View Single Post
Old February 28th, 2014, 12:12 AM   #13
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Default Re: Question on Viper Launch

Quote:
Warrior's estimate of 30-40 degrees and repcisg's diagram showing 45 degrees are pretty close to my estimate of 45 degrees.

I built my model of the launching bays according to the studio blueprints. Assuming a ship length of 1 nautical mile these are the measurements I get.

Dimensions;
Width of 4 launchtubes at tube centerline = 92’6” along battlestar length
Launchtube spacing , center to center ,along ships axis = 30.83’ (9.3964m in 3dsmax)
Launching bay length from elevator door to launchtube entrance 54’ along tube axis
Launching bay width including column/bulkhead wall thickness along tube axis =28’7.8”
Width of elevator door =18’
angle of launchtubes = 21.5 degrees inclined towards the bow.

Those dimensions are from my 2011 notes I pulled up a few minutes ago. I think they are the current dimensions used on my current model.

here are some test old images I did around 2009 or 2010. These show several viper hangers located above the landing bay. There is plenty of room inside the hull to place large hangers above the landing bays. Due to the popular idea that the vipers are hangered below the landing deck I made a revision where there are viper hangers down below. there is much less room to place a working hanger setup down there, but it is possible as long as you dont try to make the hanger too wide.
In these pictures the viper elevator has three stops, the landing bay, the launching bay, and then up to the hanger deck. The new version is similar, but now the upper hangers are mostly for shuttlecraft and such while the lower hangers are for the vipers.

oops, tried to upload the pics but they are already on CF.
http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ad.php?t=17410

The viper model is not mine, and I wont say who's since I have not done it proper justice in that awful blue color.

I should sometime soon go ahead and fix a few things and release the current unfinished launching bay model for people to mess around with. It might give somebody a jump start on something cool.