Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Yet Another TOS Battlestar WIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by maudib View Post
The battlestar is a tough design to wrap your mind around. I can now see why so many others have tried to model it and it doesn't come out looking quite right. I DO NOT recommend focusing on a particular area. I use my basic art training in painting (get the overall shapes defined first, and work in the details). I meshed in the basic shapes after studying the detailed images available to arrive at an overall configuration to my satisfaction. I am still tweaking the shapes as I view the mesh and compare it to the photos. I don't use schematics anymore, but directly use the original model images. I roughly model one section such as head section, render it exactly as taken in a corresponding photo and then composite them in photoshop to see where there are any variations. I am still not happy with the landing bays, but the way I am approaching this build ( also front to back), I can tweak it without too much trouble ( too much work! once is enough).

But I am just a novice 3d modeler compared to you and others here. I don't have much else to offer.
Like other's have said, don't sell yourself short. You've accomplished a lot in the short time you've worked on the G. Take if from someone that still is trying to perfect her it takes a boat load of patience and even more time in order to get it right. The "making it look right" problem exist's for all of us but in the end it should alway's be an artist's satisfaction that you gave it your best no matter how it turns out in the end. That's how we become better.