Thread: BSG Mini
View Single Post
Old January 13th, 2004, 05:13 AM   #28
Eskimo

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawg

Here's where we part company. I find your argument (or at least your example) very much flawed (I thought so with your initial post, too). In general, in fact, I find comparing BSG to Star Trek to be comparing apples to oranges, unless you are discussing the differences in how the two franchises have been handled the last 25 years.

Here is the crux of it: Paramount supported ST, Universal didn't support BSG. When ST was revived, in the films, it was a continuation of the original series, each actor playing the roles they played in the late '60s. The universe was the same, the relationships were the same - in short, it was the same Star Trek, updated to conform with the more sophisticated audience.

Then, because the movies were so popular, came TNG. A continuation set 80 years after Kirk's Enterprise. None of the original characters, but the same universe. Recognizable. Familiar. You don't see Patrick Stewart as Kirk, or Jonathan Frakes as Spock. New characters, new ship, even, but the same, recognizable universe. (This is where your Star Trek analogy breaks down.)

Compare that with what we got as a "revival" of BSG. No comparison, is there? It's not the same universe, not the same characters, not the same relationships. Oh, the presentation was "updated", darker, more brooding, but nothing of the original is recognizable in the new. (Don't get me started on what was carried over - superficialities only, IMO.)

Responding you Dawg and all the others:

Fisrt off to those of you who think I am bashing and stirring up trouble with TOS fans I am not bashing any one. I agree with them that TOS could have made a come back if not for the mini. I would have been happy with a come back of the original cast in a story line. I wonder if most of you remember a made for TV movie fro BSG where the Galatica made it to earth which in a small sence would have ended the original story line. But there were possiblities to continue the show after that point.

Now to Dawg. I am not comparing the franchises of BSG and ST. I was using ST as a base for my point and I am srroy to say that I think that you are still missing the point. I was not reffering to a continuation of St but as the two shows running at the same time in the same time period as the same charaters. Shartner, Stewert as Kirk, Nemoy, Spiner as Spock, Kelly, Macfaden as Bones, I am sorry but I can not place Frakes as a character so use you imagination. Also the same basic story line with again minor difference to seperate the two show to make them look different. Like they did with the mini compared to the TOS of BSG. Now these two incarnations of Star Trek TOS (in the same time line and time period) could not have co-exsisted because for one, it would have confused the hell out of the fans.

So to hopfuly get my point across I finish my debate here and move on with my life and make my wife happy because she think me doing these posting is a wate of my time. But I enjoy a good debate when it come to some thing I like. Happy trails

And the answer is.............................................42