View Single Post
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #18
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Default Re: Best SF Series that Almost Were

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
I actually liked Otherworld - it had it's good moments, but like all TV series, it had some weak ones as well. I always felt that it somewhat felt similar to Fantastic Journey, which I also enjoyed. I wouldn't have minded either series getting more screen time to develop.
Agreed. I recorded this off Sci-Fi many years ago and every time I try to sit down and watch more than an episode or two my eyes glaze over.

Still I think the series had potential.

Quote:
I never saw Mercy Point or Space Rangers - those shows were probably scheduled against something I already watched, by the time I got to them, they'd already been dropped.
Space Rangers has aired, in it's edited "movie" format, on ION. I caught part of it last year. It's not as good as the original episodes (used to have one on tape many moons ago) and watched it a few times so I know they've dropped a lot of dialogue. But if you see it on ION tune in. You can still get a feel for the series. Sadly this is also the only version that's ever been relased to VHS.

As for MERCY POINT. I have no idea. By the time the HEAVY METAL issue with a write-up for the "new" series came in my mail box it was long gone. Never even repeated an episode, AFAIK, ever. Don't think it's even been released to VHS.

Quote:
Like you, I enjoyed the Genesis II & Planet Earth pilots - they seemed share a lot of Trek-isms in terms of story structure and characters, but I thought that they had potential. Too bad they never got that chance. I was actually disappointed when those concepts and characters were retooled in Andromeda to a degree, which I just never latched onto.
1st Season was the only good season of Andromeda, IMO. After that it became inchorent nonsense. Of course that could be my memory of it because I never watched but one or two episodes every now and again when nothing else was on so I had no idea what was going on most of the time.

Quote:
I never saw the Osiris Chronicles or Island City, so I can't comment on those, but I'll have to see if there's anything of them to take a look at.
Osiris Chronicles really is, like Damocles said, Andromeda before there was an Andromeda.

It's VHS title is The Osiris Chronicles. It aired on UPN as Warlord: Battle for the Galaxy. My review linked to a (very poor resolution) trailer. Not sure if it's still up though as that review is old.
Kester Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote