View Single Post
Old September 27th, 2004, 11:25 AM   #38
BRG
Warrior

Battlestar Galactica 1978 *****

First class! Another 5 out of 5 episode!

This was a brilliant episode. Easily the best 1 hour episode, and on a par with Living Legend & War of the Gods as standout episodes of the series.(War of the Gods is my own favorite)

Like the other great episodes of the series, it has a mix of edge of your seat action and gripping emotional drama, with a few wee comedy moments thrown in for good mesure!
At last, Adama lets the Galactica bare her teeth and go head to head with a Basestar! We have Starbuck & Apollo going on a SAS style commando raid inside the Basestar to blind her sensors! AND we have Boomer & Sheba leading the Galactica's Viper squadrons on a full scale engagement against hundreds of Cylon Raiders! ALL IN LESS THAN AN HOUR!!!

I loved the two scenes when the women had there moment with Apollo and Starbuck just before they left on the latest suicide mission. Sheba opening up to Apollo was a wonderfull scene, played beautifully by Hatch & Lockhart. You sensed that she really hit home with Apollo, and you could read it all over his face. And Cassie reaction to Starbuck being involved in another crazy plan was also well acted. It really seemed real to me that a woman would react this way if her man was always the one chosen for these missions, even if she knew he was the best man for the job. And despite Starbuck's flippant tone in his answer as to why he was going- "Well, Apollo's going so....", it spoke of the cameradery that these men have. "All for one and one for all" someone said on another review, just look at Boomer's face when told he would not be going with Apollo & Starbuck, those words are perfect!

One other wee point. In the excellent scene in the observation dome, when Apollo speaks about how the dome is used for exploration, and how he has restored the anceint systems in his spare time, this is a nice wee callback to his discussion with Zac in Saga, when they are out on patrol and he tells his wee brother that he hopes they can return to deep space exploration after the war. A nice wee touch in my opinion!

So, an excellent episode to round off an excellent series! Why this never earned a second season is beyond me?
BRG
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote