Thread: BSG Mini
View Single Post
Old January 12th, 2004, 01:22 PM   #15
The Rain
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawg
I was going to ignore this thread.

Really, I was. I don't want to start (or participate in) an argument, and since my opinion of the mini is so diametrically opposed to most of the posters in this particular forum an argument is about all I could hope for.

But there's a point that must be made here, an idea that has obviously (and by some deliberately) overlooked in this discussion.

First, how many of you have seen the Flash presentation of the DeSanto materials available through www.battlestarpegasus.com? The preproduction drawings, story, models, sets, etc? If you haven't, go download it and look at it. Go to www.cylon.org and take a look at the DeSanto pages, too. Truly fascinating material for any fan of BSG.

As you mini fans study those materials, please ponder my question:

Is it so difficult to acknowledge that a "continuation" - a production that kept the BSG universe mostly intact - could have been made in such a way that it not only satisfied TOS fans, but also the more sophisticated expectations of today's viewers?

The opening post in this thread turns a blind eye to any possibility of this; as with many posts by various troublemakers over the past several months, it simply spouts the very tired position that, basically, since it was made in 1978 it has no redeeming qualities and should be scrapped. It makes it sound like those of us who are vocal TOS fans are so stupid that we want a return to '70s hair and disco music. (FYI, that attitude is offensive. Extremely. Just FYI.)

My question is serious, and is not meant to be offensive to anyone; I am really wondering if there is anyone here who really thinks the new BSG couldn't have been done in such a way that it would satisfy all camps.

I am
Dawg
I saw the flash presentation. Very interesting. I saw the plot summary too and to be honest, I didn't care for it. Boxey as commander made absolutely zero sense to me.
No, I don't think that project would have been better. The mini was perfect. Well written, well acted, wel directed and well produced.
To make a continuation story is, to me, silly.