View Single Post
Old August 21st, 2004, 05:57 PM   #164
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Quote:
Niether did I , but that didn't answer the question
I could refer you to Rule #3, you know.
But okay, since you have come to me, to me you have come. And since that is so, it explains why it is. Right. Okay, on to your question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel
Oh Great One

This humble one wishes to know why Bologna is pronounced baloney rather than bologna.
I can tell you that not only is baloney an Italian sausage but also a city in Italy where the sausage mixture originated, as well as a children's sci-fi book character named Henry P. Baloney. I can also tell you that the Brits spell baloney as "boloney". But most importantly I can tell you that the answer you seek has a similar reasoning to the following statement:

"New Yawkas don’t have an axent, da rest of da country does."

In Italy, the city of Bologna and the sandwich meat bologna are neither pronounced "baloney", but both as "bolonia" since the "g" is basically silent. It is only in America, where everyone else but us talks funny, that it somehow became distorted to sound like "baloney", probably after some lackey dropped off the "a" when spelling out the intended pronunciation "bolonia" and some other lackeys determined that the "i" implied an "ie" sound.

Ironically enough, there is a program in Europe called the Bologna Process which seeks to raise the bar of higher education in European universities. Me thinks they should start their process over here by teaching the Ammerykins the proper pronunciation of "bologna".

If reincarnation is real, I want to come back as a bowling ball...because that's how I roll.

My Creativity:
https://www.facebook.com/legoshine
My Writing Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/InSpi...47884321946870
The 14th Colony is offline   Reply With Quote