View Single Post
Old June 9th, 2003, 12:44 PM   #15
ravesholpulsar
Shuttle Pilot

Default ABOUT MY LETTER

Dear Jewels:

Your comments are appreciated. My first tirade was more of a "blow up". I've had to pitch movie ideas to agents and producers and I am ASTONISHED at the lack of vision most (yes, MOST) have.

Terry Gilliam said that (paraphrasing): "The small, handful of people in Hollywodd who can actually get a movie made have such a limited view of not only the world but of life that that's
why movies have little or no soul."

I'm always humbled when I see refuse disguised as entertainment. Because THAT'S an art unto itself. Battlestar Galactica: The Next Generation has only ONE thing, I ONE thing only going for it: Edward James Olmos.

A fine character actor. He will literally be carrying this show. As for what the final product will look like, here's what the sci-fi promo should look and sound like:

1. CYLONS ATTACKING VIPERS, EXLPOSIONS ETC...
2. ROCK AND ROLL MUSIC PLAYING IN THE BACKGROUND
3. PILOT SCREAMING "EEEEEHAAAAAAA!" WHEN THEY KILL CYLON SHIPS

4. ANNOUNCER SAYS (SOMETHING LIKE THIS):

COMING TO THE SCI-FI CHANNEL, FROM STAR TREK'S PRODUCER RONALD D. MOORE, COMES AN ADVENTURE OF HUMAN SURVIVAL (ROCK MUSIC STILL PLAYING DURING THE PROMO BY THE WAY)

ANNOUNCER CONTINUES:

HUMANITY MUST FIGHT TO SURVIVE (SWEATY PILOT CHICKS PRANCE COOLY AROUND DURING THOSE WORDS)

ANNOUNCER CONTINUES: AND THEIR ONLY HOPE IS MAN'S ONLY MEANS OF SURVIVAL. COMING IN DECMBER: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA.

ROCK MUSIC CONCLUDES.

NOTE: I truly hope that i'm only half right about what I've just written. I would LOVE a lush orchestral score for the promo and the telefilm itself.

Here's my nightmare scene taken from the ORIGINAL PILOT of Battlestar Galactica from 1978. The scene is between (and you guys remember) when Adama and The presidnet played by Lew Ayers speak regarding the enemy's true intent. Here's a re-write based on current events regarding the new show:

INT. PRESIDENT'S QUARTERS

The quorum of 12 have now left. THE PRESIDENT steps over to Adama who glances with little optimism at the fleet of battlestars outside the window.

PRESIDENT: I see th remake of Battlestar Galactica is not a success with all my children.

ADAMA: What awaits the fans out there is what troubles me.

PRESIDENT: Surely, you still don't cling to your suspicions about Ronald D. Moore's remake of Galactica? Ronald D. Moore and Bonnie Hammer asked for this remake. They want quality.

ADAMA: Forgive me, Mr. President but they hate the Galactica fandom with every fiber of their existence. We love character driven writing, drama, stories that make you feel.... it is an alien way of existing they will never accept.

PRESIDENT: But they have. Through Ronald D. Moore. The Sci-fi Channel WANTS to do a remake of Galactica.

ADAMA (RELUCTANT SMILE): Yes, of course... you're right.

---END TRANSMISSION

:tos:
ravesholpulsar is offline   Reply With Quote