never liked the direction they were going to take it. I met Tom DeSanto only once but over the years i have had multiple conversations with the man and he always was a believer in the original premis of Galactica. From my understanding Richard did not like the direction that his character was going to take with the new series. My question would have been if he didn't like that direction what the hell did he think of what GINO did? Again hollywood is based on money and when you need work you sometimes have to swallow your pride. As the man did.

9/11 was the general excuse as to why DeSanto's and SIngers project supposedly died but in my eyes it was the very excuse they needed to pan the whole project for there own twisted version of the series.

I'll never forget Galacticon when Moore pumped out his chest and said "hey i killed off Kirk". That's all i needed to hear and one of the major reason's i no longer wish to work in that town again.

I have an enormous cg library of DeSanto's concept art that was given to me early on by the man himself off of his own server. It's archived away but i built a ton of models in cg including his vision of the new cylon basestar. Maybe someday....
I agree with all of this. I met Richard several times at various conventions through the years, but what stood out to me was the HUGE reaction at the Dallas Sci-Fi Expo in 2001 at the time of the announcement of Fox's telecast movie with Singer/Desanto and some "leaked" concepts at the time. Ricard, Dirk, and Herb were in attendance and spoke about the upcoming series (of which Dirk and Herb had been signed but Richard had not). The fans in the too-small-room (roughly 250+) were ecstatic to hear any news, and Dirk and Herb were positive in their approach. It was apparent, though, that since Richard's character Apollo was either not going to be in the production or in a small scene near the end (a la Hammil's Skywalker in "The Force Awakens) that Richard was less than thrilled with the DeSanto/Singer project. I got the feeling this was because it was not HIS (Richard's) vision of what he wanted to see in a continuation Galactica, and immediately after the Q&A with all three, we were shown Richard's trailer. Interestingly, both Herb and Dirk left the room and did not stay for the trailer...