View Single Post
Old October 25th, 2005, 07:44 AM   #31
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Battlestar Galactica 1978 Yup that was me.

Forgive me folks, I'm about to head a little off-topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior
Welcome, Gordon

So you're the one that put the animated idea into Richard's head a few years ago? I had a conversation with him about possibly doing animations of his books back when I was his webmaster. He mentioned then that someone else had brought an animation idea up with him.

On another note, regarding the reson models- Note in our gallery that the physical models category is kinda, well... empty Feel free to post pics of your models there.
Yes, that was me. I had originally contacted Richard about the possibility of getting a video copy of the Second Coming to view. I rarely make it to out-of-state conventions, so being able to see the thing was highly unlikely.

As it turned out, he wasn't completely done with it and wanted to find folks to do really pro CGI to flesh it out. My company in a many-headed monster, INCLUDING the ability to do CGI (and artistically I might add!) so he rang me up and we talked for quite a while about Galactica and the state of affairs in fandom and such. He was very excited about getting this stuff done, but was completely unprepared when I asked him for layouts or storyboards. Now, I don't control the arm of the company that does the computer work... that's the owner Mike. I told Richard to talk with Mike and that I'd have a word with Mike about getting this stuff done gratis.

Richard and Mike had a long phone conversation. The practical upshot of which was that Richard didn't actually have any storyboarded sequences nor could he adequately describe the shots he desired. Mike told him that we'd be happy to help as soon as he could give us something to work from... we weren't going to simply generate a scattering of shots in the hopes that some of them might fit into the trailer somewhere. We're more than happy to help folks out when it comes to projects like this... just be prepared to tell us what you want so we don't waste a lot of money and energy and resources getting it done for you.

That was the last we heard from Richard.

There certainly weren't any bad feelings involved... no foul, no error. But I think Richard wasn't ready with the info we needed and didn't really want to think about it. He wanted someone to come in and assume the task and get it all done. We couldn't include that in our package.

But anyway, in that first conversation I had with Richard, I threw out that I thought it might be effective as an animated show. I pretty much laid out all the stuff I mentioned above, but Richard was hot on the heels of trying to get the thing launched as a live action gig. He must have stored the idea away and came back to it later when he started to explore options other than live action.

And I STILL have never seen the trailer. UGH.

As for the resin models, I've been doing lots of replicas of odd things from the show. Some of them can be seen in my interview at: http://cylon.org/bsg/bsg-smuder-01.html

I can't post images here yet, so if anyone wants to see the stuff I'm doig, I'll gladly pass on jpegs.

-Gordon

Death to the Cylons!