View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2005, 07:15 PM   #37
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble
After seeing a second batch of Last Exile episodes today, I'd have to disagree with my esteemed colleague.

It's not about sophistication, it's about the story mainly. Watching Last Exile made me think back too the original version of Star Wars and BSG, I got the same buzz from it. The combination of traditional cell animation, computer generated cell animation and traditional CG model vehicles and a cracking story and interesting characters can really draw you into what's on screen.

Just lately I've been seeing a lot of anime that is way beyond anything you see in live action SF – and comedy/romance strangely enough.
Peter -

I would agree wholeheartedly with you on that one. Last Exile is one of the most sophisticated anime shows that I've ever seen. The combination of 2D and 3D CGI VFX along with the traditional Anime-style characters is nothing short of breathtaking. The first 5 episodes give me a thrill no matter how many times I've seen them.

What you say about story content is also true. The complex character relationships in the storylines for both Last Exile and RahXephon make watching them completly worthwhile. Both shows are so satisfying on a story level and character development, that 3D CGI characters aren't really necessary

While what John says about Gollum is quite true, the level of CGI that is evident in today's filmmaking is proof that you can have a complete CGI character, there is one reminder - there was an actor on set for those scenes as I recall, just replaced with a digital one. I remember watching the Final Fantasy film and being amazed, but I was also staggered to find out that it took 5 years to complete the film due to it's complex nature.

I would be happy with a BSG feature film along the lines of Last Exile - the 2D & 3D CGI modeling was very impressive and less expensive than a full CGI film.

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote