Thread: CG Galactica
View Single Post
Old January 3rd, 2011, 12:11 AM   #78
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Default Re: CG Galactica

Quote:
But that is also a good idea there regarding the underside superstructure on the Galactica, being a cargo storage unit. Then again, it's quite possible that the pilot barracks and cargo storage are all in the same superstructure. I mean, that area alone is just way too large to entirely be barracks for the ship's entire compliment of fighter pilots.
Have you ever looked at the Star Trek Constitution class heavy cruiser(TOS enterprise) deck plans? they are mainly loaded with crew quarters everywhere, along with briefing rooms, rec rooms, gymnasium, transporter rooms etc... right out to the edge of the hull. On those plans there is very little internal volume of the ship taken up by equipment and structure. I picture the Colonial Battlestar as being exactly the opposite. Mostly hardware, with areas for crew placed in where they can fit. Like a battleship, aircraft carrier or submarine.
I also think that the purpose of a battlestar is not exactly the equivalent of an aircraft carrier. I picture it as a multi-role do-everything ship. The battlestar deploys fighters like an aircraft carrier, but it then can directly engage enemy capitol ships, like a battleship. I believe the battlestar would also be used for transporting/deploying several thousand troops. We see the same thing in star-wars and even the "Starship Troopers" movie.