View Single Post
Old November 21st, 2020, 02:20 PM   #70
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Default Re: BG-05: Gun On Ice Planet Zero

I have to agree that of all the two-parters ("Greetings From Earth" doesn't count since it aired as a two hour special even though it's the worst episode to run that long), GOIPZ over time has shown more weaknesses compared to LL and WOTG. Yes, it is a fun action ride of a story, but the element of Boxey stowing away just doesn't belong and IMO only got worked into this *because* it was shot second production wise and they were being more mindful of the need to "work the kid into the story" thinking which over time they got away from. Boxey as a character works when placed in legitimate organic story needs like in LPOTG and FIS (and even "Lost Warrior" where Apollo being mindful of Boxey is why he knows he can't be tempted by the idea of staying with Vella) but not in something like this.

I am one of those people who not being science-oriented tends to be more charitable about the lack of true hard science knowledge in these kind of shows that are more a continuation of the kind of TV writing that went back to the days of "Twlight Zone" and continued in the 60s and 70s. Many episodes of "Twlight Zone" don't stand up to hard science scrutiny in the slightest. And the shows that Galactica followed on the heels of, "Space: 1999", "Logan's Run" were hardly brilliant in those areas too so I think given the times it was written in I can be more charitable but I'll concede that GOIPZ tests my patience for the same reasons you outline (the idea that they can't just change position. Even Thurston's attempts to provide an explanation for that can only work to a small degree) not to mention the fact that if the Cylon Fleet is coming up behind them, shouldn't they be acting more quickly to get out of there at the end? And Ravashol's "We'll be ready if the Cylons come back!" declaration which also gets echoed to worse effect by Megan at the end of "Young Lords" doesn't help either. If Ravashol has other things at his disposal, what are they and why doesn't the Fleet ask for *Them* in their help? (and why isn't Ravashol willing to share them?)

That GOIPZ can still work is a testament more to the actors, editing and pacing which is often needed to compensate for deficiencies in a script.

I do give them a pass on "Imperious" Leader, because I think they were warned not to use the term "Imperial" in the slightest.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote