View Single Post
Old September 7th, 2019, 09:12 AM   #157
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
I think, looking back at the time, no one really would have raised a stink if Tigh had been kept as a black man, but retained the traits that encompassed the reimagined Tigh (alcoholic, disagreeable). Had Tigh been written that way in this not-so-distant day and age (black, alcoholic, disagreeable), the SJWs would have been in an uproar. The writers would have been accused of being racist, stereotyping the black male.
The public reaction I don't think ever would have been much then or now. But Moore seemed to reflect a view borne out of typical white-liberal-guilt syndrome that he just *had* to do it this way to make himself feel better.

Quote:
Yes, I can agree that if they wanted more empowered female characters in the spotlight, they should have just dreamt up new characters to work alongside/against the male versions of Starbuck, Boomer, and Cain.
And in this case, Moore's total unfamiliarity with the series (where he said he'd watched only the cut pilot and one episode in 25 years) made him completely ignorant of the character of Sheba. Indeed, this is something I notice a lot when people give their assessments of TOS and are critical of it. They often are relying on the theatrical cut of the pilot because for many years in the 80s and into the 90s that was the *only* thing about TOS you could have easy access to. Consequently, when I see the brushoffs of TOS about it treating the subject lightly or this instinctive view of Starbuck as the perpetual Casanova who never matured over the course the series, I realize that these people have formed their entire impression on a false read of the series (Boxey's prominence in the pilot also makes them exaggerate the amount of time he and Muffit had in the series as a whole). This is why they're clueless about Sheba, or about even big dramatic moments that are not in the theatrical cut version like the Athena-Starbuck locker scene or Adama's lonely musing after the fleeing of the Colonies.

Quote:
(Why do you think they are changing up the nature of 007 for the next film? Daniel Craig's James Bond will be yielding the designation, position and status of 007 to a black female because SJWs have thrown major shade on the character of James Bond for being toxically masculine, and supposedly racist....for all these decades...gasp...horror. How dare the 007 movies adhere to the essence of James Bond...classy, stylish, capable, stunning, charming, disarming, acerbic when necessary... for so long? Bond, nor the movies were ever racist.)
I forced myself to watch all the Craig Bond movies once and they are terrible. I never saw a worse actor in the part and the scripts were awful one to the next (and a BIG mistake that also is a sign of today's SJW trends was the insistence on keeping Judi Dench as M and exaggerating her role way out of proportion. Dench was great as a foil for Pierce Brosnan. In the Craig films she was a distraction of epic proportions. If you want to reboot Bond as a character start with a traditional M and Moneypenny already in place and not take three films to get to them!)

The Gal Godot Wonder Woman movie I saw had a lot of promise but was done in alas by needless PC concessions. On the plus side it retained the traditional telling of romance between WW and Steve Trevor (instead of going for the lesbian undercurrent that is more faddish today). But because Hollywood doesn't want to be pro-America they decided the story couldn't be World War II, where the pro-America flag-waving of the original (and which was also in the Lynda Carter series) was vital to the character. So instead we get it reset from a "good war" to World War I, though the writers were profoundly ignorant of the fact that World War I was being fought mostly by idealistic believers in the notion of "War to End All Wars" and "Make The World Safe For Democracy" (the idea that Trevor, who is not a veteran of the Western Front would hold such weary cynical sentiments is absurd). And of course we had to get the token Native American in Trevor's group to give us a momentary discourse on how bad America was to his people (and never mind that Native Americans who fought in their country's service in the military were the last people likely to utter such sentiment). The tragedy is that Godot was damned good in the part and a worthy heir to Lynda Carter.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote