View Single Post
Old August 25th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #80
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: A Battlestar Called Galactica...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble View Post
Don,

You've got the advantage that the physical modellers never had, you've got a virtual Big G that can let you do unlimited add-ons while they were stuck with a model (albeit beautiful) that was only 76 inches long. So they had to make gun emplacements and landing bays at larger sizes because of the fixed scale of the miniature.

It seems that you're now 100% percent happy that the overall shape is correct hat you're now thinking about doing these things.

The hope must be that once you've finished it (in 2018) that it will be used in a professional production and that you will be compensated for its use.

In that case it's going to have to be the best that it can be (as if we had any doubts).

So, yes, you've got to have the gun emplacements with the two types of cannons.

Symmetry. Yes. Why make it hard on yourself.

Fathom out the landing bay until you feel that you've nailed it. You're going to have to pour over the landing bay scenes again and again methinks. Also, the bay must be compartmentalised to some extent. If a it wasn't the fire that takes hold in FIS would make the bay completely unusable for yahrens.

May I make a request for the observation dome?
Agree on gun placements (and don't forget that there was one at least spoken of being in use to try to take out cylons doing suicide runs into the landing bay itself and I seem to remember times a gun placement was shown right before a strafing run on the bay. (HOG, Boomer stops Adama from firing on Apollo & Starbuck's raider.)

Symetry: if there was a sound (military/tacticle reason for the asymmetry, I would lean toward accuracy to the original. If the asymmetry was a matter of not enough kit parts, or designing on the fly on a deadline, I'd go for symmetry and it's simplicity.

Landing bay: make it practical for landing craft (and for storing that EA cruiser, shuttles, raider, etc.) Lifts for vipers to repair areas or to put the launch runs a deck below or above would make a lot of sense to me.

I want that dome too, but I think I already used my turn to beg for that a while back. I love that space on the ship. Heck, I love going to the planetarium at the Children's Museum because that's as close as I can get to that space's feeling.

Loved your top view, btw Titon.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote