View Single Post
Old October 8th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #2
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDBattlestar Galactica
Revivalist

Default Re: Space: 1999 30th Anniversary Megaset (Amazon)

I actually have the DVDs and the first season on Bluray. The two seasons are rather different, as it too (like many scifi series) went through a second season revamp. It became, well... campier. Now usually I wouldn't buy the bluray of a series I already have on DVD, but after reading reviews I was convinced to buy it. And I was glad I did. They did such a fantastic job of cleaning these up for HD!!! The series looks FANTASTIC! So if you were going to buy something, I'd say go for season 1 bluray. And it has a bunch of extras to boot. I do believe season 2 bluray is in the works, but I really don't know if I'd buy that.

For me season one was a neat mix of Star Trek and 2001. There is also a much stronger mythology to season 1 that I never picked up on as a kid. In fact the last ep of season 1 brings something full circle, and there is a lot of questioning about their journey being guided by an unknown force. The episodes can be a bit slow at times, but the overall production is top notch in my book. And the episode Dragon's Domain scared the crap out of me as a kid.

Hope that helps. And actually on DVD, that's not a bad price for the whole set.
David Kerin is offline   Reply With Quote