View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2004, 06:39 PM   #56
Bombadil

The BG premiere was loads of fun to watch, and got the show off to a good start. But it did begin to reveal what would be a continuing pattern of not paying too much attention to details.

1,000 Cylon fighters attacked and destroyed the battlestar fleet? Not too likely! That isn't near enough fighters to do the job. And there were no equivalents of bombers or torpedo planes, just the Cyclon fighters strafing the battlestars. Not nearly enough firepower.

And the Colonial home worlds were destroyed by strafing? That was just ridiculous. The mini did better by introducing nuclear weapons, which was pretty obvious but TOS failed to pick up on it. The show just didn't have any sense of realistic proportion or scale.

One thing I did like, though, was the clear preaching of military preparedness. It wasn't very subtle at all--it was obvious to any observant child that the "peaceniks" were stupid, while the truly wise men like Adama did not love violence but knew that sometimes it had to be used. And in case anybody missed that lesson with the destruction of the Colonial home worlds, they reviewed the lesson when the new Council, ignoring the lesson they should have just learned, chose to lay down their arms to show their peaceful intent at Carillon. Again, only Adama's stubborn insistence on military preparedness saved the day. Since I happen to agree with Adama's philosophy, I liked the direction the show was headed.