View Single Post
Old August 23rd, 2004, 12:10 PM   #15
Rowan
On Vacation...

The moments of our lives are such maelstroms of chance and happenstance,we might well spend several lifetimes pondering all the paths from a single choice.And I felt Life twist the tuning knob of the phosphor of my existence, just last night. There are many times I have done this, there have been several major turning points in my life and I have often wondered how different my life might have been had I chosen differently. It has been a strugle to survive most of my life so far.
We made a once in a lifetime trek to the sparkling gem that is San Francisco, and fell under its spell of hearts left behind there. The throngs of humanity that played, and me an Artful Dodger, weaving like thread on a loom through all the cacophonous mob. With mouth-watering mint chocolate in my bag and pockets nearly empty, we waited nigh an hour to ride the Powell and Hyde for the very first time, as evening drew on.
And then the most unsettling thing happened to me. As we wended our way upand down the steepness that wizards its charm,I found myself beside someone, and suddenly outside the universe I knew. Our sides touched and seemed to linger there, and for what seemed the span of childhood’s forever,I was a different me in a different life,swallowed whole by a gentle rip in Time My spacious home in the middle of nowhere became a tiny light from an apartment window in the City, my constant loneliness a feeling of plenty in lieu. And the cold of the San Franciscan evening was warmed by another’s heart, and I knewthis person for years instead of moments.Belonging flooded my soul,and a gelfling sharing filled my eyes and mind. . I too have experienced this and it is quite surreal…
And then it was gone, this world that might have been, this joy I might have had, like foam that hesitates against the event horizon of childhood emptying baths. The touch had moved away, the press from others back, the other perfect world a flutter far away.And in a city of millions, I was so very, very alone. That sensation has haunted me most of my life.
Perhaps dreams are not fleeting wisps of thought, but worlds as real as ours. Lives we might have lived if gauche were right and hope a mint consumed. I do not know what spell the City weaved my threadbare soul,but I will never be the same.
I saw my life a butterfly in flight – and watched it fall to earth, the lifeless feather I really am.

Muffit may I say that only a butterfly in full flight could know how to elevate our minds and souls to such heights of beauty with the poetry of her words. Believe it you are no lifeless feather to us!

Affectionately,

Muffit

With great affection and warmth Gaelen

(((((((((((((((((((((MUFFIT)))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote