View Single Post
Old January 17th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #12
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara
Thanks for sharing, Good looking stuff!! I hope the casting run is a financial success! (so you can do more....).

As someone who hangs with people who make and use armour, I'd like to pose you a few questions to consider... apply them or disregard them for this or other projects as you see fit

Aesthetics or function?? is the curve/part/placement there for function (strength, defense, etc) or aesthetics (enhancing the visual appeal)
If the reason is aethetic, do the Cylons care about this? Do the cylons have artistic expression??

What does (...part...) protect? Are there sensetive parts that need greater concealment?

What does part need to protect the wearer(unit) from?

How does (..part.) interact with the parts around it? Does it enhance or detract from their function? During a full range of movements?

How would it be put on? (Less critical if we assume Cylons don't really need to get dressed, but has some applicability to repairs or modifications)

What is the required degree of compromise... power vs weight, protection vs mobility, unit cost vs expendibility..

btw, I'm not trying to suggest you do 'details freak' if that isn't your thing, after all artistic expression is just as good a reason as any!!

Cheers,
Lara
Okay Lara, these are all great things to consider when building workable armour, that one human would wear and be funtionable. But, we are talking about Cylon design. Not human. We are doing a sculpt to the most exact specs of Tom DeSanto's Cylon Warrior that we can. And from what the suit design looks like, it was indeed mobile, and fully functionable. Thanks though for the suggestions.
And Sandy, Terri and I have you down for 10 of these babies!