View Single Post
Old December 30th, 2004, 08:56 AM   #2
justjackrandom
Bad Email Address

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjandron
I hope this is in the right forum, but I'm wondering if anyone here knows the canonical answer to whether the 12 colonies in TOS were 12 worlds in a single star system, or 12 worlds gathered around a cluster of nearby stars.
Canon is an odd thing in the Galactica milieu, and unfortunately there isn't a definitive canonical source. That being said, it was never made clear in the series or the novelization of the pilot. Even the tactical 2-D display seen on the bridge and used to indicate three of the worlds in the pilot episode does not really make it clear. However, that "map" and the way some of the worlds are referenced ("outer planets"), suggest to me that the 12 Colonies were 12 separate "worlds" (I suspect some were actually moons around gas giants) that were all part of the same trinary solar system. Also note that the Colonials in the series are fairly consistent in their use of the term "solar system" for what we would call a star system, and the term "star system" is synonymous with galaxy.

JJR
justjackrandom is offline   Reply With Quote