View Single Post
Old September 6th, 2019, 04:20 PM   #154
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
This is good discussion....especially in the context of the current day.
I'm glad you think so and glad that we've been able to restore what I felt was a good tone of discussion we had that got lost in the big list crash.

I think the one point I have to disagree on whether the Moore thing started some of the later trends you spoke of, and because you mentioned the example as proving the opposite, is that the reimagining of Tigh I felt did play to them. Tigh was now a dislikable and dysfunctional character so all of a sudden that seemed to mean he had to be white bread rather than black because only someone white should be that dislikably dysfunctional. That was how that came off to me when I was forcing myself to watch the first season (the only season I did sit through way back when). I also was predicting how Commander Cain would be reimagined and that too I saw was borne out because once again, just like with Starbuck we couldn't have the old-fashioned male hero of renown anywhere in Moore's universe. To me, Moore made it safe for the SJW trends you're describing in other properties with what he started with Starbuck and then continued with Cain. He may not be a primary cause of it, but he's certainly a forerunner of it from my standpoint.

And I can not unfortunately agree with the argument that Moore was being more conciliatory to the old show. I listened to his commentary tracks and I heard a lot of wrong information that was making me throw things at the screen and a fundamental misperception of the show's underpinnings. I have also read his comments in that recent oral history book that covers the history of both shows and my view of him personally is as strongly negative as it was before since he *really* gets venemous about the fanbase there (and even gets ticked off at Glen Larson for being ticked off regarding Larson's suit to get credit for the pilot screenplay and then using pseudonyms.)
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote