View Single Post
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:37 AM   #9
WarMachine
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble
Re the Galactica's Tylium Conversion Drive. Presumably it converts the Tylium into energy that drives the Galactica into the tramline then.

Is Tylium a radioactive ore?
I think it would have to be. I know that GINO 2.0 has apparently made reference to specific power outputs for Tylium, I don't have those figs, as I try not to think of GINO 2.0 at all...

The only "classic" ref's I've ever heard in re Tylium are that it is an isotope left over from exploding novae/super novae; I don't know if that's "fanon", or from the books, though.

I am totally speculating on this, but I think that Galactica bombards Tylium with antimatter to generate a massive DC energy flux that is fed into it's Jump drive. As to the various size of other vessels, I think it's fair to speculate that drive size increases expotentially with ship-mass...

The non-gearhead version of that means that the Galactica is so large because it's non-Jump sections are larger than most of the rest of the fleet combined, and as a result, it needs a far larger Jump drive than the other ships.